SASS Wire Forum

shot gun ammo why some brands are higher

Trigger Mike

If you shoot an '87 or '97 with the mechanical ejector almost any ammo is OK. Double guns (even with slicked up chambers) can be choosy. In mine Winchester AA and Remington SPS always work easy.

Back in the day, I spent Labor Day Saturday trying to knock doves out of the sky. The limit on this challenging bird was 12 per day. Youth and ignorance were abundant in those fields.

The cheap ammo was $3.50 per box. The shot column was wrapped by a flat plastic wad. The success rate on birds was not great. Five birds per box of shells was considered good shooting.

Same guns, same shooters, one year later, but shooting $5.00/box shells that had cupped wads. Ten birds per box was the norm.

On average for a Saturday match, I spend $15 entry fee, $10 on gas, $15 on food and $20 on pistol and rifle loads so that I can have a good time and shoot well. Why would I take a chance on having less than adequate shotshells so that I could save a couple of bucks? (I reload my shotshells, but shot factory loads for several years.)

Maybe for duck hunting there is a difference.

But for the extremely short range we shoot.

The cheapest thing you can find is more that adequate :-)

You have to try each and test to your liking. Ribbed shells will generally not shuck from my sxs. My friends 97 wont tolerate gun club, mine hates cheap Win. Bought some Win Lite lrln by accident couple of years ago. Same price as AA lrln but with ribbed hull. Wont come out of sxs, saved them for a WB only to find they didn't work in my 97 either. Usually reload all my ammo, but will shoot factory shotgun at State or higher matchs. GW

I spent years of fall saturdays in the dove fields myself.

Shot a 16ga SxS sears stevens from age 11 to even the present.

Five out of 25 ???

Really ???

Seems like they'd figure it out quicker than that.

Anyways,

I have noticed better performance from certain brands, and less powder fouling.

Winchester works best for me in 16 or 12

What are you trying to do? I assume your are talking buck shot/defense loads for your home.

For self defense, and 4 kids in the home, the Wal-Mart post turkey season clearance shelf $5 a box 2 3/4" 12 ga 1 1/2 to 2 oz standard non-magnum turkey loads at 1300 fps will do the trick. It is usually #4 shot or a #4/6 blend.

1 1/2 to 2oz of lead will hurt right smart down a hall way.

Plus you can turkey hunt with it.

Watch this and decide for yourself.....

"I don't know nobody made of ballistic gel"

"It goes against everything I believe in to ruin $25 of good pork."

I always buy the cheapest shotgun ammo. whatever is on sale is fine by me. Is there any advantage to hornady critical defense etc verses military grade winchester for half the price?

Recoil.

yes, i am wondering about defense loads. as for CAS i used remingtons and winchester smooth shells and loved them. just wondering if Hornady shotgun shells are worth it are are the winchester in a military box for $4 a box of 5 good enough.

On opening DOVE DAY, I had been practicing raising and lowering my two dove guns two weeks before.

Some one above BRAGGED about getting 5 with one box,BARF, don't believe it at all.

I BOUGHT THE YEAR after dove season closed, the fastest velocity loads on sale for next year usually at bass pro buck cheaper.

My wife when she was new,HAH, came with me one opening DOVE DAY, she thought WW2 sounded like that, she laughed when I plopped down next to her, gave her my s-gun,

so hot, 'WHERE'S THE BIRD, hated that women, you all look like fools. She met other women there and they drank wine had a grand day.

TWO guns always, one n awhile I EVEN TOOKA SXS FIRED 2 TWO TGETHER, SHE LAUGHED EVEN HARDER THEN.

But her and I would get great pictures on ducks and goose without firing a shot. We are a bit too old now for that weather but have pictures.

We made out of bamboo sheets that fit our shapes and cover with new foliage in that area, lie down in the grass with a fe decoys out anchored out bit,

fool around and when birds came, push up, drop sheets, take pictures amazing , lunch time we would all get together, we showed our pictures in our cameras

we had almost all better shots than some of the hunters. We only harvested on the first two days so the taste was still of corn not salty. I miss those days,

why must we get old and loose strength. BLESS YOU ALL

You never know, Duffield.

Maybe he's planning to practice.

Who would do that?

I reload my own shotgun shells. They work slick as snoot out of my SXS, only problem, they don't knock the knock out of the

knockdowns. Maybe if I actually hit the knockdown it would be different.

Archived