SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shoot birdhead grip vaqueros

Irish Pat

I have an old model birdshead and a new model. My old one fits me fine but I did put some textured grips on it. I found that I could shoot my 4.5 in vaqueros faster accurately than the 3.5 birdshead. I have large hands and the new model is too small but fits my daughter inlaw fine. I shoot duelist. I’ve always wondered if I would be able to shoot a 4.5 birdshead as fast as my standard vaqueros but have never found one to buy. Btw, all of these rugers are .45s. I love the birdshead look.

I probably would never have tried them, but I came across these two .45 acp New Vaqueros, consecutive numbers, and new-in-box, for $805 five months ago. Stags are from Lone Star Custom Grips. I'm 6'4", with some good size paws, but they're actually quite comfortable to shoot.

BirdsheadVaqueros.jpg

1010845010_mikesphotos-5036.thumb.JPG.c38e0bfb2b8d64510b2532f08b011fd1.JPGi have lots of birdsheads in webleys , brace of 22s for the younguns and i had a set of 45s , 3 1/2s , uberti but they never felt right and i hated the short sight radius , i may one day grab up one in a longer barrel just to stick in my doc holiday shoulder holster but im not thinking main match guns anymore , 

i have med-small hands , they feel fine and hold well , just not what i think of when shooting this - but then im not a bisley fan either , 

I had a pair of Pietta stainless 5 1/2" plow handle Californians from EMF. Had a great action job done on them. I saw EMF had a pair of 4 5/8'Birdshead Piettas with real Turnbull case hardening. I bought them for back up guns figuring I wouldn't shoot them much, but they sure were pretty.  First couple matches, I figured I'd shoot them to see what they were like. No action job at all.  I shot them better than the other pair. faster, less misses. I did this for two seasons. I'd bring them out and had same results. It got down to me shooting the Birdsheads most of the time and trying the stainless guns occasionally. No idea why, it's just a fact.

20141101_224744.jpg

My advice is to try before you buy. I looked for a couple of years, finally found one, and ended up not liking it at all. They're just not for everyone. I still think they are the coolest looking thing around though!

I use them "GF" fitted SS grip frames to SASS Vaqueros in 38/357.  then had Boomstick short stroke them.  100's may 1000's of rounds trough them.. Yup I have small hands.  

Archived