SASS Wire Forum

New toy

They are a neat, fun rifle.

I have one in .45 Colt, (because I can get brass and load for it)

I found I had to load TB down from my usual 5.5 to 4.0 otherwise I had trouble ejecting the case, once fired.

35 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I feel like I oughta know what those tubes are but I'm drawing a blank. 

And that rifle looks short.  Is it a cadet trainer? 

Cartridge tubes for a Blakeslee Quick Loading cartridge box.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I feel like I oughta know what those tubes are but I'm drawing a blank. 

And that rifle looks short.  Is it a cadet trainer? 

Not a rifle. A carbine.

The original ones were chambered in .56-56 in 1860.  Later, they changed to .56-50. Mine in a modern one made by Chiappa.  It is chambered in .45LC.  These rifles and carbines currently come chambered in .56-50, .45LC, and .44-40.   The case color is really nice and the wood is very nice also.  During the Civil War they made approximately 20,000 Henry rifles.  They made 230,000 Spencers making it a more popular due to the had hitting caliber and reliability.

If at all possible please post a video of you shooting this when you get around to it. I've never had the occasion to see one of these in person and would rather enjoy watching and learning.

There were two of these (used) at a local pawn shop last weekend, but I don't recall the manufacturers. It was the first time I had a chance to handle and operate a Spencer, and it felt pretty awkward. However I can see why they were so popular back in the Old West, because compared to most other firearms at the time they were built like tanks. If I were a frontiersman a hundred miles away from the nearest human settlement I would probably rather have a Spencer than a Henry or Winchester, just because I could count on it regardless of abuse or neglect.

8 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

If at all possible please post a video of you shooting this when you get around to it. I've never had the occasion to see one of these in person and would rather enjoy watching and learning.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

I do not intend to use this for SASS, but it is fun none the less.

The NCOWS club I am a member of has a non-PC category called "Indian Fighter". Each stage is five BP pistol, five BP rifle, and two BP shotgun. Most guys use single-shot rifles so you would be ahead of the game with your Spencer. I don't shoot in that category so I'm a little fuzzy on the rules so it may require SS rifles, but you could still load it one at a time. It looks like fun to me.

Archived