Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

Pards;

A Southern Arizona buy/sell/ trade publication had A Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle .223 Caliber, listed for $1500, that seems a bit high unless I’m out of touch with reality.  What are your thoughts on this price?  What would I expect to pay that  would be fair to both parties in a face to face deal?

Thanks for your imput.

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites

$1500 is very high unless that particular model is some very rare variant that I am unaware of.  Ended auctions over on Gunbroker put used mini 14s at around $900. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That is "better have Vaseline" high. Once you've actually owned a Mini 14, you wouldn't pay over $400 for one.....I know I wouldn't

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

That is "better have Vaseline" high. Once you've actually owned a Mini 14, you wouldn't pay over $400 for one.....I know I wouldn't

I will disagree with CS. The mini is the toughest rifle this side of an AK47 and will endure abuse that would send an AR running for momma. You have to use factory mags, the Promag ones are junk. And it will never equal an AR in accuracy, but it is a GREAT rough use gun.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mini 14s have their nook.  It is perfect for me for Coyote Hunting getting in and out of the truck.  However, it is not a target rifle.  After about three rapid fires it will tend to stray with flyers.

 

I have seven in different configurations.  The advantage of the Ranch, it is set-up to mount a scope.  There are numerous after market add-on, etc.

 

Even my one with the stainless steel Target Barrel is not worth that much however.  They have gone up in price from around $450 to more in the $800 range today.

 

I would pass on the $1500.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider, SASS# 73063
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mini-14 Ranch has it uses.  It was developed by Ruger to compete with the AR, but Ruger didn't get it into the selection competition in time.  It is much easier than an AR to break down for cleaning.  Prison systems bought them up for the guards to use on the wall  and towers.  They are sold around the world in many different calibers, but mine are all 223.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I will disagree with CS. The mini is the toughest rifle this side of an AK47 and will endure abuse that would send an AR running for momma. You have to use factory mags, the Promag ones are junk. And it will never equal an AR in accuracy, but it is a GREAT rough use gun.

 

I'll agree to disagree. The Mini worked every time, if you could hit anything beyond 50 yards though was iffy on a good mini day. I gun viced one down once. Eight inch group (with a couple of wilds) at 50. Wouldn't be my "go to" gun. Maybe it's just me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask what ever you want if it does not sell drop the price a little if it does not sell drop the price a little etc. The price of any  personal firearm is what value you put on it not the market. Your not a retailer competing with other retailers for a living your just trying to sell a piece of personal property. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it was one of the Mini-14s used by the A-Team. Those puppies could flip the bad guy's Jeeps over like they were acrobats!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cholla said:

Maybe it was one of the Mini-14s used by the A-Team. Those puppies could flip the bad guy's Jeeps over like they were acrobats!

 

 

Yeah but they were aiming for the Chevy van!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

when looking to purchase a Corvette many years ago I asked the president of the Corvette club of America how to determine the price of a corvette. his answer was the prices would be whatever anybody was  willing to pay. seems the same situation here. at $1,500, unless there's something uniquely special like serial number one, it's wsy overpriced :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

The Mini-14 Ranch has it uses.  It was developed by Ruger to compete with the AR, but Ruger didn't get it into the selection competition in time.  It is much easier than an AR to break down for cleaning.  Prison systems bought them up for the guards to use on the wall  and towers.  They are sold around the world in many different calibers, but mine are all 223.

I don't agree.  I have owned both and an AR is much easier to break down.  I can also hit targets at over 300 yds. with my AR.   Couldn't hit much past 75 yds. with the Mini.  I can break my AR down in 30-45 seconds. Can you get your Mini done that quick?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a (pre-ban), it has an aftermarket front sight-flash suppressor which added weight to the barrel, I had a little work done to it then I added a 6" barrel harmonics stabilizer which made the barrel a lot more rigid along with a 6" bi-pod.  Using a scope, I can get 5 round groups at 2- 2.5" out to around 175-200 yds. depending on the ammo used.  That doesn't mean I would rely on that at that range all the time.  but for what I want it for at 100 yds., it is perfect.

Edited by Charlie T Waite
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ruger changed the barrels over the years.  The early ones had too much vibration.  They used to sell an after market barrel stiffener to add to their accuracy.  The later ones have a better quality barrel.

 

I can break clay pigeons at 150-175 yards off of a rest with several of mine.

 

I was in the army for 28 years and I still think the Mini !4 is much easier to break down than a AR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I don't agree.  I have owned both and an AR is much easier to break down.  I can also hit targets at over 300 yds. with my AR.   Couldn't hit much past 75 yds. with the Mini.  I can break my AR down in 30-45 seconds. Can you get your Mini done that quick?

 

Yes, just pull out on the trigger housing and it comes apart.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.