SASS Wire Forum

Door locks

Trigger Mike

Since my 18 year old suddenly left home in a rush in someone else's car I decided a change in door locks and alarm code was in order.  

As I am changing locks I'm wondering how often you get a lock that uses the same key.  The single deadbolt locks I bought didn't match anything.   The 2 double door know and deadbolt lock set , did however use the same key from the factory.  

Other times that I have done that each set had a different key.  These are the kwik set smart key sets that let's you change the lock without a locksmith 

With the Kwik Set locks you should be able to use any old Kwik key to reset the tumblers. That old box of keys you've saved over the years for fear of losing a much needed key might have a Kwik key in it you can change the locks to. Duplicates to hand out can then be made.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

=59,049 possible keys?  But they are lazy so you really get fewer?

There are a fewer combinations as there is a max step size between adjacent pins. A locksmith can cut any of the valid combinations if one wants to avoid the few available combos at the big box stores.

Also not all old Kwikset keys can be used with the new re-keyable locks. I do like the re-keyable locks though. As long as the new key is different, it really does not matter how it is different.

Locks don't really prevent a break-in, the best purpose is to ensure signs of forcible entry (for a police report and insurance claim).

On edit: I ordered my lock sets from Amazon and got a number of keys which are not on the local big box store shelves.

The rekeyable locks work pretty well.   Easy to do and if you buy two or three different ones at the beginning you have spare keys to swap to later.  

according to a friend who was a lock designer, the failure of those locks is the pin mechanism is brittle.  The professional thief will use a hardened key and simply break the pins.   Against your average person, not an issue.  

Buddy borrowed his single daughter's car to go to the grocery store, came out, inserted the key, unlocked the car doo, started the car and drove away.

At the STOP sign, leaving the parking lot, he noticed some baby stuff on the passenger seat. HUH ! ?

He looked around and saw a baby safety seat secured in the rear. OOPS

He returned to the lot, parked the car, found his daughter's car close-by and drove home.

No, I am not a locksmith. Amateur at best, sorta a hobby. Sorta. No. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night or any other night LOL.

I took up lockpicking because people get mad at you when you bust down a door or...call fire.  (Know what the first tool the ladder truck guys take off the truck? A axe. And firefighter #2 usually carries a halligan. They can get into most anything...but they're really messy usually) People getting locked out, people inside locked houses fallen and I can't get up, etc and glory be, the County locksmiths actually put on classes for us so's the bosses don't hafta answer complaints why deppity Barney did two hunnert dollars damage getting in to help mabel who fell outa bed and couldn't get up.

Yes. They sell locksets, knob AND deadbolt all keyed alike. The home store will have sets. If you look at the package, somewhere on there is the key code. Get you packages that "match" presto. You only got one key to carry for two, three, four etc doors. Most homestores will have someone who can rekey and mocks that take the same key. Kwikset keys are different than Schlage which are different that the chinchester junk they also sell.

Me no likee Kwikset. Cheap crap. Too easy to strongarm, they pick easy, they wear out easy. Dubious like Schlage. Yes they too have a budget grade. A little searching you'll see what I mean, get the "better" or "best" security ones.

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

When you buy the locksets, there is a number code on the package. Find several of the same numbered sets, and they will all be keyed alike. Any big box store will have them. All my door locks use the same key.

I didn't know that 

Back in my college days a neighbor of my girlfriend had locked herself out of he place.  No deadbolt, just the standard knob lock.  Took out my dorm meal card, nice and flexible, and was in in about 5 seconds.  They were both gobsmacked.

Quickset locks will not allow you to turn the inside knob when the locked. You have to unlock the door before you can open it.

Schlage locks will allow the inside knob to turn when the door is locked, making it easier to lock yourself out.

Archived