SASS Wire Forum

Movie Sword Fights?

DocWard

Oh, did I forget the James Bond vs Gustav Graves swordfight from Die Another Day? That one too.......

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So, speaking of the Three Musketeers...  how come they ain't got no muskets?   :huh:

Those heavy things were barely man portable. No one would lug one around.

Musketeer.jpg

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

My favorite is from an old japanese samuai film, but danged if I can recall the name of the actor or the film.  My Martial Artists buddies usually have it queued up whenever we start talking about things like this.  Second favorite is inigo montoya and dread pirate roberts, 

But aside from that, adrian paul in the highlander series had a lot of good fights.  He is a martial artist and after the first or second season started studying swords, so the later fights were pretty realistic for hollywood. 

Yojimbo perhaps?

Glad this thread got traction!

I think one of the things I truly like about the fight in the Great Race, other than the choreography, is how Ross Martin's character goes from arrogance, to grudging respect, to respect, to concern, to fear during the course of the fight.

I think the only one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned is from Highlander

On 12/7/2017 at 7:40 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

That was brutal, wasn't it?

My favorites come from the 3 and 4 Musketeer films starring Michael York, Oliver Reed et al.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072281/?ref_=nv_sr_3

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073012/?ref_=nv_sr_1

William Hobbs, the fight director for the Richard Lester Musketeer films was an absolute master at making period rapier combat look good.

The Duellists is one of my all time favorite movies; based on a story by Joseph Conrad story it is the great Ridley Scott’s first film.  Harvey Keitel is simply brilliant as he smoulders and seethes all movie long.  The movie is also an example of some of the best cinematography ever taking advantage of sumptuous costumes and scenery. The opening scene featuring a duel between Keitel and some unlucky slub is the best part of the film in my opinion.  Early morning mist rises from the damp ground, a horse snorts ominously, all at an impossibly picturesque old mill.  You just know someone is going to get it and good. Scott is at his best when creating intense and suspenseful action. This is an underrated flick that I expect about 90% of SASS folks would really appreciate. Probably also the best Napoleonic movie ever made. 

Seamus

50 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

The Duellists is one of my all time favorite movies; based on a story by Joseph Conrad story it is the great Ridley Scott’s first film.  Harvey Keitel is simply brilliant as he smoulders and seethes all movie long.  The movie is also an example of some of the best cinematography ever taking advantage of sumptuous costumes and scenery. The opening scene featuring a duel between Keitel and some unlucky slub is the best part of the film in my opinion.  Early morning mist rises from the damp ground, a horse snorts ominously, all at an impossibly picturesque old mill.  You just know someone is going to get it and good. Scott is at his best when creating intense and suspenseful action. This is an underrated flick that I expect about 90% of SASS folks would really appreciate. Probably also the best Napoleonic movie ever made. 

Seamus

Dang right. Beautifully filmed. One of my favorites.

On 12/8/2017 at 5:50 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Every fight in The Duellists.

Darned fine movie.  Loosely based on history.

"As a young officer in Napoleon's Army, Dupont was ordered to deliver a disagreeable message to a fellow officer, Fournier, a rabid duellist. Fournier, taking out his subsequent rage on the messenger, challenged Dupont to a duel. This sparked a succession of encounters, waged with sword and pistol, that spanned decades. The contest was eventually resolved when Dupont was able to overcome Fournier in a pistol duel, forcing him to promise never to bother him again."

As I recall, Napoleon chastised both of them in a comment about hating the "professional duelist."  

My favorite from the movie:

“Rabid”. Good description of Keitel’s character. :lol:

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Dang right. Beautifully filmed. One of my favorites.

8 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus

I forgot about that one.  The Duelists has outstanding fights all the way through!

Luke Skywalker and Darh Vader's light sabre battles.

My wife's grandmother introduced us to her new, next door neighbour, here in Ottawa/Vanier, mentioning that he worked at the National Arts Centre.

Later, chatting over tea and cookies, she told us he was the fencing instructor at the NAC and had just completed work for "Some movie called "The Yeti or "The Yedi" as Grandma Edith described it.

It wasn't until the Star Wars movie came out we learned what she was referring to.

Archived