SASS Wire Forum

The Bridge Always Wins

Subdeacon Joe

Coming out of Alabama into Tennessee on US 72, there is a low underpass. A hundred feet or so before it they have cowbells hanging from a wire. If you ring a bell you can't go under the bridge. Low tech, but it works .

Several of those were from Kansas City :lol: Was just a short ways from my district, only had to work one. It was tough, had to hold my breath and turn blue to keep from laughing. The driver was not very happy about the entire situation even though I did not give him a ticket for being stupid. ;)

Know as the worlds toughest bridge, this underpass is located in Durham NC. The Rail Road installed a massive I beam to protect the train trestle from impact. The warning signs start a full 3 blocks from the bridge and height monitors at all three intersections before the bridge. There are also signs directing truck traffic to an alternate route that bypasses the bridge.

Because of city utilities the road cannot be lowered and the rail road is a major line with a lot of traffic so the cost of raising the bridge too great. The bridge is exempt from current federal clearance requirements because it has been there long before there were any regulations.

I find it interesting how many people that pull RVs have no idea exactly how tall their rigs actually are. IIRC most RVs and bobtail trucks are right at 12 feet.

Reminds me of the WDOT fiasco over on I 405, the major spur around downtown Seattle. They have spent mega bucks working over there and decided they needed an overpass. When they got it all done and were ready to open the roadway, they discoverd that the bridge/overpass was too low. Solution, tear up the concrete and dig a little deeper.

And then there is the story about the tunnel that they had to have along the water front in Downtown Seattle. Big Bertha, the tunnel machine, is broken down and can not be put into reverse. They started to dig her out, but the ground started to shift and now they say it will be 2017 before Bertha can see the light of day. Makes one wonder how safe that tunnel will be, right next to the Sound, and all of the Engineer marvels it has exposed.

The bridge doesn't always win, although it usually gives more lumps than it takes.

Some clone was driving a dump truck over the Burlington Skyway near Hamilton, Ontario last year. The Skyway is the major route between the Buffalo border crossings and Toronto, so it's heavily traveled by trucks. Anyway. Our Hero pops up the dump bed as he's climbing the approach to the bridge and plows it right into the overhead support structure. They had to close the northbound side of the bridge for 4 or 5 days to inspect it and make temporary repairs. Full repairs took several months.

A couple of weeks before Christmas, I was attempting to leave the local mall. It was damp so I parked in the parking structure. As I walked towards my car, a mall security guard approached and asked how I was doing. "Fine" I responded, "just going home". As I got closer to my car, I was approached by a city police officer with the same question. He then asked me which car was mine. I pointed at my car and said that one. It was at that point I saw the problem. A Loomis Armored truck misjudged the height inside the parking garage and was stuck near the exit. Unfortunately, he was right behind my car. It took two mall security officers, two city police and one of the Loomis guards to get me out of the parking structure. I will admit to laughing all the way home.

A couple of weeks before Christmas, I was attempting to leave the local mall. It was damp so I parked in the parking structure. As I walked towards my car, a mall security guard approached and asked how I was doing. "Fine" I responded, "just going home". As I got closer to my car, I was approached by a city police officer with the same question. He then asked me which car was mine. I pointed at my car and said that one. It was at that point I saw the problem. A Loomis Armored truck misjudged the height inside the parking garage and was stuck near the exit. Unfortunately, he was right behind my car. It took two mall security officers, two city police and one of the Loomis guards to get me out of the parking structure. I will admit to laughing all the way home.

How did he get in? Aren't all the entrances/exits the same, within an inch or so, height?

If he was stuck - top of the truck wedged in - they could have just let some air out of the tyres, he drives a few yards, then re-inflate them.

I delivered furniture for a couple of years after high school and during college. Going one day to a town northwest of Columbus and I'm sitting in the passenger seat when the driver slams on the brakes. There was an old underpass with an arched tunnel, and the sides of the arch were too low for our truck. He missed it by about five feet or so, and had a lot of traffic annoyed as we fought to turn around on that narrow road.

On another occasion, a low hanging branch in a residential neighborhood opened up a triangular section at the front right corner of the truck. Fortunately, it was a nice day, so we kept going after reporting it.

How did he get in? Aren't all the entrances/exits the same, within an inch or so, height?

If he was stuck - top of the truck wedged in - they could have just let some air out of the tyres, he drives a few yards, then re-inflate them.

He came in the main entrance where the height is considerably higher than the side. My guess is he tried to sneak out the side and didn't estimate his height quite well enough. As far as letting air out of the tires, I didn't want to hang around to see the results. That alone was more than enough comedy for one evening.

In Santa Paula Ca several years ago a heavy equipment hauler managed to put the arm of an excavator through the middle of an overpass. Road was sloped so it cleared the first girder only to hit the next. Excavator rocked back on the trailer and the knuckle in the center of the boom poked a hole in the road way above. Took a lot of work to get that excavator out from under the bridge. Seems the hold it made going up was not quite big enough to let it back out.

Many years ago I helped a buddy move. He'd rented a U-Haul box truck with the overhang ("Mom's Attic," they called it). New house had a very mature tree out front, and sure 'nuff, Bobbo crunched the starboard corner of "Mom's Attic" all to hell on a branch. He got out of the truck and gazed with dismay... "Damn. That's gonna cost me a BUCKETLOAD of bucks!" he proclaimed.

So, after unloading, I went with him to return the truck... along with a bale of moving blankets he'd also rented.

And sure 'nuff, one was missing. We'd accounted for all that were included, but we were one short - undoubtedly, they'd shorted him one when he rented the truck.

And sure 'nuff... the wizz-bang rental clerk was so excited about being able to charge Bobbo seven bucks for the "missing" blanket he never even inspected the truck and totally missed the crunched "Mom's Attic;" signed it in and gleefully took the $7 from Bob. :blink:

Sometimes the falling piano misses ya altogether. :)

Boston has some infamous ones.

Cop: got stuck under the bridge, eh?

Trucker: no, delivering. Where do you want it?

Great video!!

Mo is referring, I think, to the bridges over Storrow Drive. This road runs along the Charles River, and was built as a pleasure drive for Sunday perambulations after church. Several bridges pass overhead, carrying roads to Cambridge. Unfortunately for many truckers, on a map, it looks like a great way to avoid downtown traffic. Nope. Minimum clearance is 10 feet. Every entrance has BIG yellow, illuminated warning signs, with full "sweeps" overhead, to give early warnings; it doesn't matter. Some of the greatest accidents have included trucks loaded with eggs, live pigs, toilet paper, paint, and scissors (flattening car tires on dozens of passing cars). It is so famous around the start of the college season, when everyone from out of town is bringing their kids in with rental trucks, that the truck rental agencies have specific exclusions for any overhead damage on Storrow Drive.

LL

Archived