• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

image.thumb.png.e77f276ce9395d2fd5022efb00246f3d.png

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

fh1.jpg

That didn't make any sense when you posted it the first time. Waiting 5 hours and doing it again still doesn't make it make sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

A 57 year old nut, and a socket still fits it. 

A modern 10 year old lug nut and it is mangled and nothing fits it.

Those are the modern decorative lug nuts, corrosion gets between the core nut and the thin chrome wrapper. They swell, bulge, and the core also rusts on the the stud.

I hate rust bucket cars. Will not own one. Every repair takes longer and costs more and does not significantly extend vehicle life.

When driving a slushy road results in wet carpets, dump the vehicle while you can. Before it breaks in half.

main-qimg-6c8d430c795fbbebb33d192d6eb93a

Edited by John Kloehr
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That didn't make any sense when you posted it the first time. Waiting 5 hours and doing it again still doesn't make it make sense.

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

A 57 year old nut, and a socket still fits it. 

A modern 10 year old lug nut and it is mangled and nothing fits it.

Many cars have steel lug nuts with a decorative cap over the steel. After several years corrosion forms between the underlying steel nut and the decorative cap. This causes the cap to swell so that a lug wrench will no longer fit.

Happened to my late wife's mini van. Fortunately the tire dealer had a set of special sockets just to remove these cheap chinese abominations. Replaced them with an all steel nut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

m1.jpg

My Monday 1/2 sucks.

In the morning, I will be getting some practice in for the upcoming Winter Motherland AK competition, Then in the afternoon, I have to do some business. This will stretch into Tuesday. Would much rather have reversed these two events. The practice is great mental decompression.

At least I got a nice stroll in at a bird sanctuary today. Did not see a single damn bird, but it was a nice day and great stroll. Also a nice drive to the sanctuary in my retired police cruiser, and my lady drove so got to chill out for the round trip. Then she cooked Taziki.

Hopefully the rest of the week is good.

• Like 4

I'm off for the week. Headed to the cabin in Michigan tomorrow with my wife for the deer opener on Wednesday. Hunting until Friday, then home for the opener here with the kids. Might try to catch a trout too. Hope I can keep this schedule up. Rough duty.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Many cars have steel lug nuts with a decorative cap over the steel. After several years corrosion forms between the underlying steel nut and the decorative cap. This causes the cap to swell so that a lug wrench will no longer fit.

Happened to my late wife's mini van. Fortunately the tire dealer had a set of special sockets just to remove these cheap chinese abominations. Replaced them with an all steel nut.

I just keep 18 and 19mm sockets handy at home for my Jeep. 19mm with the cap, 18 without. For traveling, a cap that fell off makes a dandy shim to keep with the wrench that came with the car. 

• Like 3