SASS Wire Forum

Traffic laws ?

Alpo

Is it illegal to drive on the roads with no door on your car?

Watching The Green Hornet serial, from 1940. Someone's in this old raggedy pickup, with no door on the passenger side. Seeing that got me to realizing that I don't think I've ever seen a car on the road with no doors.

I know that Jeep CJs seem to be okay, but they are made without doors. I'm thinking of cars that are supposed to have doors, but don't.

Never saw a statute or ordinance in my 42yrs in LEO that said you had to have doors. In MN you don't need a windshield either. (But if you do have one it cannot be cracked, chipped, or tinted beyond certain limits). Another "wives tale", is that it's illegal to drive barefooted. Heard that one a million times. It's stupid not to wear shoes, have doors or no windshiield but it's not illegal.

Watching The Green Hornet serial, from 1940. Someone's in this old raggedy pickup, with no door on the passenger side. Seeing that got me to realizing that I don't think I've ever seen a car on the road with no doors.

I know that Jeep CJs seem to be okay, but they are made without doors. I'm thinking of cars that are supposed to have doors, but don't.

Nut'n in the Ca. V.C.

OLG

Most every Jeep when sold new came with either half doors, hardtop doors or soft top doors. There are a few places that make half doors for Broncos, as well as a few other trucks. I have seen a lot of them around here, but rarely see anything other than a Jeep with no doors. Not sure about the legality.......so why did I even bother writing all of this?? LOL

You watch a lot of TV, don't you Alpo.

A friend of mine told a great story about his brother who had a car back in the 50's with no doors, front or back. He & his friends were rodding around in a State Park & were stopped by a Ranger in a suprlus WWII Jeep. He pointed out the danger of driving with no doors & threatened a ticket. The fellow pointed out the virtual lack of doors on the Ranger's own ride. No ticket ensued.

Seamus

I own a 1974 VW Thing, which has easily removable doors and roof, and a folding windscreen. There's a sticker on the car that suggests that it isn't safe to drive on highways without doors and with the windshield down. But, it's not illegal to do so.

If the vehicle was made without seat belts (which only became required in 1968), you don't have to install them, and can legally drive the car without wearing a seat belt. If the car has seat belts installed (even those built before 1968), most states require you to wear them or face a fine.

Always remember laws vary state-by-state, and sometimes county-by-county, and even city-by-city. Regarding Colorado law, there is no *clear* yes or no answer to your question. You could *probably* be cited under the "Unsafe Vehicle" statute, but it would be incumbent upon the prosecuting attorney to prove the various elements of the crime. It is a very generically worded statue and doesn't spell out "thou shalt not drive with a door missing from thy vehicle."

Gotta an neighbor was is LE and drives a hiked-up Jeep Cherokee with no doors. He said he wanted something to drive off-road and the Cherokee was much cheaper than a CJ. I have not seen him giving himself a ticket yet!!!

My guess is that NC does not require doors, nor brains, attention, insurance or fear of ticking me off to drive legally.

Archived