SASS Wire Forum

Expensive Oil Change

Calamity Kris

Not to steal SDJ's auto repair thread, I took my car to the dealership to have the oil changed yesterday {had a coupon for it} and ended up leaving in a new to me car.  They discovered an issue with my old car that would have cost thousands to fix.  At 14 years old and and 190K miles, it wasn't worth fixing.  {I suspected there was an issue and the service writer confirmed my suspicions.}  Instead of letting it continue and risk it stranding me on the highway, I saw a beautiful used car that had been a lease return.  Other than the color, it was exactly what I have been looking for.  I did drive a hard bargain and took home a 2017 Honda Pilot.

Note: I could have driven my car home and looked at other places.  I didn't have to replace it IMMEDIATELY.  I just lucked into the car I was looking for and they met the price I wanted to pay.  I believe it was meant to be.

My new to me baby:

Pilot.jpg

Hey Kris, sometimes you just walk into a deal without even trying.

Shiny, compact, and it’ll get you there

I know a few people with Pilots.  All very pleased, and they surely do seem to be reliable.

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue with the old beast?  And what was it...?  It's age and miles speak well for it too.  :)

Same here; Wife's Honda Odyssey side doors were giving us fits. I was at the dealer buying brake pads for my Sequoia. Next thing I know I am trading the Honda for a used Toyota Sienna. Came out better than if I had spent the money to fix the Honda.

It's the same color as the Enclave that we bought almost two years ago while on a major vacation trip.  Our Honda CRV broke down for the third time in two weeks with A/C problems and related parts failure, (the second time in two days!) and I just phoned a nearby dealer and had it towed in!  The Enclave is larger, newer, more comfortable, and gets the same fuel mileage as the CRV!!  It ALSO just plain runs and drives better!! They made us a great deal and took the Honda in trade!!  It saved our vacation!!!

23 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I know a few people with Pilots.  All very pleased, and they surely do seem to be reliable.

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue with the old beast?  And what was it...?  It's age and miles speak well for it too.  :)

"The old beast" was a 2004 Mazda Tribute I purchased new.  As of late she had developed several problems. 

In December/January, I spent $4K on an oil leak that was caused by an oil change place putting TOO MUCH oil in, causing the engine to be over pressure.  I also had a full brake job.  In February, my oil pressure light kept coming on.  It was determined I had another oil leak, this time a small one at the back of the block.  Because my car came from Cali, it would have cost another $3K to have that one repaired because of all the labor to remove the Cali smog equipment.  In the mean time, the tranny had started slipping and was getting worse. Not significantly so, just enough to be a real hassle.  That would have been another $2.5K.   The crowning issue was a water leak just above the steering wheel.  I had the windshield replaced 8 or so years ago and the place didn't do a good job.  They left a gap in the chrome trim that went over the installed windshield.  That caused water to pool and rusted the body.  Until the water had started to leak, I had no idea there was a problem because it wasn't visible from the outside.  There was no fix for that one. 

I will have to say, that was my second Mazda and if the Pilot hadn't been such an awesome deal, I probably would have purchased another Mazda.  Also, the two major problems it had were caused by other people, not the vehicle or manufacturer. 

If anyone is interested in buying a Mazda in East Central Florida, IM me and I'll give you the name of the dealership. {They did my service too.}  They have been outstanding throughout the process and I highly recommend them.

2004_Trib.jpg

Archived