SASS Wire Forum

Round count

Perro Del Diablo

When you load your cowboy ammo how do you do your round count?  I count by number primers I use. Do you count the number of bullets used or box them get true count? I used to box them and have exact amount then got lazy and just fill ammo can and estimate based on how many primers I used during loading.

I generally go by primer count. Then fill either 50 or 100 MTM boxes, which I store ammo in until I prep for a match where I fill boxes of 20. The 20 rd boxes are cut from 50 rd boxes cut through the middle and still have the half lid. Not as cool as a $40 loading strip which has to be refilled between stages, but, it cost $4 per pair and I can fill them 6 months early if I want. I go to the LT with a long gun in each hand and from the ULT same way. The ammo is carried in a pouch on my belt, and spent rounds ride there from the ULT. sorry I got a little off topic.

Imis

Hubby loads for me and puts them in bags or plastic jars. I put forty in each fifty round boxe. Pistol on the right, rifle on the left, and two empty rows in the center. Each box holds enough rounds for two stages. I take four boxes, sufficient rounds for eight stages or some reloads.

When my right arm and left fingers get tired I’ve loaded enough.

I have a counter on my press that tells me how many bullets have been crimped. 

http://uniquetek.com/product/T1555

Reloads go into 100 round Dillon ammo boxes.  When all of the boxes are full I have enough reloads for the next SASS season.

I grab one full box and a partial for each monthly match.  I really don't care the quantity that I have reloaded, just that I have enough.

I load 500 a night.  Why 500 do you ask?

Well, I have 5 primer tubes of each type.  At the start of the night I load the tubes.  If I'm loading a different caliber then the one I loaded last and if I need to change primer tubes, I make that switch on the ol' Dillon.  The stickers I put on flat part of the Tool Head remind me which powder drop to load.  Each Powder drop has a line so that I fill to that keeps it from setting off the low powder alarm, so I fill to that line.  Load up some primers and start going, although I recycle the first powder drop. I verify the powder drop on the first one, then every time I add primers. Doesn't take me long to get the rhythm started, and before I know it I've knocked out 500 rounds.  From there I'll verify all 500 rounds in a case gauge, using my finger to verify that the primer is seated. and store them in 100 rd. MTM boxes.  Pour the lefter powder back in the can.  Done.

So it's always 500...

40 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

after I load a bunch I'll put them in the lower half of a plastic ammo box primer side up.  I'll check for high primers then put them in baggies or whatever is available for bulk storage

I initial each round and then put loose in 30 Cal can. Initial helps me get my brass back at match and an additional inspection for cracked cases missing or high primers.

57 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

I load 500 a night.  Why 500 do you ask?

Well, I have 5 primer tubes of each type.  At the start of the night I load the tubes.  If I'm loading a different caliber then the one I loaded last and if I need to change primer tubes, I make that switch on the ol' Dillon.  The stickers I put on flat part of the Tool Head remind me which powder drop to load.  Each Powder drop has a line so that I fill to that keeps it from setting off the low powder alarm, so I fill to that line.  Load up some primers and start going, although I recycle the first powder drop. I verify the powder drop on the first one, then every time I add primers. Doesn't take me long to get the rhythm started, and before I know it I've knocked out 500 rounds.  From there I'll verify all 500 rounds in a case gauge, using my finger to verify that the primer is seated. and store them in 100 rd. MTM boxes.  Pour the lefter powder back in the can.  Done.

So it's always 500...

500 is my normal session. Same thing I have 5 pick up tubes for large and small primers.

Primer count, then load into 100 round Berry ammo boxes.  I have only four large primer tubes for my Hornady LNL, so typically load in 400 round sessions.

Archived