SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Question

Lt John Dunbar

Hi Everyone, from newbie Lt. John Dunbar.

Brand new to CAS and SASS and everything about it. Just received by
USPS today, my badge, certificate, etc. Very excited about getting into this!

I have a Rossi 92 20 inch 357, so ok on that. I need revolvers and a shotgun. My current collection does not qualify.

After a lot of research I'm thinking about a pair of Ruger Blackhawks 4 5/8 (convertible to 9mm) , and Cimarron 1878 hammered 12 gauge coach shotgun. [Note: At this time, budgetary considerations are very important.]

Any reason why I should, or should not, go along these trails?

Thanks!

JJD

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should go to a few matches first. You will most likely to get to try out a LOT of options and may even find a good deal on some guns.

If I were going to buy Rugers I'd get Vaqueros instead of Blackhawks.

Quick draws around here. I had just written what Tyrel wrote when a notice came up on the screen.

He speaks truth. Many Many dollars are wasted on guns that are usable but not the best for what you want to do. Try before you buy.

There are a ton of clubs in Illinois.

Welcome aboard, Looey! :)

What those other guys said...! (Except for the part about Blackhawks ~ I love mine!) ^_^

Now... with THAT said, hey, whatever makes it fun for you is the most important thing. ;)

Now, if ya head over to the Wire and ask this, you'll start a four-page spirited discussion on why you HAVE to have this or that particular gun or boots or spurs or brand of mustache wax or color of underoos...! :lol:

Ah, Hardpan, I see what you're talkin' about. I didn't know I was in the bar. :P I'll try going down Main Street and see what everyone has to say......I guess

I agree with all the previous post. My first revolvers for SASS were used, I still have them. As time and finances change you'll find what you like and go with those and it will also depend on what category you finally settle on as some have specific requirements. Best advise is do what the wise souls above have suggested in try out options 1st. There are plenty of cowboys/cowgirls who will let you try their's to help you decide then go with what you like & works best for you. Welcome to SASS & have fun.

Charlie

Welcome to the campfire, Pard!

The only thing against those convertable Blackhawks MIGHT be restrictions against the adjustable sights in A FEW SASS catagories. Of course, if you can get a good deal on those convertibles, and have a companion 9mm auto, and want compatability with your SASS sixguns, that would certainly be in favor of those. Ignoring the 9mm factor, and if you just have to shoot in one of the fixed-sight-only catagories, a pair of .357 Magnum Ruger New Vaqueros would be just the thing. (Of course, you'll hear that Ol' Trailrider prefers .44-40's. But that's just 'cause I'm an ol' reprobate! ;) )

As to the shotgun, that ain't a bad choice!

Thanks, Trailrider!

Yes, I have a pair of 9mm pistols plus a 9mm carbine, so thinking I should leverage those. And 9mm factory is about 1/3 cheaper than .38 special now, so practice ammo is a factor. Down the road, the Vaqueros may be the goal.

Just a few things. 9mm or any caliber jacketed loads are prohibited. Lead bullets only.

The advice to go to a match or two is the best advice we can give. Many pards have chomped at the bit and leaped before looking. They ended up with equipment that either did not suit them or was not as competitive as they wanted.

The good thing about this group is that if you show up to a shoot as a new member, people will show you guns, leather, ammo, clothes and everything under the sun. They will almost always insist you try out their firearms. We tend to be proud of our toys. Much better than just going to a gun shop. ;)

And welcome to the fun.

You mean we've got a green horn LT in the Saloon? Dang officers keep poppin' up left and right and we've got to wet nurse them. Well LT if you pull up a chair and buy my a drink, I just might educate you on the ways of the Saloon. BTW, have you ever thought about naked senior citizen cowboy action shooting?

(Welcome to Saloon. You'll find I am one of the few sane ones on here.)

Ok. BS, here's your drink, and I'm ready for education in the ways of the Saloon. And the answer to your 2nd question is.....No, I haven't!

Glad to know I met one sane cowboy!

Didn't they do away with "Modern"?

If so, Blackhawks or Vaqueros - ain't no difference. Now, he would not be able to use 'em in Classic, but then, he couldn't use that 92 either, and 357s are too small.

So what's the diff, whether Blackhawk or Vaquero?

Glad to know I met one sane cowboy!

Utah chuckles and heads for the door of the Saloon.

"Sane", he laughs. "He'll find out".

The street is quiet outside. Faint tinkling of spurs mix with the tinny notes of the shot up piano.

Yup. It's quiet.......for now.

You do have a mighty fine alias! For your first match, I'd recommend attending one at a senior citizens naturalist community. They aren't all wrapped up in costume requirements like some folks are. You can contact Allie Moe about attending one. For Pete's sake, don't buy anything until you attend a match or two and try out other folk's gear. Check out this blog for some great info:

http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

Don't you pay any attention to that Utah Bob fella. He's a mighty strange one

I know I've spent a lot of time among the wolves, but why.......why.......do you guys want me to get so sun-burned? And I don't feel old!

Sorry, Cisco tripped as we were riding along in the dark tonight. It's Fort Sedgwick. I can spell the name of my own fort, especially if my horse doesn't mess up. and Thanks, Diamond Curly.

Do you watch "Longmire"? Have you heard the cast of "Glee" will be joining now that it is on Netflix?

That's it! Bottles, cut him off!! He's had enough!

Picking a catagory and having the guns to shoot it keeps people buying and selling guns. I had a wonderful 73 in .357 that I traded off when I switched to "B" Western" and couldn't use the 73. Bought a Marlin and although it's a great gun I do wish I had the 73 back. Welcome to the insanity. getting all the stuff together is no more difficult than deciding if you are driving down the street in your boat and a wing falls off how many watermelons will it take to shingle a doghouse.

Bugs Bonney

Buggs Boney

Welcome to the insanity. getting all the stuff together is no more difficult than deciding if you are driving down the street in your boat and a wing falls off how many watermelons will it take to shingle a doghouse.

You're so right. BTW, the answer re doghouse is simple:

take the afferadical of the average melon, and multiply by the microcoefficiental numomber of the square footage of the doghouse. Done!

Hi Everyone, from newbie Lt. John Dunbar.

Brand new to CAS and SASS and everything about it. Just received by

USPS today, my badge, certificate, etc. Very excited about getting into this!

I have a Rossi 92 20 inch 357, so ok on that. I need revolvers and a shotgun. My current collection does not qualify.

After a lot of research I'm thinking about a pair of Ruger Blackhawks 4 5/8 (convertible to 9mm) , and Cimarron 1878 hammered 12 gauge coach shotgun. [Note: At this time, budgetary considerations are very important.]

Any reason why I should, or should not, go along these trails?

Thanks!

JJD

What is of real importance is whether you prefer a 1911 or a Glock.

I don't want to own any defensive weapon whose name sounds like the last sound of a dying man.

Like "Gllllllll.....ooocccccccc.........kkkkkk..............."

No one ever died saying "Nineteen....Eleven."

Just sayin'...............................

Welcome!

I don't have any input beyond what has been said above, but figured I should at least be friendly.

A certain Birdgun Quail will ask you eventually the really important question, your thoughts on a Baptist Category. No, I don't know what it means either, after all these years. I just act like my tinnitus from my years in the artillery is acting up and smile and have another drink.

Well, DocWard, I'll work on that. My thoughts on a Baptist Category.....hmmmmm..... That is something I've spent years thinking about, but my thoughts are still a few years from publication, if ever.

And BTW, does your tinnitus come and go? Occasionally----very occasionally--- I get unexpected relief, and I've never figured out why. But when it happens, those few hours are golden.......

Well, by golly, everyone should think about a SASS approving a Baptist Category. So my first advice for a new CAS shooter is don't get a cross draw rig. With cross draw rigs, you have to do the....uh....well...."the Dance." NO DANCING IS ALLOWED IN THE BAPTIST CATEGORY!

Now don't you agree that SASS should approve a Baptist Category?

After that, as mentioned before, you can't go wrong by looking at:

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Well, by golly, everyone should think about a SASS approving a Baptist Category. So my first advice for a new CAS shooter is don't get a cross draw rig. With cross draw rigs, you have to do the....uh....well...."the Dance." NO DANCING IS ALLOWED IN THE BAPTIST CATEGORY!

Now don't you agree that SASS should approve a Baptist Category?

After that, as mentioned before, you can't go wrong by looking at:

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Well, Pardner, alls I can say is Your Link Don't Work. Sorry, lemme know if you got more.

Archived