SASS Wire Forum

Glock 20 detonates

Wapaloosie73

Wellll, it is Glock.

Maybe the frame can be put back together with Crazy Glue?:ph34r:

Definitely a change of drawers event though.

24 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Wellll, it is Glock.

I carried a Glock on duty for years and, as an instructor, fired thousands of rounds. It’s a reliable weapon. 

My partner and I both had Federal Classic 40 cals detonate in our Glock 23's during a training class. Both guns functioned as designed blowing out pressure through the magazine. Both guns were sent back to Glock as a precaution but neither suffered any damage

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I carried a Glock on duty for years and, as an instructor, fired thousands of rounds. It’s a reliable weapon. 

My comment was tongue in cheek.

I was the Purchasing agent and a member of the evaluation team that bought them for our Police Dept.

The Glock was my first choice and I presented the choice to our Police Commission.

As a duty/carry gun, it remains my first choice although I always have a soft spot for the HP and the 1911.

I still like my hammer fired semi-autos. Even my polymer is a hammer fired pistol. If I were to go to a striker fired platform, though, it wouldn't be Glock. Nothing against the brand, I've sold plenty of them, assuring their owners that they were purchasing a durable, reliable pistol. For me though, the HK VP9 is a better choice. I'd happily pay a little more for an out of the box trigger that is about as good as I can hope to get (although the Walther PPQ is right there with it). The Glock trigger has always been my primary complaint, other than the fact that it is an ugly pistol in my opinion. The HK is also much more comfortable to me, has better lines, and is proven reliable. Besides, HK made the first polymer frame, striker fired pistol!

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would take a Glock over any other auto loader out there. Period.

why would you prefer that v. a Browning High-Power?

sadly I think they discontinued the HighPower .40S&W chambering

I have owned Glocks and 1911’s. I have worked on many Glocks and 1911’s for friends. I have helped friends with other auto loaders but not enough to form a hard opinion on any given brand or model, but I shoot at ranges a lot and I see things that happen to other people’s guns. I also see what others do to their guns and then blame the gun for their lack of maintenance and / or care.

Also, a couple of years ago I sold my Glocks, as I did my1911’s a few years back and decided to stick with revolvers. That didn’t last. So I went on a mission to find a .380 and a 9mm. I shot lots of different guns and ended up with a Remington R51 and a Remington RM380.

I am very pleased with my RM380. I trust it enough to carry and I know it will perform well if I do my part.

The R51, on the other hand, is a work in progress. Just as I thought I had all the bugs worked out now pins are working their way out of the gun as I fire it. I am giving it one more chance and then...It’s Curtains!

I will probably be buying another Glock soon...

11 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

Because I trust them. Period.

I don’t let nostalgia or reminiscences dictate my gun purchases when it comes to self protection. For target and fun guns that’s okay, but not for guns that I need to trust.

I have never owned a Hi-Power nor do I want one so why would I pick one of those over a Glock?

If I want to go nostalgic I go Smith & Wesson and I go Wheel Gun.

If I am going to use a bottom feeder to protect me and mine it will be a 1911 in .45 ACP. one with-out the mag dis-connect ...

Jabez Cowboy

13 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Wellll, it is Glock.

Not as thing wrong with a Glock.<_<

That was over-loaded ammo, that blew the gun up.

OLG

3 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

Why wouldn't you?

I have a BHP and several Glocks.

I choose the Glock for SD carry, for many reasons over the HP.

OLG

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why wouldn't you?

I have a BHP and several Glocks.

I choose the Glock for SD carry, for many reasons over the HP.

OLG

The HP feels akward in my hand. I have never been able to shoot one as well as a Glock or 1911.

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The HP feels akward in my hand. I have never been able to shoot one as well as a Glock or 1911.

Interesting. I love the feel of a Hi-Power in my hand, almost as much as a 1911. A Glock, not so much.

Glock's are a love/hate  relationship.  You either love them or do not.  That is a very dangerous scenario.  There seems to be more and more ammunition that is pushing limits to the next level;  just be cautions, its only a handgun.

To me holding a Glock is like holding a warm beer bottle....I have over 500K rds thru various 1911's as I was a long time IPSC shooter, I love the feel of the HP........

that said if I go in harms way I go with a Glock, decent trigger,  accurate enough, most reliable self loader out there, always goes bang

I've had forged slide stops shear, ejectors come loose, FP retaing plates crack, sights come loose on 1911's along with various sundry other issues.

By the way ALL Hi Powers were discontinued 2 years ago, not just the 40's the 9's also.  NO MARKET for them!

59 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

By the way ALL Hi Powers were discontinued 2 years ago, not just the 40's the 9's also.  NO MARKET for them!

I disagree, there is plenty of market for them, just not at $1000 msrp Browning had on them. If FEG would bring back that beautiful one they made at the price of a Glock I think they would sell quite well.

Glock had a lot of .40 guns blow up. Pics all over the internet. They blamed the ammo the shooter and anything but the gun, but always replaced the gun.

The trigger and trigger guard on a Glock don't fit my hand, 1/2 box and I have to quit. My finger will hurt for days after I shoot a glock. 

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

Interesting. I love the feel of a Hi-Power in my hand, almost as much as a 1911. A Glock, not so much.

I tried for years to get used to Glocks. Always reliable, but with a horrible grip shape and angle. Finally S&W solved my dilemma with their new M&P 2.0 Compact.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not as thing wrong with a Glock.<_<

That was over-loaded ammo, that blew the gun up.

OLG

Ive overloaded my 44 Super Blackhawk as well. You take the cylinder out and beat the casings out with a wood dowl.....no harm no foul.

I think we are losing sight of the original problem. Which is the Glock polymer frame is weaker than steel. And while you may be able to run 1000’s of rounds of 9mm or 45 acp through it? 10mm and +P loads are starting to push the envelope. It’s very nice that the ammo mfg is replacing his Glock for him. But if it blew off his hand...... who cares right?

The moral of the story for me is this. If your gonna buy a hand cannon for four legged critters? 10 mm is marginal at best anyhow. And running hot loads all the time through a polymer frame is a bad idea. Go buy a steel frame revolver. Or if your just stuck on the idea of a auto loader go buy a Desert Eagle. The upside is if the Bear gets to you and starts chewing on you, you can use that DE to bludgeon the thing to death!

You cant just throw a blown 502 into a 1/2 chassis without boxing the frame.

It also depends on the powder used-The ammo maker admitted it was an overload in the 10mm Glock. :rolleyes:

No 2 handguns will react the same to and over load.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/sunday-gunday-7-revolver-fails-will-hit-pit-stomach/

When I'm in Bear country there's a FA .454 Casull on my hip, and a 12ga SG loaded with slugs, close by........

OLG

I wouldn’t have an auto-loader of any kind on my hip in bear country. Long guns as well. 

In So-Cal I always had a .357 on my hip until I found out the forest service reintroduced Brown bears back into the area up near Big Bear. Then I kept a 12 gauge loaded with slugs handy.

Now I would be carrying a hot loaded .45 Colt with hard cast slugs...and the shotgun...

this is a most interesting thread.   I've read thru the whole thing, carefully.    I've kept a Browning HP .40 for years and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.   For me, I like the feel of it.   Based on the jist of this thread that's probably what really matters at the end of the day :)

now as far as Bear Country goes I have a Marlin 8-shot Trapper Carbine in .44 Rem. Mag.    Failing that I guess I go to my knife :(

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It also depends on the powder used-The ammo maker admitted it was an overload in the 10mm Glock. :rolleyes:

No 2 handguns will react the same to and over load.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/sunday-gunday-7-revolver-fails-will-hit-pit-stomach/

When I'm in Bear country there's a FA .454 Casull on my hip, and a 12ga SG loaded with slugs, close by........

OLG

STEEL? Is far superior to polymer......aluminum alloy..........etc.

Its why outfits like Garrett require it for their hot loads.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerhead.html

I would have preferred to be holding the Ruger Bisley in your list. Than any of these....

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/sunday-gunday-6-glock-pistol-fails-will-leave-shock-warning-graphic-images/

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Anything can break.....-_-

image.jpeg.5c476dd187d652ac585bdfdab9f9d35e.jpeg

Sure wouldn't want to 'eat' the back end of that slide.

Back in my ISPC dayz-Saw many 1911's blown up from stupid over loads.

OLG

Ah, I see you have one of the very rare "Splicer Slide" guns...Very impressive! ;)

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Anything can break.....-_-

image.jpeg.5c476dd187d652ac585bdfdab9f9d35e.jpeg

Sure wouldn't want to 'eat' the back end of that slide.

Back in my ISPC dayz-Saw many 1911's blown up from stupid over loads.

OLG

Just not into 4 or 5 or 6 pieces....

903E57A9-A0CB-45AB-B010-E93E2C774928.jpeg

BA5E3570-DC1A-4AF8-A8B8-CE75DC174F1F.png

1C299BD6-E943-4B65-9D0D-36FEBEF83781.jpeg

over the years there have been many threads discussing detonation.   there have been many good thoughts but I don't think there is any general answer.

aside from some obvious stupid stuff like not reading and following directions we also ponder deeper troubles: a fault in the metal?  an anomaly in the powder?

afterwards it may be hard to tell what actually happened.

Archived