SASS Wire Forum

1873 Rifle Question

Hello All,

After a hiatus due to military service, I am looking to get back into SASS matches. This time I thought I would go with an 1873 model rifle rather than a 92, and have been shopping around for them. The problem I find myself facing is that both the Uberti models and the Winchester are darn nice weapons. The price points are close enough that it's not a deal breaker either way.

What is the common consensus of the group? Which tends to be a better rifle?

Any information you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

The biggest difference is that there is a very large cottage industry making speed and replacement parts for the Uberti. Very little is available for the Winchester. If I were starting from scratch and wanted to build a race gun I would start with the Uberti.

Mr. Pettifogger,

That's compelling right there. The aftermarket parts won't fit on the new Winchesters?

Jack

No. There are many internal differences between the Winchester and the Uberti. The parts don't interchange.

Howdy,

once again, try before you buy.

Any well tuned gun is worth having.

OR just buy one of each and sell what you don't like.

Best

CR

I would be more interested in the 92 as there are less parts and it is made for stronger cartridges ergo last longer, made better, no weak spots

like links in the 73, sear make up,not that anything happened, 73 has 4 parts, 92 has 2 parts. Lee

I would be more interested in the 92 as there are less parts and it is made for stronger cartridges ergo last longer, made better, no weak spots

like links in the 73, sear make up, 73 has 4 parts, 92 has 2 parts. Lee

Less parts in an 1892??

To the original poster, while 92s can be made fun and to run well, I bet there wasn't a 92 of any make in the top 250 at Winter Range.

Less parts in an 1892??

To the original poster, while 92s can be made fun and to run well, I bet there wasn't a 92 of any make in the top 250 at Winter Range.

Well, technically he's correct:

there are 68 parts in an Uberti 1873

there are 65 parts in a Rossi 92

I started with a 92. Was a decent gun. I sold it to a non-sass shooter and now own 3 model 73's instead.

The 73 is by far the best gun on the market for this game. There is no 92 made these days that is better than the Uberti or the Winchester 73, and even the best of the 92s (Browning) are not, IMO, as good as the 73 for this game. Just being a stronger type action doesn't mean a thing... we are using Gallery loads in this game anyway. Larson is correct that there are many after market, drop in parts available for the Uberti 73... and stock parts are also available for the Uberti. Both the Uberti and the Winchester can be tricked out for this game. I've done both. There are some aftermarket links available for the Winchester. Both guns are good... IMO, and it is very subjective and many folks would and will dispute it, the Winchester is the better quality gun and is finished out better than the Uberti. It is far better out of the box than any of the Uberti 73 that I have ever seen, and I've done a lot of them... in fact, it can be used right out of the box. HOWEVER.. if you decide to "trick it out", you will have to go slowly, because if you screw something up or take a part down too far, parts are difficult to get for the Winchester. Even though I believe that the Winchester is a better quality gun..... I shoot the Uberti, and even my backup is a Uberti. I don't shoot out of the box guns, I race them all, and the best gun for that purpose, in this game, is the Uberti 73. Some can dispute that, but it doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to see what the number one gun on the range is, or in the Winner's circle... believe me.... if there was a better one.... I WOULD HAVE IT, and so would my competitors.

Snakebite

I still own 3 Nate Kiowa Jones' Rossi 92s.

Gotta have one -- Most of my cowboy film heroes shot them.

I shoot Uberti toggle link guns most of the time, but I LIKE 92s too.

Many of us want to shoot well, but will never compete at the upper levels at state-and-above matches.

Shoot what you want -- shoot the guns you love -- yule have more fun!

--Dawg

.............. -- Most of my cowboy film heroes shot them........

--Dawg

Now that is a true statement... the were so good, that most of them even shot them back in the 1860s, 70s, 80s, and a few even in the 1890s, after they actually existed! :P

Snakebite

If'n ya git a slicked up '73 yore never gonna regret yore decision.

Great rifle all around.

If'n ya want one (a cowboy rifle) to hunt AND play cowboy with, a rifle capable of shootin' +P type non CAS loads, try to find a JM Marlin in 45 Colt.

I love my codymatic!!

Less parts in an 1892??

But I would point out that 6th. place in the Longrange Pistol Caliber Rifle event ,was shot with a 92 in .45 Colt using full case loads of 3F Goex powder under a 270 gr. RNFP...

This gun was in factory form , original springs and all...

Jabez Cowboy

But I would point out that 6th. place in the Longrange Pistol Caliber Rifle event ,was shot with a 92 in .45 Colt using full case loads of 3F Goex powder under a 270 gr. RNFP...

This gun was in factory form , original springs and all...

Jabez Cowboy

Great! I believe he was asking about main match rifles.

The 73 is by far the best gun on the market for this game. There is no 92 made these days that is better than the Uberti or the Winchester 73, and even the best of the 92s (Browning) are not, IMO, as good as the 73 for this game. Just being a stronger type action doesn't mean a thing... we are using Gallery loads in this game anyway. Larson is correct that there are many after market, drop in parts available for the Uberti 73... and stock parts are also available for the Uberti. Both the Uberti and the Winchester can be tricked out for this game. I've done both. There are some aftermarket links available for the Winchester. Both guns are good... IMO, and it is very subjective and many folks would and will dispute it, the Winchester is the better quality gun and is finished out better than the Uberti. It is far better out of the box than any of the Uberti 73 that I have ever seen, and I've done a lot of them... in fact, it can be used right out of the box. HOWEVER.. if you decide to "trick it out", you will have to go slowly, because if you screw something up or take a part down too far, parts are difficult to get for the Winchester. Even though I believe that the Winchester is a better quality gun..... I shoot the Uberti, and even my backup is a Uberti. I don't shoot out of the box guns, I race them all, and the best gun for that purpose, in this game, is the Uberti 73. Some can dispute that, but it doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to see what the number one gun on the range is, or in the Winner's circle... believe me.... if there was a better one.... I WOULD HAVE IT, and so would my competitors.

Snakebite

+1

Great! I believe he was asking about main match rifles.

That would be my MAIN MATCH Rifle and Load !!!

And I should point out it was shot against at least 80% shooters using Tricked up guns shooting Smokeless powder ...

Jabez Cowboy

I appreciate the replies; thank you very much for them. Does anyone happen to know, offhand, whether the original rifles were made with the straight stock, pistol grip, or both?

The original Winchesters sporting rifles were available in both the straight and pistol grips, but that may be an overly simple answer.

Here's some more information:

First Model Rifle

• Dust cover held in place by grooved guides on either side
  • Checkered oval finger grip on top of dust cover
  • Lever latch threaded into lower tang
  • Butt Plate metal and Crescent shaped
  • Full-, half-octagon, or round barrel
  • Fixed Front Sight
  • Caliber in 44-40 only
  • Full magazine
  • Capped forearm
  • Serial numbers on lower tang up to 31000

Second Model Rifle

• Dust cover operates on one central guide held in place with screws
  • Checkered oval finger grip on top of dust cover in early guns
  • Later 2nd Model guns have serrated finger grips on rear of dust cover
  • bullet Butt Plate metal and Crescent shaped
  • Fixed Front Sight
  • Solid frame or take down
  • Full, 2/3 or 1/2 magazine
  • Capped forearm
  • Serial numbers on lower tang up to 90000

Third Model Rifle

• All guns have serrated finger grips on rare of dust cover
  • Fixed Front Sight
  • Solid frame
  • Full magazine
  • Capped forearm
  • Serial numbers on lower tang between 90000 and 720,000

1873 Rifle Styles

Sporting Rifle

• 24 inch Barrel
  • bullet Full Octagon, half-octagon, or round barrel
  • Fixed Front Sight
  • Solid frame
  • Full magazine
  • Capped forearm
  • Plain version has Stock made of plain Walnut, straight or Pistol Grip, with no checkering

Carbine

• 20 inch round Barrel
  • Butt Plate iron and rounded
  • Only with a round barrel
  • Solid frame
  • Saddle ring
  • Single-banded forearm
  • Trapper's carbines with a smaller length barrel adds value

Musket

• 32 inch Barrel
  • Butt Plate is rounded
  • Round barrel
  • Fixed Front Sight
  • Solid frame
  • Forearm runs almost entire length of barrel
  • Forearm held in place with three barrel bands

Hurricane,

Thank you for the answer, sir. I want to get something that is historically accurate and that information is a great help.

Jack

You're welcome.

The data is from an appraisal website. I can't take credit (though I can copy and paste with the best of 'em!) Good luck.

HD

Archived