SASS Wire Forum

Best way to clean leather belts and holsters

Doc Ironbeard

Looking for advice on the best way to safely clean and preserve leather holsters and belts. I have several sets of used SASS holsters and belts that are stained, slightly soiled and dirty. I've used saddle soap and mink oil and such. So from all you folks experiences what's the best and safest way to bring this leather back to life and properly protected.

THANKS!

In 20 years of shooting CAS/SASS, I have never cleaned a belt or holster.  When I bought new holsters from Kirkpatrick and asked them how to care for them they replied, "boot polish."

If I tripped and landed in a mud puddle and got my leather wet and dirty, I would take it home rinse it off, allow it to air dry slowly, and apply boot polish or mink oil (lightly!!) as you have done, or maybe nothing at all.  If you get holsters too soft, they aren't going to work well for you.

Methinks you should probably worry about something else, no offense intended!  ;)  If you use leather, it will look used.  As it should.

I shoot blackpowder, mostly, so if something were going to get dirty...

Doc, it sounds like you did everything right. Like J-Bar I have never cleaned any cowboy leather but I have cleaned many dozens of leather jackets. It ain’t so critical what you use it’s more critical that you use it sparingly. I would stick to a purpose made leather product. I cringe when I hear people say they treat leather with olive oil. Olive oil is food and when it turns it stinks. Probably the best way of all to clean leather is with a damp cloth and air dry.

Olive oil as well as neatsfoot oil is used on leather that has not been dyed or sealed so it can penetrate the pores.  Used on finished leather it will lay on the surface and not help. Any shoe repair shop will have a good commercial cleaner followed by a coat of clear wax polish.

i generally just put a tad of Ballistol on my leather when its looking dried out.  just a drop or 2  on a rag goes a long way. 

If your leather is extremely dirty from mud, let it dry, brush off the worst of it. Saddle soap is alright if you don't overdo it.  If the holster became wet, wrap your gun in a plastic bag and insert the gun in the holster to maintain the shape.  Allow to dry until it feels dry to the touch on the outside.  Remove the wrapped gun and allow to dry overnight.  When the leather feels dry on the inside, reinsert the gun without the wrapping.  After thoroughly dry, treat the outside of the leather with Lexol(R) Leather Conditioner, SPARINGLY!  After wet-fitting a customer's holster, I spray on a LIGHT application of Lexol, removing excess with a soft cloth (old T-shirt works best), and allow to dry.  DO NOT overdo the application.  For leather that appears to be drying out, again apply a light coating of Lexol and remove the excess with a cloth.  I live in a dry climate and seldom treat my own leather more than once a year or more.

Belts, if cleaned of caked-on dirt with saddle soap, need to be treated the same way.  Do not store cartridges in cartridge loops for more than a few days, at most!  Again, a light application of Lexol Leather Conditioner should do the trick.

Note: old leather that has cracked and split is basically unrecoverable. 

PLUS ONE to J-Bar!!  Most leather cleaning and conditioning products just soften the leather.  Why would you soften a holster??  After play this game since the beginning, I just use a brush to get the dust or dirt off.  Stains just add character.  Like most else, it's only "New" once.  

Olive oils, and most other "oils" are actually a "food" product and will go rancid (smell real bad, turn colors).  Conditioners are intended to soften.  Saddle Soap is intended to soften.  Try not to fall in puddles.  Bad for your leather and folks will point and giggle.

6 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If your leather is extremely dirty from mud, let it dry, brush off the worst of it. Saddle soap is alright if you don't overdo it.  If the holster became wet, wrap your gun in a plastic bag and insert the gun in the holster to maintain the shape.  Allow to dry until it feels dry to the touch on the outside.  Remove the wrapped gun and allow to dry overnight.  When the leather feels dry on the inside, reinsert the gun without the wrapping.  After thoroughly dry, treat the outside of the leather with Lexol(R) Leather Conditioner, SPARINGLY!  After wet-fitting a customer's holster, I spray on a LIGHT application of Lexol, removing excess with a soft cloth (old T-shirt works best), and allow to dry.  DO NOT overdo the application.  For leather that appears to be drying out, again apply a light coating of Lexol and remove the excess with a cloth.  I live in a dry climate and seldom treat my own leather more than once a year or more.

Belts, if cleaned of caked-on dirt with saddle soap, need to be treated the same way.  Do not store cartridges in cartridge loops for more than a few days, at most!  Again, a light application of Lexol Leather Conditioner should do the trick.

Note: old leather that has cracked and split is basically unrecoverable. 

Coincidentally my first cowboy rig was built by none other than Trailrider hisself, back around '04 I'd guess. I've never cleaned it or conditioned it and I wore the snot out of it until just a couple years ago.. That old leather is handsomer than I am.

We have cleaned our bridles, saddles, boots, etc. with both Lexol treatments. I use saddle soap on my cartridge & shell belts and my holsters and pouches. That has worked for me for70 years!!!   :-)

I have NEVER done any deep cleaning of any of our leather.

9 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

The back of my hands look like the surface of the moon. Wish they made Lexol for that.

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream; ‘most any big drugstore.  :D

55 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

How does it hold up to liquid nitrogen?

I have no desire to run that experiment!

The back of my hands look like the surface of the moon. Wish they made Lexol for that.

Lead Friend, got what you need for those hands too ...

Bag Balm! Cows love it, your hands will too and also IMHO, it is the best case lube ... a little dab will do ya:D

Be sure to read the ingredients ...

image.png.7948b75e9e081403ce358a2013035809.png

https://www.drugsupplystore.com/vermonts-original-bag-balm-8-oz-udder-creme?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI58jTreOt2QIVSQeGCh1-oAcYEAQYAyABEgLQZ_D_BwE

I have used many different things on leather and agree with most everything said above...and I will laugh if someone falls in a puddle but I will help them up. Thanks for the chuckle CC. :lol:

I have made many mistakes with leather. Used whiz-bang products that caused cracking or too much softening. Used traditional oils that softened things up too much. Used vegetable based oils that didn't pass my muster.

Now, I do not clean leather unless it's gotten muddy or soiled and I literally use warm water on a damp rag to wipe it down, let it dry, and then I treat it by wiping it down with a soft cotton rag with a spritz of Maguiar's leather treatment (for automotive leather). I do the same with jackets and saddle bags. And it has UV protection.

mumble, mumble. mumble..................

Way back when in the Police Academy (not the movie), cadets kept a can of Pledge and an old t-shirt close for a quick leather touch up if a supervisor was on the floor.

I have used Skidmore's Leather cream, it treats dried and fading leather which is common out here in the high desert.

Here is a link, it's available at most good leather shops as well as Amazon.

http://www.skidmores.com/products.asp?cat=14

TB

Archived