SASS Wire Forum

Wind and the Lion

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

Capt. Jerome, USMC: Captain Jerome, United States Marine Corps, and you are my prisoner, sir.

The Bashaw of Tangier: You are a very dangerous man, Captain, and your President Roosevelt is mad.

Capt. Jerome, USMC : (saluting) Yes, sir!

(trivia:

Looking back at his filmography, it isn't difficult to imagine Vladek Sheybal in a scene, lobbing Molotov cocktails at advancing German troops, against a backdrop of war-torn Warsaw. However, this part of his life played out for real. A member of the Polish underground, he was twice captured and interred in concentration camps. Both times he escaped.

"

I always call my wife Mrs Pedakaris. Because she is a lot of trouble. :D

One of the little bits of business that I like in that movie is when James Bond is going on about an Arab boy getting a rifle as he becomes a man, and how you can tell a lot about a man by his rifle, and then he asks Charlie McCarthy's big sister, "And what kind of rifle does your President Roosevelt carry?"

And she snaps back, "He carries a WINCHESTER!!"

First time i saw that movie, Slick Willie was President. I was thinking, "Couldn't answer that question today."

If I remember correctly, it was Ion Perdicaris and Cromwell Varley who were kidnapped. Neither of them were US citizens. Also, there was no battle with German forces.

The Raisuli

Raisuli.JPG

Ion Perdicaris

perdicaris.gif

Even more so after she reads this post- :lol::lol:

:ph34r:

OLG

Har! She only reads my Facebook page.And I'm very careful there. ;)

The Great Race raised a question. Why are there no longer any pretty leading men?

Definitions of pretty change.

Nowadays it seems to be a three day growth of stubble and lots of tats. :huh:

"Mrs. Pedicaris, you are a lot of trouble"

She hears this from me frequently.

Fortunately, she laughs.

So far.

;)

Saw that today.

One of our favorites.

One of the best bar fights ever filmed and the best bakery fight on film.

And no shaving cream fake pies either. Over 300 real pies. Cherry, apple, blueberry, lemon. :)

I saw that movie too....saw the trench shotguns. What kind of pistol was the German officer shooting toward the end of the movie in the battle scene in the town...looked like it had some kind of box shape?

I saw that movie too....saw the trench shotguns. What kind of pistol was the German officer shooting toward the end of the movie in the battle scene in the town...looked like it had some kind of box shape?

I believe that is a C96 Broomhandle Mauser.

Yup.

Guns of The Wind and the Lion

C96.jpg

I really liked the opening scene when the Brit was shooting the Arabs off their horses, ran out of ammo got a click and looked at the revolver and said "Damn" just before getting cut down.

I really liked the opening scene when the Brit was shooting the Arabs off their horses, ran out of ammo got a click and looked at the revolver and said "Damn" just before getting cut down.

totally unrelated... but Steve Canaly, who played the overly enthusiastic Marine Capt. Jerome, served with the 1st Cav in Vietnam.

Thomas Jefferson

Battle of Derne

Wasn't Jefferson the president who started the US paying tribute to the Barbary Pirates?? I think it was something close to 20% of our budget.

Wasn't Jefferson the president who started the US paying tribute to the Barbary Pirates?? I think it was something close to 20% of our budget.

Jefferson argued in the 1790s against paying any tribute, then, when he became president in 1801, put a stop to the payments.

Immediately prior to Jefferson's inauguration in 1801, Congress passed naval legislation that, among other things, provided for six frigates that 'shall be officered and manned as the President of the United States may direct.' ... In the event of a declaration of war on the United States by the Barbary powers, these ships were to 'protect our commerce & chastise their insolence—by sinking, burning or destroying their ships & Vessels wherever you shall find them.'"[24] On Jefferson's inauguration as president in 1801, Yusuf Karamanli, the Pasha (or Bashaw) of Tripoli, demanded $225,000 from the new administration. (In 1800, Federal revenues totaled a little over $10 million.) Putting his long-held beliefs into practice, Jefferson refused the demand. Consequently, on 10 May 1801, the Pasha declared war on the U.S., not through any formal written documents but in the customary Barbary manner of cutting down the flagstaff in front of the U.S. Consulate.[25] Algiers and Tunis did not follow their ally in Tripoli.

Alas, the world has changed much since the days of wooden ships and iron men.

totally unrelated... but Steve Canaly, who played the overly enthusiastic Marine Capt. Jerome, served with the 1st Cav in Vietnam.

Also played Ray Krebbs, the range hand on the TV show "Dallas."

Archived