SASS Wire Forum

IS IT ADVISABLE TO SHOOT....

Cat Brules

I have Colt-type Model P clones, chambered in:

Uberti - .357 Magnum, and

USFA - .38 Special

Does anyone have experience in firing magnum or +P loads in these firearms? Seems to me they may not hold up to these heavier loads. I don't mean they would fail catastrophically, but that they might stress-stretch or loosen up, become sloppy and begin to experience timing issues, etc.

Anyone experienced with issues related to firing heavy loads in these revolvers?

Thanks,

- Cat Brules -

+P & +P+ are intended for use in the firearms designed for them. Any gun not designed to shoot these higher pressure rounds may fail catastrophically. Not the best idea.

CR

I

+P & +P+ are intended for use in the firearms designed for them. Any gun not designed to shoot these higher pressure rounds may fail catastrophically. Not the best idea.

CR

Well, yeah, designed for the round. USFA did have Uberti make their parts at one time, but who knows? On the other hand, I'm wondering then, if the Uberti revolvers, being chambered for .357 Mag will reliably handle +P .38 Special factory loads without stretching out over time. I guess by inference, yes, they'll handle it, but I'll err on the side of caution and go with no.

So, never mind.

I

Well, yeah, designed for the round. USFA did have Uberti make their parts at one time, but who knows? On the other hand, I'm wondering then, if the Uberti revolvers, being chambered for .357 Mag will reliably handle +P .38 Special factory loads without stretching out over time. I guess by inference, yes, they'll handle it, but I'll err on the side of caution and go with no.

So, never mind.

38+P loads are lower pressure than most 357mag loads so it should be an issue.

If I were offering advice, it would be no.

If I were shooting my own .38 Special Colt clone gun, I would look at how much additional steel is around that chamber (versus a .44 or .45 gun) and use +P in the gun only for self defense. There is no logical reason to use +P for smacking steel, punching paper or kncking over plinking targets.

My opinion is not worth $.02, but it is mine.

I have a USFA convertible with both 357 and 9mm cylinders. Several years ago some underling sent out an e-mail stating that USFA was a fixin' to come out with said gun and were taking orders for it at $995. I was on it like a duck on june bug. The e-mail was in error as it should have said the gun was to be a 38 spcl/9mm convertible. USFA had never before put out a 357 single action. Instead of sending a new e-mail explaining the mistake el presidente decided to go ahead and make the 357/9mm. I had it shipped thru Long Hunter who was the number one seller of USFAs at the time. He added his action job and the gun was one of my main match guns with the 9mm cylinder. Fine gun. I would not hesitate to shoot mid range 357s like the Winchester Silvertip or any 38 plus P or 9mm plus P out of it. No problem. It is for sale but is not cheap being such a rare collector's item

Any modern gun chambered in . 357 Mag will handle .38 P+ loads ...

Some of the light weight guns will make you wish you had stuck to standard .38s ,, Recoil...

Deringers come to mind....

Jabez Cowboy

I have of late been shooting the soup out of one of the wife's Uberti .357's...no wait...that didn't sound right. I only have one wife. I'll try again...

I have of late been shooting the soup out one of the two Uberti Hombre's that belongs to my wife. 167 gr. bullets loaded to 1200+ fps. There are a bunch of 180 gr. bullets sized and lubed that will be loaded and shot tomorrow. I have no doubt the revolver will stand up to the loads. The USFA's that I've owned, all American made, were very well made, stout revolvers.

I've never understood the "...should I shoot the loads out of my rifle/revolver for which it was chambered?" threads. Why not?? Nothing is going to "stretch" on the revolver. The weak link will be the cylinder bushing, which might shorten over time (easy fix/replacement) and the base pin which will peen a little where it contacts the base pin nut (been there done that on a couple of .44 Specials and a couple of 45 Colts). Again, an easy fix with a new, harder base pin.

CHT

I have Colt-type Model P clones, chambered in:

Uberti - .357 Magnum, and

USFA - .38 Special

Does anyone have experience in firing magnum or +P loads in these firearms? Seems to me they may not hold up to these heavier loads. I don't mean they would fail catastrophically, but that they might stress-stretch or loosen up, become sloppy and begin to experience timing issues, etc.

Anyone experienced with issues related to firing heavy loads in these revolvers?

Thanks,

- Cat Brules -

I have shot a rental SAA clone with 357 Magnum FMJ and both me and the gun survived AFAIK unscathed. However, I spoke with customer service at Taylor & Co recently and they recommended against both FMJ and Magnum loads in clones as the guns were not designed for that.

Correct. They recommended against using 357 Magnum, anything +P, or unjacketed.

I am no lawyer but this sounds like Uberti has a loose cannon distributor. Some high testosterone macho man will load his gun with only 180 grain hardcast 1400 fps hunting loads. Eventually the cylinder will fail when the idiot is not wearing safety glasses. The tort lawyer he hires will search all the firearms forms and find posts that mention Taylors advises against loading with 357 let alone 38+P. I have a S&W model 66 and would not feed it a continuous diet of standard velocity 357 cartridges if I shot it more than I do.

Any .357 revolver will shoot .357s safely. As for .38+P and +P+, the .38special has a maximum pressure of something like 25,000psi. A standard 158gr. load is something like 10,000psi. A +P is something like 15,000. A +P+ is something like 20,000psi. ALL of them are under the maximum rating of the cylinder.

Some years ago, "Guns and Ammo" performed separate tests on S&W Chiefs Special and Taurus Lightweight 85s.

They fired something like 25,000 rounds of +P+ ammo through each gun. NO FAILURES.

I think you're safe.

By the way, during the tests, the shooters had more problem with recoil than anything else, because of the sheer round count. The found some Pachmeyer grips for the guns so that they could continue.

I might not be exact on the pressures, but the basic idea is accurate.

Some folks just confuse me with their logic. I worked as a CAS Gunsmith for over 16 years then got to retire. I'm with Nate Kiowa Jones. Uberti 38/357

SAs were designed and engineered to run full house 357s. they passed Italian Proof for 357. Heavy mother proof rounds too.

38 +P and +P+ both generate LESS pressure and velocity than your average garden variety factory 357 JHP. Stretch?? I suggest a little stretching

before and after your shoot, but the GUN is NOT going to stretch. Your not going to shoot enough 357 to batter the cylinder bushing either.

Now the caveat. Like a 357, 38 +P and +P+ generate a bunch more recoil than dish water .38 Special does. You may well not like that.

There is no valid mechanical issue to preclude shooting 38 +P or +P+ it just may not be lots of fun.

Coffinmaker

Not a gunsmith, but gotta agree with NKJ & Colorado Coffinmaker. However, will add that the .38Special chambered USFA means that it has the shorter 38 Special chamber... and while +P loads might not damage the gun... they will generate some pressure in excess of that amount the same load will generate in the roomier .357 chamber. "Might" is not a good enough safety margin in my book.

Archived