SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Protection

W. D. Pickett

I saw somewhere that the in ear hearing protection is not as good as the muff style.  Is this true?  Are the custom made in ear protection what I need.  Who does the custom in ear protection?

If you are not wearing glasses it may be possible to get more noise reduction from ear muffs.

However by wearing glasses they compromise the seal between the muff and your head. So ear plugs are generally better for shooting sports.

Properly inserted the roll up foam plugs are the best. However many people do not get them properly inserted into the ear so they are not a good as they could be. That is where the custom plugs come in. They do an excellent job IF they are properly made.

Generally, the NRR (noise reduction rating) of muff style hearing protection is less than in ear hearing protection. Some options aside of the foam in-ear plugs are sure fire sonic defender plugs or radians do-it-yourself custom plugs.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pTy7ybD5Z3865

SureFire EarPro EP6 Signature Series Hearing Protection Earpieces, Medium, Black, One Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UZSCTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZRy7ybCJPX8Z0

ESP - Electronic Shooting Protection. Been wearing them for years. Rifle and shotgun stocks bang on muffs

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Properly inserted the roll up foam plugs are the best. However many people do not get them properly inserted into the ear so they are not a good as they could be.

Yup!

For decades I used the squishy foam plugs and they work well. But a number of years ago they started to bother me. Itchy and sore after a while. Determined that maybe it has to do with the age-related increase of hair growing in my ear canals.

I switched over to the Radians custom molded yourself for around $10 from Amazon. I used these inside my motorcycle helmet and they worked wonderfully. Allowed me to hear music, talk on the phone, etc. I had a BMW K1600GTL with Autocom system.

I started using them for shooting also and absolutely love them.

I do have a set of the electronic muffs also but can't use them shooting long guns since them hit the stock when aiming. My wife now uses them when we're out pistol shooting.

I always use the foam plugs that have a reduction of 32 dB. Muffs do not give you this kind of reduction, especially when wearing SAFETY glasses.

I have found that wearing the foam plugs at a multi-day match that they do hurt my ear canals after a couple days.

I tried custom plugs years ago but I don't giving myself a "wet-willy" to get them in.

I like my custom plugs with the "filter" which allows hearing conversations but block shot noise.  They were made by Mark Reid, who will be at EOT.

As others have said, the ear plugs have a higher rating than essentially any muff, but that is not the entire story.

Sound also penetrates through the bones around your ears, so for max protection I use plugs AND muffs. This adds a few more db protection of the actual ears and significant protection for the sound entering through the bones.

Of course, I normally don't need that outdoors with cowboy shooting, but I do use that if I go to an indoor range.

55 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

As others have said, the ear plugs have a higher rating than essentially any muff, but that is not the entire story.

Sound also penetrates through the bones around your ears, so for max protection I use plugs AND muffs. This adds a few more db protection of the actual ears and significant protection for the sound entering through the bones.

Of course, I normally don't need that outdoors with cowboy shooting, but I do use that if I go to an indoor range.

I do this at indoor ranges as well.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I always use the foam plugs that have a reduction of 32 dB. Muffs do not give you this kind of reduction, especially when wearing SAFETY glasses.

I have found that wearing the foam plugs at a multi-day match that they do hurt my ear canals after a couple days.

I tried custom plugs years ago but I don't giving myself a "wet-willy" to get them in.

I don't have to wet the ones Tommy made to get them in my ear, I have 3 pair all made by different people as his are by far the best

Randy

in general i always think any type is better than none - even tho im old enough to remember when no one thought of wearing it for hunting and such , it was just a bang after all , i did not shoot ATA when i was young or any other organized shooting sport persey so im not certain how they dealt with it and i suspect i might have thought different if i had back then , 

wear the best you can afford that offers you the flexibility to shoot comfortably , 

5 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I don't have to wet the ones Tommy made to get them in my ear, I have 3 pair all made by different people as his are by far the best

Randy

Yep, I use custom made ear plugs made by Tommy and they are, by far, the best ear protection I have used.  If I am shooting at an indoor range I'll put in my custom molded earplugs and then add a set of ear muffs on top of them.

Kajun

Muffs are the better choice IMO, but don't fit well under a cowboy hat so I use foam plugs.  For range activities other than cowboy where I can wear a cap, I'll use electronic Walker Alphas. If inside a shelter I will use foam plugs in combo with electronic muffs.

I tried the Razor X, found them ineffective and uncomfortable, not as much NRR as foam plugs.  They didn't react quick enough to a gunshot, and then remained in suppressed mode for another second or two.:(

I do not like plugs except in a pinch.

muffs have worked well for me and recently picked up an electronic set that I hope work well.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

When is was in the Air Force, as a crew chief on an F-100, they issued us ear plugs. They told us that we would go deaf if we didn't wear them. Just before I got out in '70 they issued muffs too. The muffs and plugs were definitely better. By the way I am 10% disabled through the VA foe hearing loss and I wore the plugs religiously. Jet engines were definitely noisier than CAS rounds.

These work very well. Inexpensive and very effective. 

20170421_070847-1.jpg

20170421_070904-1.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

Howdy Randy,

Who is Tommy?

Indoors I always wear both plugs and muffs. Instead of shooting glasses I use goggles, and I put the goggles strap over the muffs instead of under, which does double duty of preventing the air gaps common with the muffs/eye pro combo, and also holds the muffs a bit tighter to my head. 

Outdoors it isn't as critical, so I'll use plugs only if necessary (such as shooting rifles where I need a good cheek weld), otherwise muffs only. 

Archived