SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else start off with one of these for reloading?

Buckshot Bear

Yeah, I  got one from a relative of my wife in .38/.357. I still have it later I got one in 45-70 and12 gave. I sold the 45-70 but I  still use the 12 ga. for my paper black powder loads, because the crimp station on my lee load-all sometimes rips the case off the head.

I learned to reload on a friend's Rock Chucker.  I went partners with him on a Lee 1000 (worst piece of crap I've ever loaded on).  Then, when he moved off, I bought a pair of RCBS Junior presses.  That was 1988, and I'm still loading on one of them.  I do have a set of 38 special Lee hand dies.  I loaded 50 rounds just to see if I could and they currently reside in a drawer.

Just picked up a Lee Loader for 45-70. They still are useful in the 21st Century even with Progressive and Turret presses on the bench.

I have never seen a Unitized Lee Loader.  Looks like you had a deluxe model.  Being a humble peasant all I had was the standard Lee Loader in .30-40 Krag.

Unknown-1.jpeg

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Not that, but

image.png.4f01a0c048729b03ce2b6106ad4fc58d.png

Bought one of those back in '71 right after I got my Marlin 336.  :rolleyes:

Ol' Hank and I were living in the Kappa Phi Delta fraternity house in the middle of San Francisco, and on weekends we'd hie ourselves on down to the range at Sharp Park* in Pacifica.  

Well... we had my Lyman Tong Tool, brass, bullets, and primers - but the only powder we had was a few pounds of fffg for our cap 'n' ball revolvers.  So what if the .30-30 was never meant to be a black powder round - we loaded 'em up anyway and off we went.  Kinda startled a bunch of folks in Pacifica!  ^_^

*Used to be a simple, but decent range, secluded yet easily accessible.  But some people just can't stand the idea of shooting; the range was shut down for good back in 1988 when some window-lickers several miles away claimed they were finding spent bullets in their driveways and yards.  :(

3 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

*Used to be a simple, but decent range, secluded yet easily accessible.  But some people just can't stand the idea of shooting; the range was shut down for good back in 1988 when some window-lickers several miles away claimed they were finding spent bullets in their driveways and yards.  :(

Had the same issue at a large range in North Phoenix.  People on the other side of the Interstate reported there were bullets in their swimming pools.  When range staff and police went to investigate the "bullets" were complete unfired cartridges the owners had thrown in the pool.  Fortunately the State has passed legislation to protect the range.

12 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have never seen a Unitized Lee Loader.  Looks like you had a deluxe model.  Being a humble peasant all I had was the standard Lee Loader in .30-40 Krag.

Unknown-1.jpeg

The hand priming tool was what made it deluxe from memory. How do you seat the primers in yours?

On 9/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I learned to reload on a friend's Rock Chucker.  I went partners with him on a Lee 1000 (worst piece of crap I've ever loaded on).  Then, when he moved off, I bought a pair of RCBS Junior presses.  That was 1988, and I'm still loading on one of them.  I do have a set of 38 special Lee hand dies.  I loaded 50 rounds just to see if I could and they currently reside in a drawer.

Yep, biggest POS reloading press I ever owned. The hours and hours I wasted trying to get that thing to work properly :(

Archived