SASS Wire Forum

Spring break

doc roy l. pain

I guess I have too much time on my hand since we are in basic lockdown. 

Anyway, while we are “sheltering in place” and putting our lives on hold, thousands of young people are flooding the beaches in Florida, Alabama, and Texas on spring break without any concern for the virus.  What’s your take on that?

16 minutes ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Very irresponsible. They will be bringing the virus back to their family and community. But what do you expect, most were brought up thinking of nothing but themselves. 

Exactly what T.J. wrote.

:angry::angry::angry:

PS I had additional thoughts on their IQs.

1 hour ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Anyway, while we are “sheltering in place” and putting our lives on hold, thousands of young people are flooding the beaches in Florida, Alabama, and Texas on spring break without any concern for the virus.  What’s your take on that?

If it is Clearwater Beach, they'll be stuck in traffic for so long they'll know if they have the virus by the time they get to the mainland.

1 hour ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Very irresponsible. They will be bringing the virus back to their family and community. But what do you expect, most were brought up thinking of nothing but themselves. 

PERFECT!  Right on the mark.

Just think of those kids and their families and whatever the CV19 kill ratio turns out to be.  As they say, you can’t fix stupid; that’s too bad.

Cat Brules

I think every one of the little selfish bas#@%ds should be locked up and quarantined for willful public endangerment. The parents should pay for the incarceration.

Why would it be irresponsible?

They watch the news and WE are all told the virus can't live in warm weather.

Soooo, they head to the beach thinking its the safest place to hang out for a week or so.

Don't get me wrong..... I wouldn't do it nor would I want to be involved with ANY crowd

regardless of the weather or temperature.

But really, being outside in warm weather, on the beach, could very well be one of the safest

places on earth at this time.

..........Widder

When I was a youngster, I never went near Ft. Lauderdale during Spring Break.  No, I went to a beach further North, up the coast, March of 1960.  Cocoa Beach, to be exact.  Wasn't crowded at all.  All I had to do was watch out for automobile traffic on the beach (they don't allow that anymore).  Would go out at various times of the day or night, and watched to see if the red ball or red light was up just south of the Cape!  Unless there was a delay, big rockets would shortly launch.  The next summer, 1961, I went back for a summer job with the Navy Polaris Program.  Now those were "breaks" worth going to! B)

19 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I have seen pictures of ft. Lauderdale beach.  Nearly empty.

57 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Soooo, they head to the beach thinking its the safest place to hang out for a week or so.

Don't get me wrong..... I wouldn't do it nor would I want to be involved with ANY crowd

But really, being outside in warm weather, on the beach, could very well be one of the safest

..........Widder

Hi Widder,

I don't remember anything about the virus not being to live in warm weather. I do remember it being less likely to live in warm weather. Also, we've never experienced this specific virus before.

What would you think if some, even one, people was infected, didn't know it and went?

That is the issue as I see it.

:wub:

AM

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Nope. Only if there weren't any people around you. Among thousands of drunk Spring Breakers is not where I'd want to be. If I were a parent and my kid did it,  I would pull the plug on their education on the spot. Life is full of choices, kids.

Howdy Allie.

I've heard (unofficially, of course) that the virus becomes dormant somewhere around 78-82 degrees.

BUT, I have read on FOX news and and seen on local news that our 'experts' are hoping for warmer weather to help

fight off the virus, although no exact temperature was stated.

That being the case, I'm sure a good many of those college students have read the same information

and figured ... "Why Not.   Its warm down there".    So, off they go to the beach.   

Those students were only making their decisions on present and every changing information, just like

the Mayors and Governors are doing.

I agree that it would be a bad thing for an unknown carrier to go down there and infect

1000's of folks.

I'm just guessing that many of them were relying on particular information they were

getting and felt reasonably safe to enjoy their spring break.

We gotta remember that when many of these folks traveled down to Florida, they were

getting information that we got last weekend.

Since then, much more has changed.   Enough that they closed the beaches.

But the beaches were still open last weekend and the officials in Florida didn't

do anything to stop them from coming.

If we judge the college kids irresponsible, then we could judge the government officials

as more irresponsible for not closing the beaches last weekend.

Right or wrong, good or bad, that how I was thinking.

Hope you and Jess stay well and I'm glad your living provisions are sufficient to keep you safe at home.

As for us (me and the Bunkhouse Boss), we have some stuff to live off.

I'm just glad I like oatmeal..... :)

..........Widder

46 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nope. Only if there weren't any people around you. Among thousands of drunk Spring Breakers is not where I'd want to be. If I were a parent and my kid did it,  I would pull the plug on their education on the spot. Life is full of choices, kids.

Howdy UB.

I can't and won't defend the fact that many of those students are irresponsible.  But that would be the

situation even if they didn't travel down to Florida for spring break.

The point I'm making is that we can judge them irresponsible now, but when they left on their

trip last weekend, the present situation had not manifested itself.

Last Sunday, our local Church was having normal Sunday services.

NOW... ALL services are cancelled due to just the last 3-4 days of changes.

If those students are irresponsible, then how would you judge the government officials down there

who allowed them to come into their towns?

Just a thought.

..........Widder

They finally closed the all of the beaches in Pinellas County, Florida. That includes Clearwater, St. Pete and some other popular spots. From the helicopter views of the previous days, the beaches were full but not like a normal spring break. They should have shut down the beaches two weeks ago but left them open so that the businesses that rely on spring break money got their cut.

I'm pretty sure that the students could care less what their parents or the news reports say. They are out to have "fun" and (IMO) have nothing but distain for anyone telling them what they should or shouldn't do.

Me personally, I've lived here all of my life and you couldn't pay me to go to the beach, either before this started or now. I know that folks who live up north or live in the middle of the Country would love to live near the beach. Trust me when I tell you that it's not all that it's made out to be and it gets old real quick.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Allie.

I've heard (unofficially, of course) that the virus becomes dormant somewhere around 78-82 degrees.

If that was the case it would go dormant in the human body..........

2 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

If that was the case it would go dormant in the human body..........

And I ask the same question to the person who told me that.

The person didn't have an answer, nor do I.

Thats why I noted it as an "unofficial"  comment to me.

..........Widder

Archived