SASS Wire Forum

Firearms inventory software

Barbwire Bill, SASS #661

25 minutes ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

Can anyone recommend a simple firearms inventory software?  I have been using a spreadsheet but would like to upgrade to something better.   Any suggestions?   Thanks

BB 

A spreadsheet that includes a tab for sold guns is a pretty powerful tool. In Excel, if you use the Filter feature, you get a very slick Search function on every column's data element, e.g. caliber.

15 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

What could be simpler than an Excel spreadsheet?  That's what I use.

Gun Log SPC

Just a note on the "My Gun Collection" it has a disposition tab for sold /stolen and standard, collector details, condition comments, additional notes, pictures, accessories, ammunition, maintenance and gunsmith tabs. Can print out about 9 different reports and has various other features. Not as simple as a excel spreadsheet but allot more comprehensive.

2 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Just a note on the "My Gun Collection" it has a disposition tab for sold /stolen and standard, collector details, condition comments, additional notes, pictures, accessories, ammunition, maintenance and gunsmith tabs. Can print out about 9 different reports and has various other features. Not as simple as a excel spreadsheet but allot more comprehensive.

My Excel spreadsheet can do all that. If you want pictures and files or other spreadsheets, you can use the insert link feature.

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

What could be simpler than an Excel spreadsheet?  That's what I use.

Probably nothing IF you know how to use Excel.  I get impatient and have never been able to use it.

Is there something wrong with a Note Book and a Stubby Pencil???  Not that your confuser hard drive might croak and take your carefully crafted spread sheet with it??

8 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Is there something wrong with a Note Book and a Stubby Pencil???  Not that your confuser hard drive might croak and take your carefully crafted spread sheet with it??

That's what I use.  It even has a device on the end to use in case you make a mistake.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Probably nothing IF you know how to use Excel.  I get impatient and have never been able to use it.

That is not to say that other software would be entirely intuitive. Sometimes we need to be taught. Very functional spreadsheets all set up can be shared as templates. Make a list of the guns, file in the blank fields, and you're on your way.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

That's why God invented flash and thumb drives. But, I think that was like on the 337th day.

I agree with the comments about knowing how to use excel.  I never could get the hang of it.  Luckily when I was working I had someone who was an expert and helped me.

What I can say is a dedicated program set up for this purpose is probably easier to learn.  I was the manager of a large logistics unit dealing with communications equipment.  We spent two years buying  an inventory program specifically for our type of equipment because management wanted to use something generic. I can tell you the specific software worked better and was easier to learn then trying to adapt a generic program (like excel).  I agree excel would work if I wanted to create the fields I want but if there is something already made up I would rather use that.

9 minutes ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

I agree with the comments about knowing how to use excel.  I never could get the hang of it.  Luckily when I was working I had someone who was an expert and helped me.

What I can say is a dedicated program set up for this purpose is probably easier to learn.  I was the manager of a large logistics unit dealing with communications equipment.  We spent two years buying  an inventory program specifically for our type of equipment because management wanted to use something generic. I can tell you the specific software worked better and was easier to learn then trying to adapt a generic program (like excel).  I agree excel would work if I wanted to create the fields I want but if there is something already made up I would rather use that.

With templates from someone else's work you don't have to reinvent anything, just fill in the blanks. Mine even has drop down menus for the variables, so you have little to type.

A plug for a co-worker's software sold through Brownells -

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/books-amp-videos/software/firearms-values/gun-collector-software-cross-platform-prod144697.aspx

Even includes capability of cataloging any number of photos of each firearm.

But, I just use a free spreadsheet software package for my gun inventory, my bullet mold inventory, my loading data archives, etc.  Yes, you need to learn at least the first hour of a spreadsheet tutorial to be able to do this yourself.    Any good computer shop or community college probably teaches a short course in this in your home town.

good luck, GJ

5 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

My Excel spreadsheet can do all that. If you want pictures and files or other spreadsheets, you can use the insert link feature.

Yes I'm well aware what excel spreadsheets can do, some of which is amazing. But this one you don't use a link for a pic, you upload it into the program, can also print reports about 7 different ones , produce BU's for the inventory and some other stuff that excell just can't do without knowing how to work the formula's for excell. Nothing easier than letting the program do it all for you. 

But I was just throwing it out there because I like the program. Been very useful for me and don't regret the $15 I paid for it. 

58 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Harumpf

I just pull my little notebook out of the drawer and flip it open.  Don't even have to turn it on.  (Thibbit thibbit thibbit)

If a firearm gets stolen out of my vehicle, hotel or (heaven forbid) at a SASS match.  Police will have to wait until I get home get the serial number(s) out of the drawer I keep my little notebook or get the information from a spreadsheet.

With Gun Log SPC I can give the info direct to the police at the scene.  For insurance claims I can email the info along with pictures of the firearm(s) including the purchase receipt as proof of ownership. 

My house burns to the ground or a burglar steals my home computer that has by firearms spreadsheet on it, then what?

I downloaded the Gun Log SPC onto the phone.  I'll have to fool with it a bit.  Right off the bat it has no instructions so I am not sure how it works.  Right now I use this.  Probably need an upgrade but it would take me hours and hours to type my stuff into a phone with the little tiny keyboard.  And, following up on Matthews question what happens if I lose the phone?  (Serial numbers and cost covered.)

DSC_0006.thumb.jpeg.752403e6baab1cf504a13b7d094184e9.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I downloaded the Gun Log SPC onto the phone.  I'll have to fool with it a bit.  Right off the bat it has no instructions so I am not sure how it works.  Right now I use this.  Probably need an upgrade but it would take me hours and hours to type my stuff into a phone with the little tiny keyboard.  And, following up on Matthews question what happens if I lose the phone?  (Serial numbers and cost covered.)

DSC_0006.thumb.jpeg.752403e6baab1cf504a13b7d094184e9.jpeg

You can back up your phone or iPad to your computer. I share everything between my iPad and iPhone and try to back up to the computer every couple weeks. And there’s always the cloud if you want to pay for storage. High res pics gobble up allot of memory 

16 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A plug for a co-worker's software sold through Brownells -

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/books-amp-videos/software/firearms-values/gun-collector-software-cross-platform-prod144697.aspx

Even includes capability of cataloging any number of photos of each firearm.

But, I just use a free spreadsheet software package for my gun inventory, my bullet mold inventory, my loading data archives, etc.  Yes, you need to learn at least the first hour of a spreadsheet tutorial to be able to do this yourself.    Any good computer shop or community college probably teaches a short course in this in your home town.

good luck, GJ

Think this may have been the one I used before I went back military , If it is then it was nice because it would also say for example my Model 92 SRC 32-20 it would let you pick condition and it had a estimated Value for insurance purposes . Will have to check it out later

https://www.nmcollector.net/shop

I have an insurance policy on my firearms so cataloging with the price and a picture is a must

I use the app on my phone called "gun safe" - it has ability to export a PDF doc to a hard copy if needed

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Matthew, The Sky is Falling   The Sky is Falling    The Sky is Falling    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

Or, If the Sun goes SUPER NOVA!!!  Then What. :rolleyes:

Stand in the shade.

1 hour ago, Last Call Saul said:

I have an insurance policy on my firearms so cataloging with the price and a picture is a must

I use the app on my phone called "gun safe" - it has ability to export a PDF doc to a hard copy if needed

I'll look at it and see how it compares to the other one that was suggested.

7 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

If a firearm gets stolen out of my vehicle, hotel or (heaven forbid) at a SASS match.  Police will have to wait until I get home get the serial number(s) out of the drawer I keep my little notebook or get the information from a spreadsheet.

With Gun Log SPC I can give the info direct to the police at the scene.  For insurance claims I can email the info along with pictures of the firearm(s) including the purchase receipt as proof of ownership. 

My house burns to the ground or a burglar steals my home computer that has by firearms spreadsheet on it, then what?

Lose your phone? What's the best answer?...backup.

18 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Lose your phone? What's the best answer?...backup.

not really, I don't save much on my phone any more period - everything goes to the cloud. as long as you have a good data plan - no need to store anything on the phone... google drive for android, iCloud for apple - available from your phone and from any other device on the internet

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Stand in the shade.

I'll look at it and see how it compares to the other one that was suggested.

its avalaible on android, not sure about apple

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

what happens if I lose the phone?

I back up the entire phone on the desk computer

On 1/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

That's all fine and dandy til the day it burns along with the rest of your house. Been there done that which is why I use a spreadsheet saved to the cloud and backed up on another format. 

Archived