SASS Wire Forum

A morning visitor!!

Michigan Slim

My wife and I went to our cabin in northern Michigan for a long weekend to celebrate our 32nd anniversary. Woke up expecting to see some deer eating corn. Nope. Just a big black raccoon! Ate about five gallon of corn!

IMG_20210802_061734656.jpg

IMG_20210802_061743881.jpg

The first bear my wife has seen. Chased it away after about fifteen minutes. Was getting pretty close.

Must be heading home from the party:

Yesterday was the birthday of Smokey Bear, who on this day, August 9 in 1944 debuted as the spokesman for fire prevention and has since become the star of the longest-running public service announcement campaign in United States history. His name was inspired by "Smokey" Joe Martin, a New York City Fire Department hero.

During World War II, with so many experienced firefighters and able-bodied men overseas, the U.S. Forest Service decided it needed a campaign to convince ordinary citizens to play a role in fire safety. In 1950 the advertising image took the form of a real bear after fire crews in New Mexico rescued a singed black bear cub who had survived a wildfire.

Smokey Bear lived out the rest of his life at the National Zoo, where he received so many letters – more than 13,000 a week – that the Postal Service in 1965 gave him his own ZIP code: 20252. It is still in use today.

Yosemite News - YosemiteNews.net | Bear artwork, Smokey the bears, Bear art

26 minutes ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

This time in Michigan, it should have lots of food options!

Unfortunately the oak worm hammered us again this year. Not going to be any acorns. We have been putting corn out to try to help a little for the does to nurse healthy fawns. 

Oh my goodness!

My first thought was, "Attair Rackety Coon ain't missed too many meals, now, has he?" -- and the I realized 'twas Bre'r B'ar ...

But, but, but... they're so cute!

Here. Let me get closer and I'll pose with the bear so you can take my picture for facebook about out Yellowstone trip...

:D

Them 'black raccoons' are from the Jurassic Coon age.   They can run like a cowardly rabbit 

OR devour anything like Godzilla.

Ya done good getting it to mosey on down the trail.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

once a bear finds food , it will return to look for more in the future . 

CB 

Yup..sadly.

Most of us in our valley remove the bird feeders.

I do what my dad did for years...I throw a few handfuls of corn out under our trees to watch the squirells, chimpunks and birds.

But, they eat it all in an hour or so...no bear bait.

We normally don't see bear untill late afternoon...mostly they riam in the wee hours by us...when all dogs are inside.

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I have banged pots together to mosey them off...

Any sudden noise, really, right?

Yep. When you see him first raise his head and get up it was because I tapped on the door frame with my finger. Real soft. Could barely hear it. He did though!

I just don't trust them.

Moose hunting at Depot Lake, in the Deux Riviere area of Ontario, we had one charge a lone hunter from over 75 yards away!

I heard Brian's trusty .303 British SMLE firing and it sounded like an auto loader!

Bear expired about 15 FEET from him.

When we skinned it out, it had 7 hits in the torso and 1 in the mouth and throat, severing the spinal cord. That was the one that stopped him.

The heart was struck by 1 bullet, others through-out the inards.

The bear was dead on it's feet and didn't know it.

We took the head and brain into MNR/Lands and Forests and the results were negative for rabies.

I don't trust bears.

Speaking of bear stories, I’ve got one if anyone’s interested.  

Some years back I was doing a lot of motorcycle riding and a group of us went up to TN/NC area for a few days.  A few of us decided to take a ride into the Smokey Mountain National Park.  We went on one of the side roads (I don’t remember which one) and were cruising along and then all of a sudden everything stopped.  Sitting in 2 lane bumper to bumper traffic we finally got to see what the hold up was, of course it was some bears near the road.  Cars were all stopped looking at them and throwing food.  The people in the car next to us wanted to feed the bears, so we had to tell them to at least wait until we could ride past, a motorcycle doesn’t give you a whole lotta protection. 

As a youngster, ~ 1955, tenting with my parents, in Yellowstone, we happened on a Bear Jam, with people out of their cars, feeding the bears.

One Citidiot was heard complaining to her husband, who was taking pictures; ""Harry! Johnny keeps sliding off the bears hump!"

We didn't want to witness what might happen, but my Father rolled down the window, just a crack, and told the woman; "Lady! That's a Grizzly Bear!" and we drove away.

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I just don't trust them.

Moose hunting at Depot Lake, in the Deux Riviere area of Ontario, we had one charge a lone hunter from over 75 yards away!

I heard Brian's trusty .303 British SMLE firing and it sounded like an auto loader!

Bear expired about 15 FEET from him.

When we skinned it out, it had 7 hits in the torso and 1 in the mouth and throat, severing the spinal cord. That was the one that stopped him.

The heart was struck by 1 bullet, others through-out the inards.

The bear was dead on it's feet and didn't know it.

We took the head and brain into MNR/Lands and Forests and the results were negative for rabies.

I don't trust bears.

Our Black Bear are usually very timid...but YES...still an animal to give distance to.

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Speaking of bear stories, I’ve got one if anyone’s interested.  

Some years back I was doing a lot of motorcycle riding and a group of us went up to TN/NC area for a few days.  A few of us decided to take a ride into the Smokey Mountain National Park.  We went on one of the side roads (I don’t remember which one) and were cruising along and then all of a sudden everything stopped.  Sitting in 2 lane bumper to bumper traffic we finally got to see what the hold up was, of course it was some bears near the road.  Cars were all stopped looking at them and throwing food.  The people in the car next to us wanted to feed the bears, so we had to tell them to at least wait until we could ride past, a motorcycle doesn’t give you a whole lotta protection. 

Throwing food out to the bears is a training for a bear to be killed.

6 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I'd be kinda concerned for the "food thrower outer"s welfare when the food runs out and the bear is still hungry .....   :unsure:

Howdy.

I hear if ya put some honey on yer cheek the bear will lick it off

and it looks like its kissing ya.

Makes a really cool selfie.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

That is a fact Sue. We quit with the bird seed and suet. Had not seen him beat the deer to the corn. Ill broadcast what I have left back in the woods. I'd hate to have to kill that bear because I wanted to see birds.

Archived