SASS Wire Forum

This one is for people who stay at fancy hotels

Alpo

I see this in movies and in books. Someone will be staying at the hotel, and they go to the hotel restaurant to dine. Or possibly they go to the hotel bar to get wasted. Either way, when the check is presented, they write the room number on it. Then the cost of the dinner or the booze will be added to the cost of the room.

How does the waitress know? How does she know that I really am in room 714, and I'm not some guy that just walked in off the street, ate a big meal, and signed it room 714?

Last time I charged anything to my room was on a business trip to the Netherlands. I had to give them my room number and name.  The waiter disappeared for a bit and brought me the receipt. I am assuming he checked in the computer to ensure the name matched the room number. 

In the past, showing your room key was enough

6 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Last time I charged anything to my room was on a business trip to the Netherlands. I had to give them my room number and name.  The waiter disappeared for a bit and brought me the receipt. I am assuming he checked in the computer to ensure the name matched the room number. 

That would make sense, or showing them your room key like 12 mile said. But they never do that in the book or the movie. They just sign something on the check and get up and leave the table.

When I traveled for work I stayed at some really nice hotels. If I charged something to my room I gave my room number and my name and I usually signed a receipt. What was nice, in most cases I only had to give that info once. Many hotel staff pride themselves on recognizing and remembering guest info. It’s called excellent customer service. ;)

With the amount of time I spend in motels through the summer most of the time the staff knows my name within a day or two, and the waitress at breakfast already has my order in by the time I’ve grabbed my coffee. 

I've always wondered when I watch US movies people at the bar just keep ordering and drinking and the booze keeps getting added to a tab. Is this fairdinkum or again its just for the movies?

In Australia, you order a drink at the bar you pay as soon as its poured and given to you.

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I've always wondered when I watch US movies people at the bar just keep ordering and drinking and the booze keeps getting added to a tab. Is this fairdinkum or again its just for the movies?

In Australia, you order a drink at the bar you pay as soon as its poured and given to you.

It depends on the bar. I have patronized bars that would run tabs. After a few tabs that literally shocked the hell out of me I preferred to pay for each drink as they came after that. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It depends on the bar. I have patronized bars that would run tabs. After a few tabs that literally shocked the hell out of me I preferred to pay for each drink as they came after that. :lol:

ROFLMAO !!!! :) :) :) 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don't charge to the room for that reason.  A 4 day stay was over $800 in extras, $21 shots add up.  Had a different stay where someone else was charging to the room (listening at the inside bar then went to the pool bar to order drinks).

@Buckshot Bear any bar I've been to in America has let me run a tab.  Most just take and hold the credit card until the end of the night when you close the tab.  If you forget to closeout, you have to go in the next day to get the card, closeout, leave a generous tip for the delay.  A couple rural cash only bars held my driver's license until closeout.  The local podunk farmers bar lets some of us locals run a monthly tab on trust.  Then we can grab lunch to go or have something at night on the way home in the tractor.  You make have to closeout the tab and start a ticket if you move from the bar to a table.  That way the bartender gets their tip independent of the waitress.

• 2 weeks later...

You know you have been frequenting a hotel too long when the staff starts baking your crew cakes for things like 6 month and 1 year anniversaries, your birthday, Your co-workers birthdays,  and for helping them get the wi-fi back on line more than once.

Yes I worked a project like that. Was supposed to last 3 months. Wound up taking a little over 15. the original 2 members had over 2000 hours of OT the first year. I and a couple others got voluntold at the 6 month mark. 9 days working remote followed by 9 days back at home base. For the 9 days working remote logged between 100 and 120 hours of pay.  Made some serious bank on that project.

Crew set a record for racking up motel points. 

On 9/5/2021 at 1:44 AM, Buckshot Bear said:

Some bars will require you give them your credit card that you are going to pay the tab with.

I ran a tan at the Riviera bar at the first SASS convention. I’ll never do that again! :blink:

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I ran a tan at the Riviera bar at the first SASS convention. I’ll never do that again! :blink:

image.png.c534d08be00c9f4f20c38e61e1e5db8a.png;)

27 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.c534d08be00c9f4f20c38e61e1e5db8a.png;)

I hope you are right, I mean I like him and all, but don't wanna see his "Tan lines" ...nothing personal...

Archived