Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trailrider #896

Facinating!

Recommended Posts

Yesterday, the U.S. Space Force stood up the Space Operations Command (nee USAF 14thAF).  This will be the operating arms of Space Force, with functions including cyber, intelligence and recon, plus combat ops, if such happens eventually. The designation for Space Operations Command is SPoC...officially pronounced...SPOCK! :D  My "crystal ball", which is in a bag in the basement 'cause I can't lift it anymore, is black and has three finger holes in it, doesn't tell me much.  But, I wonder...in a hundred years or so, will Star Fleet be looking back to SPoC as their heritage organization? :rolleyes:  I wonder if Lenard Nimoy is smiling.  Fascinating!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I wonder if Lenard Nimoy is smiling.  Fascinating!

You know he is!

 

”Live long and prosper.”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pssst. There will never be a Star Fleet. I think a Solar System Fleet is about the best mankind will ever do. ;)

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we crack the speed of light barrier, our terrain will change as quickly as it did with the advent of the computer.

 

But then we'll have the ethical issue of time travel to deal with, people running laps around the sun so they can see what the dinosaurs really looked like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure they will also have a  Cosmic Incident Reactionary Command - CIRC pronounced "Kirk". :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pssst. There will never be a Star Fleet. I think a Solar System Fleet is about the best mankind will ever do. ;)

 

Picky. Picky. Picky. :-P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pssst. There will never be a Star Fleet. I think a Solar System Fleet is about the best mankind will ever do. ;)

 

In 1491,  if you sailed too far out to sea, you would fall off the edge of the world (although the Greeks and others knew the Earth was round).  We won't live to see it, but perhaps our grand or great-grand-children will see inter-stellar travel. Don't forget, in Star Trek they do NOT exceed the speed of light.  They warp space around the vehicle.  But it is fun to speculate.

Live long and prosper! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 12:26 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

Yesterday, the U.S. Space Force stood up the Space Operations Command (nee USAF 14thAF).  This will be the operating arms of Space Force, with functions including cyber, intelligence and recon, plus combat ops, if such happens eventually. The designation for Space Operations Command is SPoC...officially pronounced...SPOCK! :D  My "crystal ball", which is in a bag in the basement 'cause I can't lift it anymore, is black and has three finger holes in it, doesn't tell me much.  But, I wonder...in a hundred years or so, will Star Fleet be looking back to SPoC as their heritage organization? :rolleyes:  I wonder if Lenard Nimoy is smiling.  Fascinating!

 

 

 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:47 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pssst. There will never be a Star Fleet. I think a Solar System Fleet is about the best mankind will ever do. ;)

 

I'm partial to the Sol System Defense Force.

fascinating.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything with mass cannot travel at the speed of light. I read the other day, that space, is not an empty vacuum, as a lot of folks imagine it is. It is filled with micro-particles, that, at the approaching speed of light, would shred a space craft.

Also, radiation exposure has to be dealt with. 

Worm holes? Nope. A worm hole may exist, and if it does, it is the ends of two black holes that may or may not connect up, and if they do, the size of the connection is temporary, and only a few microns wide.

Considering all the malarkey that goes on here, on Earth, it is not too likely humanity will ever do much more than explore our solar system, and surrounding areas, with non-manned craft.

Unless a quantum scientific breakthrough occurs, and we can find a way to travel fast, and not worry about the mass/speed of light problem, warp speed is impossible, with what we know now. Not my words, or ideas, just what the physicists are telling us.

Look at the pace we are going. We could have had some sort of outpost on the moon by now, if we had had that goal, and will, to do so.

As long as we have dictators like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim, Castro, and the radical muslim terrorists, we will have to spend tons of money on defense, and not on other things, like space exploration.

For now, anyway, exploring space is confined to small achievements, in our own solar system, and...the imagination.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Anything with mass cannot travel at the speed of light. I read the other day, that space, is not an empty vacuum, as a lot of folks imagine it is. It is filled with micro-particles, that, at the approaching speed of light, would shred a space craft.

Also, radiation exposure has to be dealt with. 

Worm holes? Nope. A worm hole may exist, and if it does, it is the ends of two black holes that may or may not connect up, and if they do, the size of the connection is temporary, and only a few microns wide.

Considering all the malarkey that goes on here, on Earth, it is not too likely humanity will ever do much more than explore our solar system, and surrounding areas, with non-manned craft.

Unless a quantum scientific breakthrough occurs, and we can find a way to travel fast, and not worry about the mass/speed of light problem, warp speed is impossible, with what we know now. Not my words, or ideas, just what the physicists are telling us.

Look at the pace we are going. We could have had some sort of outpost on the moon by now, if we had had that goal, and will, to do so.

As long as we have dictators like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim, Castro, and the radical muslim terrorists, we will have to spend tons of money on defense, and not on other things, like space exploration.

For now, anyway, exploring space is confined to small achievements, in our own solar system, and...the imagination.

 

 

 

 

 


Which is why “they” (aliens) watch us. If we ever do make progress in any technology besides what we have now “they” will more than likely step in to keep us from doing anything stupid to the rest of the galaxy or universe. 
 

 

Just my theory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of aliens...well, people of faith can, and do, believe that there is life out there, but existing in a different realm. They also believe that that life can, and has, and does, visit our realm...so perhaps those are the aliens that so many have experienced seeing, over the millennia. That also might explain why some of our aircraft have tracked a u.f.o., and witnessed it making a 90 degree turn at hyper-speed that would not be possible for our aircraft to do. It defies the laws of physics, in our universe. Also, it may make sense that because something, with mass, cannot travel at the speed of light, it could preclude aliens, from our own universe/realm, from being able to travel the vast distances to visit Earth...but that beings, from a different realm, would not have that handicap. The mathematical odds of another planet, being able sustain life, because of the narrow window of just right things that have to be in place, is staggeringly high. The more science learns, the more they find out that if things are off by an incredibly small percentage, that life cannot happen.   

I am not saying that is the only explanation, or even the correct explanation...just AN explanation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 12:24 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

In 1491,  if you sailed too far out to sea, you would fall off the edge of the world (although the Greeks and others knew the Earth was round).  We won't live to see it, but perhaps our grand or great-grand-children will see inter-stellar travel. Don't forget, in Star Trek they do NOT exceed the speed of light.  They warp space around the vehicle.  But it is fun to speculate.

Live long and prosper! 

Only the Vatican still believed this in 1491.  The Vikings, the Chinese and possibly others had already sailed to lands beyond the horizons and maps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me start this with a disclaimer:

I am not writing this to slam religion or promote anything above religion. This was my perspective as a teenager. 
 

Years ago my Dad, an ordained minister without a flock, and my Uncle, a Nazarene minister with a sizable church, and a couple of my Dad’s friends were discussing something in the Bible. 
My Uncle, who I love dearly and who always tried to include me in any conversation, asked me who or what I thought God was. 
I was 17 at the time and I had thought a lot about this. In my house I could not watch Sci-Fi or read Sci-Fi. It was forbidden by my Dad, which didn’t matter to me. I watched Sci-Fi when he wasn’t around and read in my room. I often countered religious teachings with possible scientific reasons for things that happened. My Uncle was often fascinated by my take on things and encouraged discussion on them. My Dad did not. He would have made a very good Medieval Priest...Iron Maidens and all...

Anyway, back to my Uncle’s question; “Thomas, (he always called me Thomas) who do you think Or what do you God is?”

For a split second anxiety arose in me as I looked at my Dad. His scowl told me “Boy, shut up and go away.” Then I decided to pose my theories. 
“Well, since you asked...” 

I went on to posit that God was not a single entity but an alien race or races. They used DNA manipulation to create modern man from Cro Magnon man. In their early studies they decided to seed the men they created or races they created with “religion” to give them guidance so as not to have their creation wipe themselves out. I explained the miracles of the Old and New Testaments as scientific proposals; The burning bush - electronic communications device, probably a small landing craft.

The Battle of Jericho - a beam shot from outer space that caused a localized earthquake. “God” asked Joshua to march in order for the aliens to have time to get their earthquake generating equipment on line. 
Angels - aliens with the ability to fly. 
Fiery chariots - personal spacecraft. 
Different races came from different experimentation. They were given different religions, different ways of life. The alien experiment was to see what would work best for these beings they created called “humans”.

I went on explaining lots of Old Testament events using my scientific, or sci-fi based speculation. 
Then I came to The New Testament and Jesus. I explained the 30 year gap in the lack of history and writings of Jesus as alien training. The aliens knew that the “old” religions weren’t going to work out as populations exploded. 

I explained miracles with science based speculation. I explained Jesus rising from the grave and the angels that the people encountered and how they possibly used devices to rejuvenate him. 
I explained the Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu religions. I explained the culture American Indians and the Indians of Central and South Americas. 
I explained that perhaps all these culture were formed for the aliens to study our progression to see what culture became dominant. 
I also speculated that perhaps Earth was nothing more than an alien high school study program for their students to learn biology and how life forms interact and how insects, viruses and bacteria play a part. 
I literally went in for an hour while my Dad glared at me, my Uncle smiled in fascination and my Dad’s two friends sat open-mouthed listening. They were probably wondering what torture would be wrought upon me for my transgressions and keeping score baffled that I just wouldn’t shut up before I reached punishment critical mass. 
 

Finally my Dad had had enough and told me to go to my room “We’ll talk tomorrow”. Code for “Your in deep (crap) boy”.

As I walked away my Uncle grabbed my arm and said “God created that imagination of yours.” And then he wished me good night. 
 

My Dad never spoke to me about my theories. I think he was at afraid it would cause an even bigger rift between us. I left home shortly after this. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 12:47 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pssst. There will never be a Star Fleet. I think a Solar System Fleet is about the best mankind will ever do. ;)

 

You know we always inflate things. Did the World Series ever include a team from another continent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You know we always inflate things. Did the World Series ever include a team from another continent?

What other female contestants besides Earth women participate in the Miss Universe contest? :rolleyes:

 

Tom Bullweed - "Only the Vatican still believed this in 1491.  The Vikings, the Chinese and possibly others had already sailed to lands beyond the horizons and maps".

 

The Greek, Ptolomay (sp?) who rule Egypt had the diameter of the Earth pretty closely calculated as well.  In the 15th Century, who could have conceived of orbiting the Earth or having reached the Moon by humans?  Who knows what technology will enable us to reach the stars in the future...or, for that matter, what other alien cultures have already developed the capability to reach us?  I have NO idea what those lights were over Echo Flight and Oscar in the Malmstrom AFB complex in 1966. Whatever they might have been, all ten "birds" in Echo and some in "Oscar" shut down, and they weren't supposed to do that!  Ezekiel saw the wheel, way up in the middle of the air.  What was that "wheel" he said he saw? :unsure: As I said to start...fascinating!

Stay well and safe!

  •  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

 Who knows what technology will enable us to reach the stars in the future...or, for that matter, what other alien cultures have already developed the capability to reach us? 

 

And those who did visit Earth and decided, “Let’s move on, there’s no intelligent life there.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What other female contestants besides Earth women participate in the Miss Universe contest? :rolleyes:

 

Tom Bullweed - "Only the Vatican still believed this in 1491.  The Vikings, the Chinese and possibly others had already sailed to lands beyond the horizons and maps".

 

The Greek, Ptolomay (sp?) who rule Egypt had the diameter of the Earth pretty closely calculated as well.  In the 15th Century, who could have conceived of orbiting the Earth or having reached the Moon by humans?  Who knows what technology will enable us to reach the stars in the future...or, for that matter, what other alien cultures have already developed the capability to reach us?  I have NO idea what those lights were over Echo Flight and Oscar in the Malmstrom AFB complex in 1966. Whatever they might have been, all ten "birds" in Echo and some in "Oscar" shut down, and they weren't supposed to do that!  Ezekiel saw the wheel, way up in the middle of the air.  What was that "wheel" he said he saw? :unsure: As I said to start...fascinating!

Stay well and safe!

  •  

 

Does the rest of the universe have females?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 10:32 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:


Which is why “they” (aliens) watch us. If we ever do make progress in any technology besides what we have now “they” will more than likely step in to keep us from doing anything stupid to the rest of the galaxy or universe. 
 

 

Just my theory. 

The central theme of the 1950s sci fi classic, “The Day the Earth Stood Still”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The central theme of the 1950s sci fi classic, “The Day the Earth Stood Still”.

Yep. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scientific advances I've witnessed in my lifetime have taken us from manual adding machines and slide rules to super computers.  We have gone from dreaming about space to having people routinely live on the space station, robots wandering around Mars and hundreds of satellites circling the Earth for routine weather and communications.  I have no doubt that in the next several lifetimes, there will be a breakthrough that will enable long distance space travel.  The solution is out there.  It's just going to take the right person to figure it out.   If we don't blow ourselves up first.

 

It's a mighty big universe for just us.  I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones living in it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know, or some of us do, that if other, higher, life forms exist, in other locations of the universe, then, mathematically speaking we have to rule out random chance as a causal effect.

 

For example, a molecule of hemoglobin. Certain atoms must bond together to form molecules, and then those molecules have to bond together, with other molecules, in a certain way, to form a molecule of hemoglobin.

The Law of Specificity states the mathematical possibility of things coming together, at random, to produce a certain thing.

In this case of hemoglobin, the Specificity of hemoglobin is: one chance in 10 to the 650th power (that is one with 650 zeros behind it) that a molecule of hemoglobin came together by random chance.

.

To put this large figure in some sort of perspective, the universe is 10 to the 18th power seconds old.

 

Another example is a T-4, which is a microscopic critter that feeds on bacteria. It has a very "simple" DNA structure, compared to larger critters.

The mathematical possibility, or Specificity, of a T-4 coming together, by random chance, is; one chance in 10 to the 78,000th power.

That's one with 78,000 zeros behind it.

 

The point of this, of course, is to state that random chance cannot be a causal factor...the odds are too high.

 

Now, once-upon-a-time, scientists believed the universe was eternal...that it did not have a beginning. Today, scientists agree that the universe did have a beginning. Herein lies the problem. If the universe did not have a beginning, then random chance would have mathematically better odds of being a causal agent. However, since science now believes the universe is about 13.8 billion years old, there is not enough time for random chance to be a causal agent, because of the super complexity of everything.

 

So...if there are higher life forms, elsewhere in the universe, then there had to be a lot of things that happened, at just the right time, at just the right place, in just the right sequence, and that would also depend on a lot of other things happening at just the right time, at just the right place, in just the right sequence, as well. .

 

Random chance, mathematically, cannot have been a causal effect. We have to look elsewhere for the causal effect.

 

For instance, the late Harvard biologist, Stephen Gould, stated that cosmologists estimate the Earth to be 4.55 billion years old. He then stated that humans would require 60 trillion contingent events, over that 4.55 billion years, to get to where we are today, i.e. Homo Sapiens. He stated that, that factors out to 36 necessary events, PER DAY, that had to occur: in the right place, at the right time, in the right sequence...and that doesn't take into account the "accidents" necessary, to form the tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of separate ecosystems.

 

If higher alien life exists, somewhere else in the universe, and matches, or exceeds humanity, here on Earth, then their complexity of events, that caused them to be here, have to at least be equal to, or greater, than what Dr. Gould stated about man here on Earth.

 

Not saying other higher life forms could not, or did not happen, just saying the math indicates that there had to be a causal effect to initiate that, other than random chance. Since we now know that the universe had a beginning, and we believe it was 13.8 billion years ago, then any other higher life form started off at square one, just like we did. There had to be just as many, or more, "just right" things happen, at just the right time, in just the right place, in just the right sequence, for them to exist....just like we did. What are the odds?

 

If we state: they exist, so that must mean the "just right" things occurred, and since the "just right" things occurred, means they exist...is circular reasoning.

 

At this point-in-time, we have no proof that aliens exist....or if someone, or some government, does have the proof, it has not been made public, yet.

 

Today, we have a lot of "sightings" of U.F.O.'s. I myself have seen a group of U.F.O's, flying in a straight line, but that doesn't mean they were alien spacecraft from another planet. It could have been our own flying craft. A U.F.O. does not mean a flying saucer from another planet. It just means it was flying, it was an object, and it was not identifiable....that's all.

 

To date, we have no real concrete proof. Will we at some point? Time will tell.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UFO sightings are easily explained.

 

You see, the Earth is actually a wildlife sanctuary for the galactically endangered mosquito and the UFO's being sighted are the ET's equivalent of the tourists that get ran over by buffalo or gored by deer at our national parks.:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spock was great but I'll take her anyday! Wonder what she thinks about it?image.thumb.png.38bf23cff5245147b63691f6eea8cfa8.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it weren't for the fall of the Roman Empire and the oppression of the Catholic church, we would be 1,000 years ahead in technology.  That would be an interesting book to read.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If it weren't for the fall of the Roman Empire and the oppression of the Catholic church, we would be 1,000 years ahead in technology.  That would be an interesting book to read.  

Agreed.

 

The burning of the Library of Alexandria set us back at least 3 centuries by itself.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Spock was great but I'll take her anyday! Wonder what she thinks about it?image.thumb.png.38bf23cff5245147b63691f6eea8cfa8.png


Me! :wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.