SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Question

Lt John Dunbar

Well, Pardner, alls I can say is Your Link Don't Work. Sorry, lemme know if you got more.

Well that's not good. Try Googling "Getting started in CAS" and go to the very first link.

www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.htm

https://www.google.com/#q=getting+started+in+cas

By the way (BTW), I followed the good Captain's advice and I'm still using the same guns, same leather, same gun cart, that I started with 10 years ago. But I consider myself still a newbie. Also using the same hat, boots, shirt, and pants. I did change from Duelist to Senior Duelist. But when the Baptist Category is approved.... ^_^

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, yeah, that pointed me to a wealth of valuable information, many sites, thank you!

Interesting that you still consider yourself a newbie. Probably a good lesson in there for all of us.

Thanks again.

JJD

Another bit a friendly advice. Never, I say, NEVER, on this forum refer to you guns as "WEAPONS." There are a few folks here (not me) that get just a little too prickly when guns are referred to as "weapons."

Another bit a friendly advice. Never, I say, NEVER, on this forum refer to you guns as "WEAPONS." There are a few folks here (not me) that get just a little too prickly when guns are referred to as "weapons."

He was referring to a Glock as a defensive weapon. That's perfectly okay imo.

He was referring to a Glock as a defensive weapon. That's perfectly okay imo.

UB, that's not what I was referring to. :huh: Honest. :blush: I was referring to older posts when someone new to CAS referred to their CAS guns as weapons and were castigated for it. And to me, referring to CAS guns as weapons is perfectly okay imo. Others get prickly about it.

Well, DocWard, I'll work on that. My thoughts on a Baptist Category.....hmmmmm..... That is something I've spent years thinking about, but my thoughts are still a few years from publication, if ever.

And BTW, does your tinnitus come and go? Occasionally----very occasionally--- I get unexpected relief, and I've never figured out why. But when it happens, those few hours are golden.......

My hearing actually isn't all that bad, considering. Left ear is "OK" while the right ear is OK except for one particular range which is quite bad. During the last five years or so of my military career I had at least half a dozen hearing tests. The tech would always look at the results and say "Huh, that's unusual!" Or something to that effect. As for the tinnitus, it usually isn't a problem. On occasion it will keep me awake at night.

UB, that's not what I was referring to. :huh: Honest. :blush: I was referring to older posts when someone new to CAS referred to their CAS guns as weapons and were castigated for it. And to me, referring to CAS guns as weapons is perfectly okay imo. Others get prickly about it.

My error. I thought you were referring to the El Tee's post. I'll give myself extra demerits and walk a punishment tour when my M1 comes in. ;)

You do have a mighty fine alias! For your first match, I'd recommend attending one at a senior citizens naturalist community. They aren't all wrapped up in costume requirements like some folks are. You can contact Allie Moe about attending one. For Pete's sake, don't buy anything until you attend a match or two and try out other folk's gear. Check out this blog for some great info:

http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

Don't you pay any attention to that Utah Bob fella. He's a mighty strange one

What?

BTW, that is Allie Mo (no E)

My error. I thought you were referring to the El Tee's post. I'll give myself extra demerits and walk a punishment tour when my M1 comes in. ;)

;)^_^ I expect nothing less! Make sure you hold your M1 over your head with both hands during your walk. And never, I mean NEVER, call your weapon a "GUN"!!! :o;):P^_^

Boy, has this word "weapon" caused a lot of consternation here. In the Army, calling your rifle a "gun" gets a soldier, especially a recruit, into all sorts of aggravation. :huh: Here on the 'Oh So Serious SASS Wire Saloon,' calling our CAS guns "weapons" gets a participant into all sorts of aggravations! :D

So, to all participants and administrators here, please accept my deeply sincere apology for even bringing up the so offensive words of "weapon" and "gun." I promise to never mentions either word again...especially the "W" word. :lol::lol::lol:

Regards,

Birdg*n Quail

This my rifle, this is my gun............ :D

What are they going to use in the Baptist Category?

Bibles! In the Baptist Category we will use Bible for Thumping...especially those pesky hard knockdown targets...and some backsliders too! :lol:

LT Dunbar, see how easy it is here on the SASS Wire Saloon to have a thread hijacked and changed completely from it's original intent.

So to get back to where this thread started. LT, welcome to the fire and to the SASS family. It's a hoot!! :D:D

Bibles! In the Baptist Category we will use Bible for Thumping...especially those pesky hard knockdown targets...and some backsliders too![/colors] :lol:

I can't help everyone gets there before I do and takes the front pews!

Ya think the hogs , may have got him ?

:huh:

Butter Bars , have lots to learn don'tyaknow

CB :P

Somebody gave him a compass?

Somebody gave him a compass?

Very dangerous.

I forgot what I wanted to say!

Oh yeah, welcome to SASS, LT.

Your sure in for alotta fun.

I was introduced the right way. Taken to a match, and given a lot of opinions, instructions, tried out few gonnes, and treated like instant family. Actually felt more comfortable than with my real family. I was already a "gonne" addict so it was no surprise that I quickly accumalated a good inventory. I now have terribble shooting eye, but can still hit a target. If your in my neck of the woods some day, my "gonnes" are available. Cowboy Up, and welcome!

Just don't shoot them whimpy .38s. Get some real shootin' irons.

Real Shootin' irons start with a .4 in the caliber. :D

+1

and if your gonna do that go ahead and shoot REAL gunpowder; as in Goex FFg :D

Now, now. Remember, burning a Second Louie is the next thing to child abuse.

It builds character. ;)

Besides, from what I can see of his shoulder straps, looks like Dunbar was a 1st Lt.

The LT had to go out on a mission, but is back! Thanks, everyone, for all the welcomes! And I certainly enjoy spirited discussions!

BTW, I do get the "weapon" thing.

Folks (and I don't mean you folks) can get mighty wound up about certain words (oh no, "trigger words"......argghh!) and then they can really twist things around. So it is something to be cognizant about. Point well taken.

JJD

Firearms... They're firearms...

"Firearm" always works.

At least word-wise, and hopefully, they also always work when you need them!

Archived