SASS Wire Forum

CMP 1911

Surprised no one else has posted this update yet.  Maybe we just figure everyone who is interested is already signed up for the emails.  Or maybe we're hoping there won't be much competition in the lottery on oct 5th.  For anyone who doesn't want to read the whole thing, the executive summary is,

-They've set dates and seem to have all the decisions made

-Prices will range from $850 for guns that need repair to $1050 for the best grade. 

-It looks like they won't accept new orders until everyone who gets an order in gets a chance.  So if only 4k people send in orders, they'll open it up again to anyone.  But if 20k people send in orders, they might not accept orders again for 3 years. 

-Californians can get in on this.  But Massachusettsians can not. 

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

12 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

But Massachusettsians can not. 

Sigh......so what else is new?????

Two of the most widely owned single actions in the world - the Colt SAA and the Colt 1911, and in its extreme wisdom, the AG of MA has determined that both are too dangerous to be used by anyone in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Nanny states are a blight on the freedom of mankind.

LL

I think the only reason we pity the people of california more than the people of Massachusetts is that many of us (myself included) can't spell Massachusetts. 

BTW, what how do you denizens of Massachusetts refer to yourselves?  I'm pretty sure massschusettsians is wrong. 

26 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

$850 for a worn out piece of junk. Don't think so

But it's a CMP worn out piece of junk! It's the perfect mate to your CMP mismatched Frankengarand.

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

My $300 used Rock Island is a nail driver, and it feeds everything. 

I bought my RI for $385 four years ago and aside from some problems with after market magazines (which I solved by buy 10 surplus mags) it's a tack-driving, dead reliable piece with Hornady Extreme Defense loads..

It’s virtually impossible to find a govt issued 1911 these days for less than a grand. Even in crappy condition. This is a chance to get one for less, but not much of a chance. As much as I’d like one I haven’t decided if I’ll give it a go or not.

It’s not about the money or the quality of the gun for some people.

It’s maybe about the nostalgia.

It’s about having and holding a piece of military history.

It’s about remembering, good or bad.

It’s about wondering “Where has this gun been?...Did a Soldier use it to defend a position, did a Soldier use it to clear a tunnel, did a Soldier carry it on Watch?”

If you are considering one as it might be a “good deal “ for a cheap shooter, perhaps you should look elsewhere for a new gun and let those that really want one of these 1911’s but them. They are releasing 8000 of them. I don’t know if I will buy one as I have other things I need / want but if I can swing it I will buy one.

I won’t be buying it because it’s s good deal. I’ll be buying it because it’s a piece of history. If there was a chance I could get a 1911 from the Navy, you can bet your &$@ I would be all over it...and not because I want a good deal or a cheap shooter.

:FlagAm:

If you are thinking about buying one you need to get your name into the hat.  Purchasing will be via a lottery system.

Customer names from complete CMP 1911 order form packets will be fed into a computerized Random Number Generator on 5 October 2018. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequential order through the random picking process. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator. The CMP 1911 customers will select their grade of pistol (Service, Field or Rack) from available inventory at the time of order notification. Customers with higher numbers may have fewer grades from which to choose. When this year’s allotment of 1911s is exhausted, the remaining orders will be held in the existing sequence for all future allotments of 1911s. The CMP does not know what future allotments might be.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s not about the money or the quality of the gun for some people.

It’s maybe about the nostalgia.

It’s about having and holding a piece of military history.

It’s about remembering, good or bad.

It’s about wondering “Where has this gun been?...Did a Soldier use it to defend a position, did a Soldier use it to clear a tunnel, did a Soldier carry it on Watch?”

If you are considering one as it might be a “good deal “ for a cheap shooter, perhaps you should look elsewhere for a new gun and let those that really want one of these 1911’s but them. They are releasing 8000 of them. I don’t know if I will buy one as I have other things I need / want but if I can swing it I will buy one.

I won’t be buying it because it’s s good deal. I’ll be buying it because it’s a piece of history. If there was a chance I could get a 1911 from the Navy, you can bet your &$@ I would be all over it...and not because I want a good deal or a cheap shooter.

:FlagAm:

Exactly. I didn't get an M1 because it's a fancy, long range, tack driving, precision competition rifle.

I got it for what it's done. Not what it can do. ;)

M1talking.jpg

41 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Bob, nicely done on the picture, but why does it look weird around the edges?

Looks like he blacked out the background with a paint program.

58 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Bob, nicely done on the picture, but why does it look weird around the edges? 

Because, apparently, Bob is a little weird around the edges. :lol:

$850 for a GI 1911 with pitting, replaced parts and (likely) refinish is WAY too much. Even the ripoff artists on Gunbroker aren't usually that bad. If they were all that was available I could see it, but not when there are already thousands of them in the pipeline.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Because, apparently, Bob is a little weird around the edges. :lol:

Rough around the edges say some folks. :lol:

(and in possession of a cheap photo editing program)

I understand and agree with the idea of owning something because of the history behind it. The value of older firearms is very subjective because of this reason. However in their letter the CMP stated they were pricing these in line with current market prices. I would definitely disagree with that assessment. 

Anybody who thinks those prices are high, would you please go buy a USGI pistol in good shape (that the CMP would describe as Service Grade and sell it to me for $1050 including shipping?  That'd be awesome;  I wouldn't have to worry about jumping through those hoops and trying to win the lottery. 

What do we call ourselves here in Massachusetts?

I generally use the term New Englander, although that is kinda non specifically generic.   Then again, only Vermonter and Mainer seem to have gained any traction.  I don't know specific terms for people from the other states in this little corner of the country based on the state names.  Denizens of New Hampshire might have Granite Stater, analogous to our own Bay Stater, but it's not based on the name of the state.

Yankee is another acceptable term for anyone from New England.

(The lawsuit I wish to file against NYC and the Highlanders baseball team for improperly using the term can't seem to gain any traction)

Personally, I like to call myself a minority.

I am one of the rarest of all minorities in all the world.

I am a pro-life, gun owning, conservative, Republican, born again Christian fundamentalist, Baptist.  From Massachusetts.

If that doesn't make me a minority, I don't know what does!

As far as the CMP 1911's go, even though the CMP has determined in it's logic not to ship them to C&R holders direct, even though they are all well over 50 years old, and thus C&R guns, which are specifically exempted from some of the foolish Mass State laws, a dealer in NH, I will not say who, has told me that he would be willing to be my FFL, do the NICS check, have me fill out the 4478 form, and then simply transfer the gun to me on my C&R.  It would then be up to me to register in Massachusetts as a gun bought out of state.   I have done this with many other C&R pistols over the years. 

I am wondering if this is really okay or not, but I am considering it.

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

As far as the CMP 1911's go, even though the CMP has determined in it's logic not to ship them to C&R holders

I don't think you can blame the CMP for this.  They are shipping them to C&R dealers in california.  They must not meet Massachusettes's definition of C&R. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I don't think you can blame the CMP for this.  They are shipping them to C&R dealers in california.  They must not meet Massachusettes's definition of C&R. 

Correct. That was not their decision. They will still ship rifles direct to you, depending on your state requirements.

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Actually, they do.   Mass law defines a C&R gun as according to Federal Law.

It's other laws that are getting in the way.   Among other things, no non approved gun can be imported into the state for resale or even sold in the state at all, unless you can prove it was registered in the state prior to 1998.  (I think that's the date)  C&R's are specifically exempted from this rule.  The only logic I can see is that since the CMP is selling them generically as regular firearms and not as C&R guns in specific that they feel they are afoul of Mass law.  A logical assumption, even if I don't agree with it.

All of that being said, it is not uncommon to see something like a 1911, a Luger, a 2nd Generation Colt, or well, any other C&R eligible pistol sitting on the shelf in a local gunshop with a note on the tag that says, "For sale only to C&R holders."

Confused?  Try living here!  :)

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

A C&R (type 03) holder is not actually a dealer. They are shipping to type 01, 02 and 07 FFLs only.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Actually, they do.   Mass law defines a C&R gun as according to Federal Law.

It's other laws that are getting in the way.   Among other things, no non approved gun can be imported into the state for resale or even sold in the state at all, unless you can prove it was registered in the state prior to 1998.  (I think that's the date)  C&R's are specifically exempted from this rule.  The only logic I can see is that since the CMP is selling them generically as regular firearms and not as C&R guns in specific that they feel they are afoul of Mass law.  A logical assumption, even if I don't agree with it.

All of that being said, it is not uncommon to see something like a 1911, a Luger, a 2nd Generation Colt, or well, any other C&R eligible pistol sitting on the shelf in a local gunshop with a note on the tag that says, "For sale only to C&R holders."

Confused?  Try living here!  :)

Maybe they're confused too.  You can take some solace in the wording they used.  They said "  At of the time of this release, only the state of Massachusetts will not allow", which makes it sound like they're looking for a ruling from some state official. 

Archived