SASS Wire Forum

A mountain man movie being filmed west of Calgary

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

An FYI for those who are also into the Muzzle loading era. They are making a 1820s mountain man movie west of Calgary, staring Tom Hardy and Leonardo DiCaprio. The Leonardo character sets out on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead after a bear mauling. They showed a portion of the set on the local news channel. It showed a log fort in the background with a couple of tipis (tee pees) in the foreground. Same area as was the town site for Costner's Open range.

Sounds like another go at the Hugh Glass story.

"Wot wuz food...?"

"Gophers!"

Remake of "Man in the Wilderness"? And it was certainly based on Hugh Glass and a young Jim Bridger being spooked into leaving him for dead by another trapper. I will watch it. DiCaprio has his moments. We will just have to wait and see.

I am at most ambivalent 'bout ol' Leo... and honestly couldn't name a single thing he's been in... wait, was he in Titanic?

But curious why he seems to be roundly disliked. Evidently I missed something - can somebody enlighten me so I can dislike 'im too? :)

Come to think of it just bein' one of those Hollytwig sorts might just qualify.

I am at most ambivalent 'bout ol' Leo... and honestly couldn't name a single thing he's been in... wait, was he in Titanic?

But curious why he seems to be roundly disliked. Evidently I missed something - can somebody enlighten me so I can dislike 'im too? :)

He was in "The quick and the dead." I think...

When I think of manly actors, he's near dead last on the list. Not the sort of guy I imagine surviving an episode with a bear that left bone exposed, then walking over 100 miles with those injuries and fighting wolves off for the carcase of a dead calf buffalo.

That's the only reason I'm not sure about him as Hugh Glass.

When he was starting to become well known he was kind of seen as a pretty boy, and his role in Titanic didn't help. But I think he's a competent actor in spite of that. (Better than many who get by on looks.) He doesn't seem to be too choosy about what jobs he takes but a guy's got to eat, right?

Didn't Robert Redford have to fight off wolves for a carcass in his mountain man movie, Jerimiah Johnson? That wasn't too bad of a movie. I'm not a big Leo fan either, but at least it isn't Johnny Depp. That guy is just strange.

I had a so-so view of DiCaprio and his pretty boy portrayals were reason for me to pass on his movies. For me, he still has a rather two-dimensional presence and a seeming inability to break out into an actor that can disappear into a role. Having said that, I'd say he certainly is a serious professional...a well established actor who, given the right vehicle, shines. I think he should pick his projects more carefully. But then, what do I know??? :-) He works all the time and is much in demand. DiCaprio did a film with Russel Crowe and released in 2008 called "Body of Lies," which I thought was very good. Good enough that I've watched it several times. (Find it at the library!) Anyway, I intend to see this new film because of the topic. Too bad it's a remake, because in my mind that gives it 1-1/2 strikes to start with, but let's see!! :-)

I had a so-so view of DiCaprio and his pretty boy portrayals were reason for me to pass on his movies. For me, he still has a rather two-dimensional presence and a seeming inability to break out into an actor that can disappear into a role. Having said that, I'd say he certainly is a serious professional...a well established actor who, given the right vehicle, shines. I think he should pick his projects more carefully. But then, what do I know??? :-) He works all the time and is much in demand. DiCaprio did a film with Russel Crowe and released in 2008 called "Body of Lies," which I thought was very good. Good enough that I've watched it several times. (Find it at the library!) Anyway, I intend to see this new film because of the topic. Too bad it's a remake, because in my mind that gives it 1-1/2 strikes to start with, but let's see!! :-)

I also thought he also did a pretty good job in Blood Diamond.

He appears to have a better group of handlers than Liam Neeson or is simply smarter about avoiding the taste of shoe leather. He also appears to have gotten better roles and become a better actor over the years, rare enough in Hollywierd.

My 2¢

I also thought he also did a pretty good job in Blood Diamond.

The movie was well played in my opinion, but poorly directed and was somewhat boring. The last nail in that box was the "yeah, yeah, yeah" political message we as an audience, were force-fed regarding the bad capitalist (and Jews, most if them) diamond merchants.

My opinion is: Okay, let Hollywood feed that stuff to the highly-educated-Stepford-spokespeople for the White House who regurgitate meaningless tripe that they are at a loss to explain.

Thats important to me for several reasons. I'm old enough to have watched every Stooge, Harold Lloyd, Keystone Cop film there ever was but I hadn't seen that one!!!! I can't believe it. Secondly, it is a must see film to demonstrate "how to completely violate every gun safety rule there ever was"!!!!! :wacko: Finally, I didn't know my 97 could be loaded with hot dogs!!! :D

Thats important to me for several reasons. I'm old enough to have watched every Stooge, Harold Lloyd, Keystone Cop film there ever was but I hadn't seen that one!!!! I can't believe it. Secondly, it is a must see film to demonstrate "how to completely violate every gun safety rule there ever was"!!!!! :wacko: Finally, I didn't know my 97 could be loaded with hot dogs!!! :D

N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk...OWW!!!!

HOWDY ALL, DUSTED OFF MY BUCKSKINS AND CLEANED MY FLINTLOCK, WHERE DO I APPLY FOR AN EXTRA? LOL

ENG

According to the casting call, to be considered as an extra, one must have a mountain man look with beard and long hair.

Archived