SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS .22 wanted

AlOvera

I am searching for a back yard Squirrel buster.  I'd like a smooth bored .22 of some sort, a smooth bored barrel only, for a Ruger 10-22, or maybe an older .22 bolt gun with a shot out barrel I could ream out.   Anyone got anything or even a suggestion.  D@mn tree rats are destroying my pecan crop.    Bigger bore S/G isn't an option.  Not looking to spend a fortune on this project.

Thanks

Al

I haven't looked this up but I would think it was illegal to bore a barrel to remove rifling? Any way, I dispatched them in my backyard using a Rossi Pump and Colibri 22's. They would drop, but then needed a coup de grace to finish.

Guess wanting to shoot shot shells from smoothbore 22LR.  Not seeing where that would have more range than a good pellet rifle.  No neighbor problems,  I use Goody's technique with a Remington bole shooting CCI CB Longs.    GW       Happy hunting 

28 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I haven't looked this up but I would think it was illegal to bore a barrel to remove rifling? Any way, I dispatched them in my backyard using a Rossi Pump and Colibri 22's. They would drop, but then needed a coup de grace to finish.

Same here, except with a Winchester 1906 pump.  In a few weeks I move up to Buzzard Hill.  A .410 will take care of business up there.

Think you will be very disappointed in the range of .22 shot shells!   I used a bunch when I was a kid, and was lucky to get even a few sparrows that I shot at 20 feet.  Never wanted to try it on squirrels after that result.  Use CB caps, or the CCI Quiet 22 LR shells if you don't have a "bullet fall" potential hazard within a mile.  Or a .22 pellet gun with several strokes if you do.

Good luck, GJ

I have dispatched many a Tree Rat with the Aguila Colibri .22 powderless ammo in a lever action .22 Henry

It's no louder than a pellet gun and very accurate up to about 100 ft.

The ammo wont cycle a semi auto but works just fine in any lever, pump or single shot .22

And the neighbors never hear a thing   B)

The Super Colibri has a little more Punch... But it also makes a noticeable Pop.

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I have dispatched many a Tree Rat with the Aguila Colibri .22 powderless ammo in a lever action .22 Henry

It's no louder than a pellet gun and very accurate up to about 100 ft.

The ammo wont cycle a semi auto but works just fine in any lever, pump or single shot .22

And the neighbors never hear a thing   B)

The Super Colibri has a little more Punch... But it also makes a noticeable Pop.

You do have to be careful. They caution against using in a rifle because the longer barrel can cause enough friction to stick the bullet. They work fine in the two Rossi's I have, plus in the Marlin 39. But I had a single shot Mauser that they would stick about half way down. So always shoot one into a visible target and be sure that they pass down the barrel.

Ya' know, after reading all the responses on this subject, I might be better off  going another direction.  I did research smooth boring a rifled barrel, and so long as it is 18.5 in or longer it is legal, according to the ATF.  BUT, the cost and (looks like) results might not be worth it.  I did look at the BB cap shells, and they are really hard to find, and costly when you do.  Might be better off to look at a Silenco .22 air rifle.  Just goes to show, ask and you shall recieve.  Thanks Guys!!

Al

Howdy,

A friend of mine had a lever .22 and used some lower power ammo 

the trick was a long barrel 24 maybe 26 inch.

That lets every bit of the powder burn.

Anyhow I was surprised how quiet it was.

Maybe check into that.

Henry has a smoothbore if there are any in stock.

Best

CR

There was a commercial made 22 rifle for about 140 dollars... I think it was a Savage or Stevens . It was a smooth bore

14 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

There was a commercial made 22 rifle for about 140 dollars... I think it was a Savage or Stevens . It was a smooth bore

Savage garden gun 50703.  I’ve never seen it priced below $200.

There is a factory 10/22 barrel with sights on ebay for $20 bid and $10 shipping.

I bought a .22 and .177 caliber Crosman backpacker and can nail tree rats with either out to 50yds.  Only cost me $70 or so at air pyramid through amazon and man they are great.  10 pump, so you can regulate power.  Reliable design and lots of aftermarket parts if something ever breaks or you want to upgrade.  I would think the greater range of a quality Airgun would better suit your needs.  Even a garden gun is near useless beyond 15 yds in my experience.  

I have a stoeger ATAC break barrel pellet rifle, the one with a built in “suppressor” barrel. It’s whisper quiet and at 1200 FPS with a hollow point pellet it reaches out.  The scope zooms to 16 and you can watch the pellet go right in their eye.  

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/stoeger-atac-suppressor-177-air-rifle-with-scope

Archived