SASS Wire Forum

1866 VS 1873 >>> Is this true?

Cholla

I had someone tell me that the '66 can have a failure to fire if you pull the trigger before the lever is all the way home. He said it would not have an out of battery ignition, just the need to cock the hammer. 

I have read elsewhere that pulling the trigger before the lever is up can cause an out of battery firing, which is why the lever safety was added on the '73.

Which is true?

The second statement is true. On a 66' you can absolutely pull the trigger before the bolt closes and fire a round. I've done it three times and was fortunate that nothing was bent and no one was hurt. I no longer own a 66' and won't unless I can figure out a way to add a trigger safety. 

My 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

The second statement is true. On a 66' you can absolutely pull the trigger before the bolt closes and fire a round. I've done it three times and was fortunate that nothing was bent and no one was hurt. I no longer own a 66' and won't unless I can figure out a way to add a trigger safety. 

My 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

My 2 cents.

I did the same, but I did bend the lever.  I got rid of the '66 after that.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

My 2 cents.

Get an early production Navy Arms one.   They had the lever safety.

1703937438_66LeverSafety.thumb.JPG.a90fdd98dc35a0ce31e36fc7b64bf9f8.JPG

See?

Oddly, when I bought this gun, it had been removed.  Had some other issues.  I had the while thing "returned" to factory specs.   Or as close as practical.

Both are true... you can have a failure to fire OR an out of battery discharge.

I've had both..... from my experience a failure to fire is fairly common...

mostly if I'm trying to go "Real Fast" and my trigger finger gets ahead of my lever fingers.

An out of battery, for me anyway, is pretty rare... in 20 years of CAS I've had maybe 2 or 3

And I own several 66's both Early with, and Later without

And one Miroku/Winchester 66 without the safety.

I also have '73's Real & Replicas some with & some without safety's

Personally I prefer a '66 to a '73

And with the loads I use an out of battery discharge is no big deal

.... Wait a minute... I take that last statement back...

I did have an Out of Battery with a Full House Black Powder Load ONCE ..... and it bent the lever

But with my normal mouse fart loads its no big deal :rolleyes:

Yes its true .

Thee 66 is Sexier then the 73 :D

Rooster 

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Both are true... you can have a failure to fire OR an out of battery discharge.

I've had both..... from my experience a failure to fire is fairly common...

mostly if I'm trying to go "Real Fast" and my trigger finger gets ahead of my lever fingers.

An out of battery, for me anyway, is pretty rare... in 20 years of CAS I've had maybe 2 or 3

And I own several 66's both Early with, and Later without

And one Miroku/Winchester 66 without the safety.

I also have '73's Real & Replicas some with & some without safety's

Personally I prefer a '66 to a '73

And with the loads I use an out of battery discharge is no big deal

.... Wait a minute... I take that last statement back...

I did have an Out of Battery with a Full House Black Powder Load ONCE ..... and it bent the lever

But with my normal mouse fart loads its no big deal :rolleyes:

Sorry, but to say that any OBD is no big deal is rather irresponsible.

Phantom

Be had one OOB with my 66. I like it more, and think I shoot it a tad faster (which ain’t all that fast!!!) but now I shoot my 73 most of the time, the 66 is my back up gun. I do try to shoot it st least one stage per match. Both have more or less same SS kit and Springs, so not a huge difference. But having the one OOB was enough for me. Nothing broken or injured, but that blast of hot gas in my face was an attention getter! 

Phantom... You're too much of a NewBee to remember the Old Timer

who claimed he could catch one of my "Mouse Farts" as it came out of the barrel...........

Now That was Irresponsible :P

In a ‘66 the trigger can be pulled and the hammer will fall any time during the cycle, both closing and opening the action.  For the firing pin to strike the primer, the case must be against the bolt face and held there by the extractor.  This happens in the final 1/4” or so closing the action.  So you can get an OOB discharge any time after the cartridge is against the bolt face and the hammer falls.  Including late trigger pulls when opening the action.

So the guy who told you that if you pulled the trigger early, you would not get an OOB discharge was only partially right.  You MIGHT not get an OOB DISCHARGE and IF you don’t, then recock the hammer and try the round again.  (With the action fully closed of course.)

There are other things that can cause an OOB discharge such as a lodged bullet that prevents the next round from fully chambering.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, Cholla said:

I had someone tell me that the '66 can have a failure to fire if you pull the trigger before the lever is all the way home. He said it would not have an out of battery ignition, just the need to cock the hammer. 

I have read elsewhere that pulling the trigger before the lever is up can cause an out of battery firing, which is why the lever safety was added on the '73.

Which is true?

Both…...are true. It depends on when you pulled the trigger, how much hammer spring you have and what primers you are using. 

If your '66 is like mine, then pulling the trigger early will probably not fire the cartridge unless the extractor has already captured the cartridge. On mine the extractor doesn't "go over the top" until the cartridge is seated. Not saying it can't happen, but it has never happened to me in the 15 years I have been shooting '66's/Henry's. And my club likes stages with Dump targets where I go as fast as I can. But then I shoot BP so maybe that slows me down just enough to not have OOB incidents.

Archived