SASS Wire Forum

Everything You Never Knew About Primers, and the New Technology That's Revolutionizing Them

John Boy

Ditto - very interesting.

"This, more than anything, demonstrates the confidence that Federal has in the product. But will consumers be as willing to embrace Catalyst?"

I tend to think that consumers who buy ammo rather than make their own will not know or care.  We reloaders on the other hand will be very aware and care very much.  Personally, I would have no problem with giving them a try.

38 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

bet they will cost more--just saying

To start out I'm sure they will, if for no other reason than they'll be manufactured in smaller quantities than conventional primers. If they catch on they'll be manufactured in larger quantites and the price should come down. Getting the U.S. Government behind them will help that along.

I'm not surprised Uncle Sam wanted a lead free primer. There's been a concerted effort to remove lead from many products over the past few decades.

I use a lot of primers.  Not nearly as many as when I chased the Brass Ring with Suppository Shooters, however still a lot of primers.  There has always been one constant within retail supply and demand.  Once a price point has been established, it never goes down.  Once Federal establishes a price point for their new tech, that will be the base line.  Regardless of an increase in production and demand, the price will remain the same.  Burma Shave

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I use a lot of primers.  Not nearly as many as when I chased the Brass Ring with Suppository Shooters, however still a lot of primers.  There has always been one constant within retail supply and demand.  Once a price point has been established, it never goes down.  Once Federal establishes a price point for their new tech, that will be the base line.  Regardless of an increase in production and demand, the price will remain the same.  Burma Shave

True dat.  Remember when they started selling unleaded gas?  It was $0.05 - $0.010 more than regular, but when asked why it cost more even though they didn't add an additive (lead), they said that it was because production was low, but by the time it replaced regular gas, it would be cheaper...  Never happened...

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

If the reliability holds and there is no reason to think it won't, then the biggest obstacle for adoption by reloaders will be published reloading data.

The question that will have to be asked and answered is: will loading data be significantly changed using these primers?  If so, there is going to be a LOT of research to determine published changes.  Instead of X grains of Unique in my .45 LC loads, will I have to use X-minus 2 grains of powder?  Or X-plus a grain? Could take awhile to gain acceptance among handloaders.  Or powder companies could alter the burning rates of their smokeless propellants to compensate for the change in the primers.  Could be interesting!:unsure:

Here are the key words in the article:

Even better, the Catalyst formula propels more hot, heavy metals, while producing less pressure from gases, into the propellant bed than any other primer system Federal has used—even its vaunted Gold Metal primers.

In my mind - " propels more hot, heavy metals, while producing less pressure from gases" is an oxymoron ( when two contradictory words are together in one phrase)

* I have pictures of primers that use aluminum in their MSDS and the flames from these are long sparklers that create a high brisance ( large pressure blast exploding the powder column).  These primers are a big negative deflagurating a black powder column

* If the above will be the norm for the new Catalyst formula - they will not be a primer needed with a low brisance for black powder but specifically for rounds ...

" the development of the Catalyst primer was driven by a request from a large customer. In this case, the U.S. government, both military and law enforcement, wanted a duty-worthy primer that didn’t contain lead or other potentially toxic metals."

Five years is a long time frame for development. as stated. and I am very happy to have substantial different primers for all my different caliber powders and especially for black powder reloads

* And being in my 'twilight years' at 76 ... I'll let the younger folks fiddle with the new reload requirements as needed for Catalyst primers ;)

PS: Cowboy shooters will not have a concern because ANY primer works for the reloads at SASS .distances.  But for those striving for accuracy with reloads used in long distance accuracy (i.e. - 1000yds) it's going to be a whole different ball game including smokeless reloads

John Boy,

Do you recall some years ago talk of electrical primers?  I guess it came to nothing because I haven't heard anything since, but I've kind of wondered how well they might work, particularly since we know that it would be ineffective with black powder, but maybe with smokeless they might actually be effective...? 

I can't imagine trusting such a setup with a duty firearm, but long range or benchrest shooters might benefit from them if they could prove to be more consistent than chemical primers...?

Also, remember when the Germans were experimenting with caseless ammo that completely consumes itself - I wonder how they were igniting those?

Ah, the weird things I ponder while having my first cup of coffee...  :D

I intend to keep a good supply of small pistol Federal primers on hand until load data for the new Catalyst primers is published.  I am particularly interested in their compatibility with Triple Seven and APP.  If incompatible I can use Remington or Winchester primers in most of my CAS firearms.

"These primers are a big negative deflagurating a black powder column."

Put another layer of coffee filter over the primer. It has been shown a "regular" primer will blow/burn a hole in a piece of aluminum from soda can.

Archived