SASS Wire Forum

Going to an indoor range

Rye Miles #13621

I live within 10 miles of 3 gun shop/shooting ranges, one is 5 miles the other two are about 10-12. I can even go 25 miles and catch another 2 or 3. 

Well since I'm bored and no cowboy shoots I'm thinking about going maybe once a week to the indoor range. 

I'm hesitant because of this creepy virus, whadyall think?? Should I go and try to take as many precautions as I can? I trust that the gun shops/ranges are doing the same. Hopefully they are!!

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but no. 

Outdoor range where I can have distance from others, yes.

Indoors, not right now, no.

All the doom and gloom is getting to me...

Absolutely not. I doubt they will be open much longer anyway. They’re closed here. 
If I was home I’d shoot at my range. But not an indoor one with other shooters. I’m in the high risk group like a lot of us here

I do firmly believe that 40g of FFG will prevent CoVid 19. 
Not sure the CDC agrees. ;)

The shops with indoor ranges near me have closed the range. They are still open and selling guns and ammo but the range is closed. Also my local shop was told by his ATF rep not to let people handle the firearms to prevent spread of germs during this pandemic. At least that's what he told me when I went to look at something. I really have no reason to not believe him as he's always handed me everything i've been interested in to check out. 

The indoor ranges here are limiting shooters to maintain a safe distance between shooters like shooting in every other stall instead of packing them in.

That said you've all confirmed what I've been thinking. It's not worth the risk!

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't indoor ranges have positive airflow down range so that all the smoke and lead dust is moved away form the shooters?

Not good enough. And it depends on state standards.

There IS NO “safe” distance!!

Do not go to any gun range right now, indoor or outdoor.

That’s my advice, anyway.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

The shops with indoor ranges near me have closed the range. They are still open and selling guns and ammo but the range is closed. Also my local shop was told by his ATF rep not to let people handle the firearms to prevent spread of germs during this pandemic. At least that's what he told me when I went to look at something. I really have no reason to not believe him as he's always handed me everything i've been interested in to check out. 

Yeah, sure.  As if BATFE can arbitrarily add medical directives and enforcement of such to their authority and responsibility.  

Cat Brules

8 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

I have to agree with Cat on this one.  Think about it.  If all of our local matches, and even EOT, are cancelled due to the threat of exposure, why would an indoor range be a good idea?

30 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

A sneeze can spew particles up to 20 feet.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but no.

Outdoor range where I can have distance from others, yes.

Indoors, not right now, no.

All the doom and gloom is getting to me...

+1,000,000

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't indoor ranges have positive airflow down range so that all the smoke and lead dust is moved away form the shooters?

Unfortunately many indoor ranges don't even properly clear the air of lead particles, let alone COVID-19. The ones near me have been busted by the EPA several times for violating health standards.

There’s one about 20 miles from me that was built 5-6 years ago from the ground up. It’s state of the art. I’m not worried about the air as much as I am other people there. 

I just found out that two of the ranges here have closed but the store is open. There's one that is open and limiting it to 6 -8 shooters at one time. There's 14 stalls. This is the one 4 miles from my house and I used to work there part time. 

I may go later this week, I'm still thinking about it!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just found out that two of the ranges here have closed but the store is open. There's one that is open and limiting it to 6 -8 shooters at one time. There's 14 stalls. This is the one 4 miles from my house and I used to work there part time. 

I may go later this week, I'm still thinking about it!

If it was me,  I wouldn’t go. Not only might I contract the virus, but I might infect loved ones. Not worth the risk.

I love guns and I love shooting.

I love life and my family more.

Archived