SASS Wire Forum

Need some US ARMY information

Alpo

Specifically, has Griffin screwed up - again?

Book #5 in the Presidential Agent series - Black Ops.

LT. Colonel Castillo is planning to mount an operation against the evil Russians, deep in the heart of what used to be the Belgian Congo.

BIRD Colonel Hamilton, part of the team, is insisting that he will go into the Congo.

Castillo says he should not go (too dangerous), but Hamilton says, in effect, "My chicken trumps your leaf, so I'm in charge, and I'm going."

Colonel Hamilton is a MEDICAL DOCTOR who works for the "U.S. Army Medical Research Institute at Fort Dietrich, Maryland,"

So my query.

As a MEDICAL DOCTOR, is not Colonel Hamilton what is referred to as SPECIAL BRANCH, and is not in the line of command, while LT Colonel Castillo, being in SPECIAL FORCES, is in what is referred to as BASIC BRANCH, is the ranking officer, and is in command, and if he says, "No, Colonel, you can't go", the Colonel can't go?

Hahahahaha!

Hahaha!

Har! :D

There are individuals in all branches of service who feel that rank trumps all, regardless of mission or function. And it doesn't.

A friend of mine is a military police officer who's run into individuals of rank who feel that a PFC police officer has no ability to present them with a speeding ticket. For some reason this is especially prevalent with military spouses who like to ask, "Do you know who I'm married to?"

Their standard response is, "Your rank does not outweigh my authority."

We had a Bn Surgeon who I think wanted to be a commando. Always wore a shoulder holstered 1911, Aussie bush hat, and handlebar mustache. :D

We had a bunch of mess hall commandos.

Coffee pot was always going. Only fighters I saw

were Lt. Murphy, First Sgt. Willingham, and S/Sgt Buxton.

Sp/4 Charlie was a lover, not a fighter.

I too, knew my way around the mess hall, but mostly

it was with KP duty. :D

I was in the Air Police and when I asked the base commanders wife for her ID and vehicle pass she said" Sgt. Do you know who my husband is?" to which I replied " Yes ma'am and I hope hes not too mad at you for not having your DL and vehicle pass with you>". The base commander ( Col. Hurgett) called my CO and they both had a laugh. MY CO called me in and said I handled it correctly and the base commander wanted to tell me hes not pissed at me... or his wife. We both had a laugh at that.

In this rare instance, the Lieutenant Colonel wins. Medical doctors can only command hospitals and medical units. Unless they are in one of those positions, their rank is merely to compensate them for their education and only carries limited "general military authority."

So, can the medical doctor Colonel sit on a court martial board that requires an officer of his rank?

YES, Courts Martial panels are made up of all branches. They also like to have a jury of commanders and staff officers.

As for the original question, the LTC can only deny the COL from participating in the mission if he is in charge/ command of the unit, regardless of his branch. Do not read the series of books so do not know if the LTC is in command.

Well, he was until this doctor/colonel was brought in, and said, "I outrank you, so I'm boss".

His argument was that he would not go in with a red cross brassard, but would remove the caduceus, and go in with a gun, as a combatant.

I've heard of medics choosing to remove the brassard, and carrying guns while treating the wounded. But just removing the cross don't put them in the line of command.

First I ever heard of "line officers", was in The Sixth Column, by Heinlein. The "Pan-Asians" have conquered us. An Army major arrives at a secret government research facility. The CO of the facility, a colonel, announces that since he outranks the major, he will be the one deciding on how to use the new weapon they developed. Major tells him, "You're a scientist, I'm a line officer. I'm in command."

And after thinking about it a minute, the colonel agrees.

Good book, if you've never read it. Strange. But good.

Well, he was until this doctor/colonel was brought in, and said, "I outrank you, so I'm boss".

His argument was that he would not go in with a red cross brassard, but would remove the caduceus, and go in with a gun, as a combatant.

I've heard of medics choosing to remove the brassard, and carrying guns while treating the wounded. But just removing the cross don't put them in the line of command.

First I ever heard of "line officers", was in The Sixth Column, by Heinlein. The "Pan-Asians" have conquered us. An Army major arrives at a secret government research facility. The CO of the facility, a colonel, announces that since he outranks the major, he will be the one deciding on how to use the new weapon they developed. Major tells him, "You're a scientist, I'm a line officer. I'm in command."

And after thinking about it a minute, the colonel agrees.

Good book, if you've never read it. Strange. But good.

Anything by Heinlein is good.

IIRC, wasn't there a doctor who commanded the 1st Volunteer Cavalry in the Spanish American War? Col. Leonard Wood, I believe. Although his second-in-command, a bespectacled LTC, who actually led the troops up Kettle Hill.

Wood was in the medical corps but he had hopes of becoming a line officer. While serving under Gen. Miles, Captain Lawson of the 4th Cavalry gave him that opportunity in July 1886 while the Army was attempting to corral Geronimo. He was given command of 20 infantry and won a Medal of Honor for that campaign which was awarded in 1898. Tom Horn was a scout and interpreter and rode with Wood. In 1898 he was given command as a Colonel of Volunteers with service in Cuba and the Philippines at wars end he was a Major General of Volunteers with the rank of Brigadier General in the regular Army. In 1910 he became the Army Chief of Staff retiring in1914.

Archived