SASS Wire Forum

INVISIBLE CLUBS

Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life

The 7 to 8 stages above are all shot on 4 bays. The targets are set the afternoon before each monthly shoot (and the annual) and removed immediately following shooting.

Again, well and good. BUT, our matches are shot on TWO bays, just changing scenarios, using the same target setups. We can't put anything on the range unless we are shooting it. We don't have the afternoon before the shoot to use the range. It is open to "casual" shooting by other club members. At the end of our shooting day, the range is again, turned over to casual shooting. We've explored this from every angle, and decided it isn't worth persuing. "Nuff said!! No annual. SASS Hq isn't interested in us, thus we aren't interested in them as our governing body. We still practice the "Cowboy Way", just don't pay them for the privlige.

Al

GCK, I laud the club for doing this. BUT, here again, crops up the problem we have. We have CAS range space for only 4 stages, and we get to use it ONE day a month, for approx. 6 hrs, and have to remove ALL targets etc from the range at the end of the shooting day. Pray tell me how we could put on an annual?? I asked the same question of SASS and received NO REPLY.

Come on down south of Cleburne with LSFSC or CVV. Not the fanciest but 8+ 'bays', some are under construction but I'd wager once they are all done, probably about 12, maybe more. I've only been once, this past weekend and didn't count them all. It appears they put on an annual match also. This is on a working cattle ranch so the opportunity to 'soil' your boots is there, but I don't mind that at all.

They have long range rifle also.

At $30/yr and $15/match, it seems pretty reasonable. Gives me the opportunity to shoot 2 weekends a month or once a month if my schedule gets jacked up. I've joined LSFSC and will be joining CVV shortly.

Edited by Lost Trail

Again, well and good. BUT, our matches are shot on TWO bays, just changing scenarios, using the same target setups. We can't put anything on the range unless we are shooting it. We don't have the afternoon before the shoot to use the range. It is open to "casual" shooting by other club members. At the end of our shooting day, the range is again, turned over to casual shooting. We've explored this from every angle, and decided it isn't worth persuing. "Nuff said!! No annual. SASS Hq isn't interested in us, thus we aren't interested in them as our governing body. We still practice the "Cowboy Way", just don't pay them for the privlige.

Al

What does an annual have to do with the fee?

Have you ever been part of putting one on and know the cost?

What would you like Sass to do for you and your range problem, negotiate with them?

I have been apart of it and let me say it's not easy and it's costly. Our club did not make money in fact members put up there own money.

EMM

Amazed by the irony of some who use the living snot out of this forum yet claim to have no use for the organization that owns it............wow

Or who are even SASS Members in good standing!

Rolan, I take umbrage at that remark. I am A LIFE member, have been since their (SASS) earlier financial distresses', when I opted in for the life to help out. The use of the forum site and an ad filled chronicle seems to be the only perks I get from them nowdays.

And in answer to the question, what does an annual have to do in reguard to the fees?? If you don't put one on, they aren't interested in you or your club. I know this from personal contact with the HQ. And yes, I have assisted in putting on a major shoot. Yes, it is a lot of work.

Lone Star Frontier Shooting club/CVV are class shooting groups and have the premier shooting facility in North Texas IMHO. Shot there many times, but health has kept me away the last too many months.

Al

SASS Life

TSRA Life

NRA Endowment, Certified Rifle, Pistol, S/G, B/P instructor

ASC Life

Proudly served US Army, 2nd Armored Div.

• Like 1

Or who are even SASS Members in good standing!

Roland, your post got me to thinking........... Is there a way to see a list of current SASS "paid up" members?

I'm wondering how many are posting on the forum who joined, got their alias and badge then stopped paying dues? I shoot with a couple of folks I know of that stopped paying dues but still shoot with us

And in answer to the question, what does an annual have to do in reguard to the fees?? If you don't put one on, they aren't interested in you or your club. I know this from personal contact with the HQ. And yes, I have assisted in putting on a major shoot. Yes, it is a lot of work

What do you want SASS to do for you???????? What interest do you want SASS to take in your club???? Been a match director for he past 10+ years and never was wondering what INTEREST Sass had in my club or what they can DO for me, BUT more what WE as a club and me as a member can do to hep grow and promote SASS or help support our community

I guess all shooting disciples, parent organizations, have the same problem. Clubs that aren't affiliated putting on shoots. It's just a problem that's not going to go away. Unless members police themselves. I doubt that will happen. Just the way I see it from my saddle.

SASS Hq isn't interested in us, thus we aren't interested in them as our governing body. We still practice the "Cowboy Way", just don't pay them for the privlige.

Al

What a crock of "Bull Crap"!! My understanding of the cowboy way is loyalty to the organization that supports us, taking responsibility for myself and paying my way not whining and making excuses. Sorry but that's how I interpreted your posts, If you don't want to be part of SASS just man up and say so that your right, no excuses necessary.

PS just because you don't have an annual shoot doesn't mean you get nothing from SASS. Look at Tornado's post above he explains the benefits better than I've ever heard before.

Grey Beard

Rolan, I take umbrage at that remark. I am A LIFE member, have been since their (SASS) earlier financial distresses', when I opted in for the life to help out. The use of the forum site and an ad filled chronicle seems to be the only perks I get from them nowdays.

And in answer to the question, what does an annual have to do in reguard to the fees?? If you don't put one on, they aren't interested in you or your club. I know this from personal contact with the HQ. And yes, I have assisted in putting on a major shoot. Yes, it is a lot of work.

Lone Star Frontier Shooting club/CVV are class shooting groups and have the premier shooting facility in North Texas IMHO. Shot there many times, but health has kept me away the last too many months.

Al

SASS Life

TSRA Life

NRA Endowment, Certified Rifle, Pistol, S/G, B/P instructor

ASC Life

Proudly served US Army, 2nd Armored Div.

Well, maybe I can help out with getting you down to LSFSC. Since you served in 2nd AD and I served in 2nd ID and 1st Cav (tank gunner & commander), we might be able to have some conversations during the ride.

I take I-20 east to 35W South. Maybe I could be your driver when we can coordinate.

Looks like you've got some instructor experience I could learn from also. Be glad to help a fellow vet.

Now that we a non profit corporation, who are the officers? Obviously, we are not in a membership organization.

So. what are we?

I am a Life Member, Founders Club Member, Hall of Fame, Museum, etc. and never had an promised invitation to an event

but did get a BBQ sandwich once at EOT.

I love shooting so I continue. However, I have not fooled myself that anyone in HQ gives a D___ about us.

• Like 2

Not trying to further stir the pot, but it sounds like some here are shocked that HQ would charge an affiliation fee. We are actually pretty lucky. Back when I shot USPSA, the club I was associated with paid $65/year to be affiliated, PLUS we had to pay $2.50 per shooter for monthly shoots when we would upload our scores. Considering our club size at the time, we were paying over $700 for the privilege.

Maybe I have a non-normal experience, but every time I has taken the time to contact SASS HQ, they have been very attentive and helpful with whatever issue I had

• Like 1

Border Marauders often hosts an annual match. However, our members are aging out so it is getting to be quite a burden.

If it weren;t for our Canadian members, annuals would be ancient history. Because of the lack of jobs, the young to middle

aged population is small and getting smaller.

El Buscaderos has very little parking plus, there are only a few young people. Anyway, they are an "Invisible Club."

Personally, I would like to have a few of the clubs in our part of the upper Idaho panhandle, Montana and Washington

join forces at and work together to host an annual match.

Clubs around our area of eastern Ontario, Western Quebec charge a match fee between $15 and $20

Earnings go towards buying/repairing steel, props etc.

I feel the pain of some pards here whose ranges aren't as co-operative as ours at the Eastern Ontario Shooting Club.

After a long, painful process, we finally got our new, dedicated CAS range approved by the Chief Firearms Officer for Ontario, thanks to the persistent efforts of the owner of the range, the late Ray Charbonneau.