SASS Wire Forum

73 Rifle For Smaller People

Howdy All

I'm asking a question. I know. I know. I'm opening up a large can of worms asking questions here! :lol: Here's the question. What 73 are the "smaller stature people" shooting? Some of the 73's are pretty heavy with the octagon barrels, and if you get a shorter barreled rifle, they won't hold 10 rounds. What opinions do you all have? Alright, you've heard the question. Let 'er rip!

Tonic

Some of the 18" barrelled guns can be had 1/2 round/ 1/2 octagon. They are lighter. Then you may want to shorten the stock. Those guns will hold 10 38s or 45s. I believe the 19" carbines will also hold 10 38s. Tayolor's and company has a Lady's and Youth at 16 1/8" that holds 10 38s.

The lightest 73's are either the carbine with a 19" barrel or the half-octagon, round barrel models.

For shorter folks, cut down the stock to fit and help cycle the gun and get the lightest gun and possibly have the barrel cut to 17 inches to keep weight at a min. I think some have even removed some metal from the bottom of the barrel, under the fore end stock.

A little reduction of the barrel makes quite a difference due to the leverage of the added (or subtracted) weight.

Trapper.jpgMy wife is shooting a 73' Cimarron Trapper, it has a 16 1/4" round barrel and will hold 10 .38 rounds. It's a very light and fun gun to shoot. With the stock cut to fit her the over all length is 34". Johnny Meadows had it at Winter Range.

Tully

While I am by no means small of stature, I enjoy shooting my new production Winchester (Miroku) '73 Trapper with 16" full-round barrel. Very handy and light feeling for a '73. As shown in the photo below it weighs in at 6 pounds 13 oz (unloaded). By comparison my wife's stainless Rossi R92 with 20" (round) barrel is just less than 1 pound lighter. Both guns are chambered in 357/38 Special, and both feed 38 Special smoothly so we can shoot the same light reloads in both our revolvers and our rifles.

i-FH2SwvT-L.jpg

The Trapper is advertised to hold 10 each 38 Special rounds in the magazine tube. Mine did when new, but wouldn't feed the first round smoothly/reliably. A little shorter magazine follower cured that and there have been no issues since that install.

I bought my wife the same16 inch rifle as Tully Mars (only the Taylor's & Co. version). PERFECT for her. The guns are made by Uberti.

I did need to spend the money to have Jim Bowie (Cowboys and Indian Store) to do the following:

1. Short Stroke kit

2. Shorten the feed spring to hold 10 rounds of 38S

3. New front AND rear sights (the carbine sights are junk)

Spend the money and cry only once. I made the investment 13 years ago and never regretted it.

Good Luck, Conejo

I shoot a '73. Feels heavy when you pick it up. But when the timer goes off and the adrenalin is pumping, I couldn't tell you if it weighed 10lbs. or only 2

Wife's rifle is a full round 19" carbine, weight 7.19 lb. Mine is the rifle, 20" full octagon, 7.82 lb. 10 ounces and 1 inch doesn't sound like much but there is a big difference in how they feel. Wife is 98 lb. soaking wet and has no trouble hoisting the carbine. Truth be told I'd rather shoot the carbine too. Octagon barrel looks cool though.

It's not just the weight but the leverage of the weight based on the fulcrum of the hand on the forestock. Swinging the weight from side to side is really noticeable between a short carbine and full octagon 24" barreled 1873.

Based on Taylor's website:

1873 Carbine w/ 16-1/2" = 7.20#

1873 Carbine w/18" = 7.48#

1873 1/2 Oct. w/ 18" = 7.39#

1873 Std. Full Oct. w/24" = 8.20#

w/20" = 7.59#

Hasta Luego, Keystone

World Champion Lead Ringer was shooting a Uberti 1873, 16" round barrel carbine, in 357 Mag, Just like my wife. They both shoot them well. Then I got my wife to move from the Uberti 1873 16" round barrel to the 19" round barrel and we determined she could shoot faster and more accurate with the longer round barrel. She is a weak kitten, specially around me....... :D:D

Thanks for all the comments! The rifle would NOT be for me. I'm "larger" than lots of cowboys. :D Seems like you never get the opportunity to "handle" every rifle you're interested in. Like I said, I appreciate all the comments/advice.

TMH.... I sent you a PM.

I've never before seen a Winchester (Miroku) '73 Trapper or Carbine......

Where did you get yours??????????

Howdy All

I'm asking a question. I know. I know. I'm opening up a large can of worms asking questions here! :lol: Here's the question. What 73 are the "smaller stature people" shooting? Some of the 73's are pretty heavy with the octagon barrels, and if you get a shorter barreled rifle, they won't hold 10 rounds. What opinions do you all have? Alright, you've heard the question. Let 'er rip!

Tonic

Howdy All

Tonic

Sorry to the folks who PM'd me, but my notifications were going into SPAM (now fixed).

I grabbed my Trapper through Davidson's when they showed up in stock (for only a very short time!).

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=534223137

Seems like these were a limited edition made for Davidson's, but maybe will come back if deemed popular enough?

EDIT:

I was also able to get one of the Win/Miroku '73 Short Rifles (20" BBL) from Davidson's when they had stock:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=534202137

i-8fnLQ5L-XL.jpg

For reference, unadorned and unloaded its weight is 7 lbs 10 oz, so very nearly a pound more than the Trapper.

Being shorter than most Buckaroos I make up for it with my guns

24" Winchester 73

28" Makuru Double

7 1/2" Ruger 45s

Scratch

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Do some Curls and Pushups and use the full sized rifle! Hoss

Sounds like work Hoss😋

Miss Behavin' and I, are frail and puny. So the 16" carbine is the long gun of choice for us👍🏼

I've built a couple of 16" carbines for folks. One for a lady and the other for a retired guy who had shoulder problems.

Great little guns.

Regards,

Ringer

Archived