SASS Wire Forum

Blank ammo

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Our club does some "train robberies" during the summer for fun and to help support the club financially. Does anyone have a good cheap source for blanks for revolvers and shotguns? We will not load our own. We currently use plastic  38 and 45 blanks and 12 ga.

Black Hills Shootists.jpg

I had to get some for our fair committee for their "show".

And I have never found a "cheap" source.

They are pretty expensive.  And I have found that the cheaper...The quieter.

I will look at the boxes tomorrow.  I think they are mostly Fiocchi.

The best (loudest) ones we got this year came from Atlanic Wall Blanks.

Mustang

I helped rob a train in Watertown, Tennessee a few years ago. I can't remember who the blanks came from but we went to the CMSA website and bought from one of their authorized suppliers.  The folks involved in running the show had nor sense of humor though. We robbed the train in the morning and then did some skits and demonstrations in town. I looked around town and saw a bank that looked ripe for the picking. I suggested we rob it at high noon but no one else liked my idea.:ph34r:

Randy

PS we were of course using black powder blanks for the smoke and effect and only used .45 and 12 ga.

Here is a link to a youtube video I did a few years back to show how to make blanks for the Pietta Great Western 2 blank gun.  They are made out of 38 spl. cases.  I have since changed to using 38 S&W short cases because they are more uniform in length.  I could make you up some if you are interested but it would have to wait till my shoulder heals from replacement surgery. (I am going in to surgery next Thursday).  I have also made blanks for 45s and the person I made them for may not have anymore use for them because the show he was doing with them stoped.  I could see if he wants to sell them (should be 500 or more).  Let me know.

11 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I helped rob a train in Watertown, Tennessee a few years ago. I can't remember who the blanks came from but we went to the CMSA website and bought from one of their authorized suppliers.  The folks involved in running the show had nor sense of humor though. We robbed the train in the morning and then did some skits and demonstrations in town. I looked around town and saw a bank that looked ripe for the picking. I suggested we rob it at high noon but no one else liked my idea.:ph34r:

Randy

PS we were of course using black powder blanks for the smoke and effect and only used .45 and 12 ga.

Blanks that we used also very weak.  Not sure of the source since the person getting them has now passed.  Would look at the ones used for mounted shooting if you dont want to roll your own.  We robbed the local bank for the 150 year with what could have been interesting results.   Months before they asked the president and he OK the idea with him being a hostage.   Day of the the robbery somebody asked if the bank president had be reminded.   Quick trip in to the president,  he had forgotten ...

Remember that NO blank, even those made and sold for theatrical use, is safe to fire at a person, and especially if closer than about 10 feet.

If you will have close spectators and an enclosed space, you might test how well primer-only cases would work for you.  They are plenty loud inside of typical train cars.  Ream out primer flash holes on pistol cases with a 3/16 drill bit so you don't back out primers and lock revolvers.  Shotguns - won't need to open primer recesses.

Good luck, GJ

Shotgun blanks are very easy to make.  Start with any 12 ga hull, cut off the crimping area, remove and instal a 209 primer, add your charge of Black powder,   Wad up some toilet paper and compress using a wood dowel rod and a mallet.  I can't tell you how much BP to use on this forum but if you PM me I will tell you.

25 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Shotgun blanks are very easy to make.  Start with any 12 ga hull, cut off the crimping area, remove and instal a 209 primer, add your charge of Black powder,   Wad up some toilet paper and compress using a wood dowel rod and a mallet.  I can't tell you how much BP to use on this forum but if you PM me I will tell you.

Do not crimp the shell so the TP is visible for a good safety check.   SASS min 1cc would be a good starting point

2 hours ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Do not crimp the shell so the TP is visible for a good safety check.   SASS min 1cc would be a good starting point

Dutch

Yes, you are correct. I do not crimp the shell, just leave it open.  But remember if you do that to store them in an air tight container so they will  not wick up any moisture.

So, if you get 23 years for train robbery, will each person only get 1 year? I missed the last train robbery in Tn. Dont remember what i was doing, pretty sure it was nothing important.

Imis live ammo with roman candle balls will get you a huge fire on the range. dont ask....

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis live ammo with roman candle balls will get you a huge fire on the range. dont ask....

You and that Blackwater fella .....  :lol:

Shotgun blanks are very easy to make. .....Wad up some toilet paper and compress using a wood dowel rod and a mallet.

I can tell you from hard experience that blanks made like this will shred tin cans at 10 paces.    The TP flies like a solid slug at least that far.

Be careful!   Many years ago, we took a re-enactor to the emergency room to have a fiber wad removed from abdomen - those are even worse than TP wads.

Good luck, GJ

41 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I can tell you from hard experience that blanks made like this will shred tin cans at 10 paces.    The TP flies like a solid slug at least that far.

Be careful!   Many years ago, we took a re-enactor to the emergency room to have a fiber wad removed from abdomen - those are even worse than TP wads.

Good luck, GJ

From my experiance the TP turns into confettie and creates a realy neat display.  Besides when shooing blank one never aims directly and anyone, always to the right, left, over head or at the ground.

Archived