SASS Wire Forum

Difficulty

Noz

Why is it so hard to navigate, open or simply viie post on the Saloon and WIRE?

I sat for some minutes on occasion in an attempt to get the WIRE to open. It finally times out.

I have no problem with other forums or other sites.

It took three tries for me to get this feature on the Saloon to open, all WIRE attempts have failed.

I have noticed that, late at night (like around midnight/0100) the wire won't open for me. It times out. I just figgered they (they - that would the be wire IT guys) were doing maintenance, or whatever magic they needed to do to keep it running.

Don't happen other times of the day. And I know it's the wire, and not MY internet, since any other site I check opens right up.

Sometimes it is the Wire servers and sometimes it is the internet. Late night / early morning is when the server does its maintenance and it will be slow or nor respond at all. Othertimes it is bacause the internet its self is running slow.

The internet is a complex system and it impossible as an end user to know why a particular web page is slow to load at any given time of day or night.

Server maintenance occurs at the same time every night.

11pm Pacific time.

If it also does maintenance in the morning, I am not aware of it.

------------

If you are timing out then I would check your cookie settings.

Stop all third party cookies.

Also delete them from the cookie list.

Every time you log on to the SASS forum several cookies are placed on your machine.

Even with the Third Party cookies turned off.

When deleting cookies you will learn which SASS cookie is your log in information, you may not want to delete that one unless you don't mind logging in in every time.

Third party cookies are cookies that are from one party and send information about your browsing back to a third party and not necessarily the party the cookie claims to be from.

They can live on your machine for ever of you can choose how long they are there.

Best to not accept them in the first place.

For years of using computers, I have just learned to delete cookies just before turning off my browser.

It's just my routine.

If you have never cleared cookies, go in and look at them.

You will be amazed at how many are there and each and everyone of them is sending information home when you are online.

The more cookies, the slower you machine becomes while the cookies do their sending.

Last time I actually checked the SASS forum, (several years back) the forum was placing as many as 27 third party cookies on my machine ever time I logged in.

That was reduced to 11...I just looked. These 11 cookies are not third party and I have no problem with them being added to my machine.

I will delete them when I get ready to log off along with several others that are not holding login information to other sights.

After deleting unwanted cookies, I have a total of seven remaining.

Another one I make sure to delete.. Facebook.

Facebook cookie keeps track of all your online moves as long as the Facebook cookie is there.

whether you are on Facebook or not.

Delete it and Facebook is not following your every move.

This does mean you have to log in every time you want to go on Facebook.

Those with smart phones can see this by the way your Facebook tiles and other tiles keep up dating all day long even when you're not on Facebook.

Facebook is basically a 24 hour a day personal tracker.

An no, I do not own a smart phone. (I do have a cell phone that is only a phone)

I have a desk top computer and have no need for a smart phone in my pocket all day long.

Checking e-mail several times a day consumes more than enough of my time.

All cookies were cleared when the problem began. I have a facebook account because my G-daughters thought I should. I haven't opened it for months.

When I opened this time it opened in about 3 seconds. When I posted the question it had taken several tries and probably 90 seconds on the successful attempt.

All other sites open normally.

and Yes, it has been pointed out that I am not the favorite son on the WIRE.

All cookies were cleared when the problem began. I have a facebook account because my G-daughters thought I should. I haven't opened it for months.

When I opened this time it opened in about 3 seconds. When I posted the question it had taken several tries and probably 90 seconds on the successful attempt.

All other sites open normally.

and Yes, it has been pointed out that I am not the favorite son on the WIRE.

Is anyone?

Let's see.... The Wire won't let Lumpy have friends and is resisting Noz's logon...

IT'S ALIVE!! .... and getting personal :o:ph34r:

Who among us is Next?!?

Send a wheelbarrow load of cash to your internet provider and have them up the connection speed. Might not help you, but it'll sure make them happy.

It's opening fine today but last evening was impossible.

The SASS software is fairly buggy. I often get error calls that, if I accept them as legitimate, will have me reposting a topic. Then I wind up with a double-tap.

Also, yeah, sometimes pages don't load at all, then, going back a couple minutes later, no problem. I think it's mostly dated hardware and software from wherever/whoever is hosting SASS's business. Could be something simple, too, such as daily uploads and updates taking up allowable bandwidth, with the Forums being a fourth priority. Just speculation.

Archived