SASS Wire Forum

45 Cowboy Special Brass

Null N. Void

I may be shooting my 45 caliber Rugers more, and I like the 45 Cowboy Special. I have a limited supply, and they are not available as brass or loaded ammo.

I have plenty of regular 45 Colt Brass. I marked a case to the Cowboy Special length, used a tubing cutter to cut the excess off, de-burred it and now I have a piece of 45 Colt Cut to the Cowboy Special length. It took about 2 minutes. I made a dummy round and it fit nicely in the revolver.

Is there something I'm missing? It seem fairy easy and I'd probably get 30 to 40 out an hour. Unless I'm missing something, I'll make some loaded rounds up and try them this weekend.

South Buffalo Slim

Here is my attempt at making C45S from 45 Colt. I think wacking off most of the excess first - by tubing cutter or trim die would speed things along. But the trim to length about needs to be done with a timmer to get consistent length and square.

I did that loooong before their was anything called cowboy spl brass. I have about 3000/4000+/_ or so.

I made a jig that holds 10 empty case slightly long. I cut them off with a hacksaw and then use a case trimmer to finish. Then I deburr them, good to go.

Being doing this since about 1996/7.

That's the way it was done before C45S brass was available. While available, it would be hard to justify cutting back 45 Colt cases - even at a premium price. But it looks like we're back to making our own again.

Texas John Ringo, can you post a picture or give a description of your cutoff fixture?

I bought 1,000 and still working on the first 250. There well may be some in my estate sale.

Similar solution to Warden Cal. Except I use a case trimmer with a cordless 'lectric drill motor. Zips right thru em. I think the tubing cuter might be just

a little more time consuming than I'd like. Takes long enough using my powered cutter.

Making em from 45 Colt cases does leave the bullet end a little thick, but still very very useable. Makes a dandy cartridge for reduced smokeless and

BP loads.

Coffin maker

I have always found a trim die a really slow way to cut off cases. A drill powered case trimmer would be my choice.

Good luck,GJ

I found my small stash of c45s brass a couple of weeks ago and actually unpackaged one of my loaders and got it running. Now I need to get a few hundred rounds loaded up in time for the SE Regional. Loading these lil boogers for BP really goes pretty fast but my original hope of this being my main match caliber will probably never materialise due to problems associated with the brass, most primarily the amount being lost by the rifles. I tend to think that the .44Russian would be a more practical substitute for me IF I could find a pair of alternate 44spec cylinders for use in my 44/40 revolvers.

I may be shooting my 45 caliber Rugers more, and I like the 45 Cowboy Special. I have a limited supply, and they are not available as brass or loaded ammo.

The 45cs is available in loaded ammunition from Center Fire systems http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AM0145.aspx . It aint cheap though

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I found my small stash of c45s brass a couple of weeks ago and actually unpackaged one of my loaders and got it running. Now I need to get a few hundred rounds loaded up in time for the SE Regional. Loading these lil boogers for BP really goes pretty fast but my original hope of this being my main match caliber will probably never materialise due to problems associated with the brass, most primarily the amount being lost by the rifles. I tend to think that the .44Russian would be a more practical substitute for me IF I could find a pair of alternate 44spec cylinders for use in my 44/40 revolvers.

45 Schofield brass, BP & 160g bullet do very well and are very managable.

Brass & bullets are readily available.

I would shoot the above before going to the trouble of making 45CS brass

I make the same thing as C45S out of Schofield cases. Call it the .45 Squirt. Really handy cartridges. Full case of 2f APP, 160Gr bullet (rifles) or a Round Ball crimp'd at the equator. Round Ball load is super nice.

Coffinmaker

Archived