SASS Wire Forum

45 LC Loads

Juan Solo

Same as I used for .44-40, 5.6 grs of Tite-Group under a 200 gr bullet! RNFP

Usually 5.4 Trailboss under a 200 grain slug.

Sometimes I use a 250 grain slug with 5.8 Trailboss. 

And when I really want to have fun, either APP or BP with a 250 grainer. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

4.6 grains of Trail Boss under a coated 200gr RNFP. A pard around here was getting squibs with 4.0 grains TB on cold mornings around 32 degrees. Just in case I ever get younger and more ambitious and I decide to shoot in the cold I figure I'm covered.

Starline case with Fed. or RP standard primer. 20 gr. GOEX 2F with .5 cc scoop of cornmeal on top. 250 gr. Big lube bullet with SPG or Pearl lube. 

Starline case with Fed. or RP standard primer. 5 gr. Green Dot and a 230gr. RCBS Cowboy. 

Starline case with Fed. or RP standard primer. 5gr. Red Dot and a 200gr. RNFP from Rim Rock. 

All use a regular roll crimp in the groove and cycle through a 66, 73 and 92 without a hitch.

5.6 Trailboss and 250 RNFP. According to Lyman, I should expect that to run around 800 fps. I have the set of pistols and loaded some ammo but have not used this in a match, opting for my 38s. Once using the load, I suppose I might want something a little lighter or a 200 range bullet weight.

6.0 grains of RedDot behind a 200 grain RFN.  Crimped tightly.  This load means I can use one load for cowboy and Wild Bunch rifles.   Very little blowby.

Another favored load is 6.5 grains of RedDot behind a 225 grain TC outta RCBS 45-225-CAV mold .

A load which pretty well mimics a 30 grain of 2F Goex behind the same bullet with SPG.

For  pistol I use  Starline Schofield cases with 4. 2 Grains of   Clays under a 160 g RNFP..power factor of  around 90 at 600 fps.

Rifle is LC Cases  with 4. 8  Clays & 160 g bullet .

Federal primers are used.

Very reliable & great performance.

11 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

For  pistol I use  Starline Schofield cases with 4. 2 Grains of   Clays under a 160 g RNFP..power factor of  around 90 at 600 fps.

Rifle is LC Cases  with 4. 8  Clays & 160 g bullet .

Federal primers are used.

Very reliable & great performance.

With that light a bullet, I wonder about the velocity. Any data on that?

I use 5 gr of Clays under a Magnus 200gr LRNFP and either WLP or Fed 150 primers. I use this in both my revolvers and rifle. An 8LB jug of clays will last forever it seems....

I use a coated 250 gr RNFP bullet with 5.5 gr of Trailboss.  A firm crimp in the crimp groove.   Works very well in both revolvers and rifle.  Guns stay cleaner than when I used 200 gr bullets.   

Seems like the best cartridge doesn't have a load data post yet.

200gr Bullet - Best Load is BOLD

AA-5 From 12.6 grains to 13.3 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

Blue Dot From 11.6 grains to 12.8 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

HS-6 From 10.3 grains to 13.3 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

N-100 From 7.3 grains to 7.7 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

SR-4756 From 9.5 grains to 11.8 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

SR-7625 From 7.0 grains to 9.5 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

Unique From 8.0 grains to 11.2 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

200gr Bullet - Best Load is BOLD

AA-5 From 12.6 grains to 13.3 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

Blue Dot From 11.6 grains to 12.8 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

HS-6 From 10.3 grains to 13.3 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

N-100 From 7.3 grains to 7.7 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

SR-4756 From 9.5 grains to 11.8 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

SR-7625 From 7.0 grains to 9.5 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

Unique From 8.0 grains to 11.2 grains

Winchester WLP Primer

JB ... why are you dumping these tables?? No one would use these for cowboy shooting would they??

I only checked the last one (because I use Alliant and it seemed a little high) ... the 8 - 11.2 grs of Unique. 11.2 grains is 18% higher than the manufacturer currently lists as maximum for 200 / 250gr lead bullet ... (they show a 9.5gr maximum) ... 

reference link: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=3&cartridge=36

Wouldn't it be more helpful if we just put up stuff we really used (in Cowboy)?? 

17 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

With that light a bullet, I wonder about the velocity. Any data on that?

As I stated in my post  velocity & power factor are well above what is required, yes a light bullet but I have tried 200 & 250  & don't really see the need just to save a 'LITTLE  blowback  &  a  heavier hit..      not to mention the added cost........Chrono's are used at various Cowboy shoots in Australia & I never have a problem.

And as a side note  lots of shooters use  short colt .38's with around 1- 2 grains of powder with a 95- 115 grain bullet ..velocity & power factor is right up there..................

Archived