SASS Wire Forum

Walmart Invasion in Small Town

Big Sarge

Pards, I think my town is under attack from Walmart. My town has 34,500 some odd residents. Currently, we have 2 big superstores open 24 hours a day. Today it was announced we are getting 3 Walmart Expresses. Our local businesses are in an uproar, but I think the town is all googledy-eyed with thoughts of sales tax. All I can say is it looks like I need to learn to speak Chinese, since imported goods will be all that can be found around here. Oh well, goodbye local business owners, it was nice knowing you.

they don't sell any more imported goods than the other big box stores do.

aren't Expresses grocery stores?

Dang that Walmart. Who do they think they are moving in and selling inexpensive stuff that lots of folks want to buy? They must have forced millions of people to go there regularly to make as much money as they have. If not for them lots of Americans could get well paying jobs sewing shirts and making shoes instead of shipping those quality jobs overseas. Of course prices for consumers would remain unchanged.

What's a Walmart Express??

Maybe he means a Walmart Marketplace........Walmart is trying to put all percieved present or future compedetors out of business.

In Florida, they've been trying to put Publix out of business by matching sale prices and bogo offers. This isn't just for Publix, although that's who it is directed against, it is any published ad.

The way I see it is that the store (Publix etc) isn't making any money from the sale.......I'll go to Walmart just to cost them money.

Maybe he means a Walmart Marketplace........Walmart is trying to put all percieved present or future compedetors out of business.

In Florida, they've been trying to put Publix out of business by matching sale prices and bogo offers. This isn't just for Publix, although that's who it is directed against, it is any published ad.

The way I see it is that the store (Publix etc) isn't making any money from the sale.......I'll go to Walmart just to cost them money.

I'm not sure I unuderstand your stategy. :huh:

Here's the info on Walmart Expresses. Note - Walmart Marketplace is different

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/08/15/inside-walmarts-convenience-stores-big-box-giant-goes-small-photos/

Here is an earlier local article about Walmart Express coming to Mantachie.

First rumored early last month, the retail giant has confirmed its plans to open a Walmart Express store on Highway 363 in Mantachie, across from Delmar’s restaurant. Site plans for the store were recently submitted to the town and approved by the town’s board of aldermen during last week’s regular meeting.

Walmart Express stores are intended to breach the market in small towns that aren’t big enough to support a full-size Walmart, and in big cities where it’s impractical to build a supercenter. The stores are meant to target the same customer base as stores like Dollar General and Fred’s, both of which have Mantachie locations.

Plans size the building at 11,879 square feet, roughly a third the size of the standard Walmart Supercenter with which most people are familiar. Traditionally, Walmart Express stores feature a small selection of groceries, a pharmacy and fuel pumps. Although the plans don’t detail the inside features of the store, they do show a single set of fuel pumps.

I try to buy everywhere BUT Wally World. It came into my city and put a lot of small local business's out of business. I only go there for asked for gift cards at Christmas time or when I need the oil I use in my diesel. They sell the synthetic Rotella and the other parts stores and Big R only sell the non synthetic. So that means I go there at 1am on a weekday twice a year. I buy enough oil for 3 oil changes when I go.

Dang that Walmart. Who do they think they are moving in and selling inexpensive stuff that lots of folks want to buy? They must have forced millions of people to go there regularly to make as much money as they have. If not for them lots of Americans could get well paying jobs sewing shirts and making shoes instead of shipping those quality jobs overseas. Of course prices for consumers would remain unchanged.

Exactly. Lots of people argue that Walmart puts lots of Americans to work, which is true. But they are low paying jobs selling stuff made overseas that we used to get paid better to make ourselves for us.

Exactly. Lots of people argue that Walmart puts lots of Americans to work, which is true. But they are low paying jobs selling stuff made overseas that we used to get paid better to make ourselves for us.

They must be doing something right. I personally know 8 people that work there and they all have over 10 years senority +. One has worked for them 19 years now. From cashier to manager. Now I find out my neighbor has worked for Wal-Mart for 8 years as a clerk and stocker.

Now why is Wal-Mart being picked on only? Target? K-Mart? Home Depot? Lowe? etc. chain stores. Their wages are the same starting, or less.

As to overseas, check out all the above, plus Sears, Penny's, Auto-Zone, check out your gun shops and see how many firearms, ammo, leather,scopes, etc. is made overseas.

MT

It is popular to decry the death of small mom and pop stores but the truth is that mom and pop are losing business to the big chains because they are simply not competitive on price or selection. When I lived in a small Iowa town, population 1500, it was a 20 mile drive to the nearest Wallyworld so I would often buy things locally knowing I was paying more for them but saving the time and expense of driving. However, the day a local dealer wanted to charge me $13 for a gallon of bar and chain oil I had just seen at Wallyworld for $3.98 he lost my business for good. I'll pay more to support a local dealer but that doesn't give them the license to rip me off

Every place 'round here that I see a WM move in it seems to attract business. Yea, maybe some of the mom and pop stores close but others open too. Depends on what businesses yer talking' about. In the next little suburb east of me a WM expanded to a Super WM and now there's a Rally's, a new gas station and a couple of really small businesses that weren't there before. Oh and BTW this WM sells USA made food products some from locally grown farms.

Rye ;)

I'm not sure I unuderstand your stategy. :huh:

When Publix has 24 pack of beer on sale for $15 and WM sells the same 24 pack for $17.50, WM has to match the Publix price. The way I figure it, Publix wasn't going to make any profit on the item at that price, they just wanted to get you in the store. WM on the other hand, was probably making .50 profit per item, therefore for them to sell the item at $2.50 less than what they normally sell the item for......cost them $2 per item. Same goes for bogo items.

The reason the mom and pop stores can't compete is simple. The larger stores get better deals because they buy in huge quantities. It is like that all over. If you are a casual shooter you may need a box of ammo a month at say $20/box.s But then the other guy shoots more so he buys the 1000 round tin at $300. That means the casual shooter is paying more per shot than the other guy. And I am sure it is even a larger difference than what these stores are paying. Mom and pop maybe a case of an item but walmart buying truck loads of that item for all their stores.

I don't mind spending a little extra to support local business....

But just to get facts straight not everything in Walmart is from China: http://corporate.walmart.com/global-responsibility/us-manufacturing

and the reality isn't so easy at times: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/04/us-walmart-reshoring-idUSKBN0EF0AF20140604

GG ~

Wally World is at least a brick & mortar store. How many brick & mortar stores are going out of business because of Internet sales. Amazon is hard to beat by the Mom & Pop businesses and even chain businesses.

No matter where I shop I try to buy USA made. WM has recently made an effort in my opinion to stock more USA made things. If I ask clerks or salespeople in WM for USA made items most of the time they are very happy to help find them. That being said I buy more things at small gunshops stores etc., than I do at bigger places. kR

No matter where I shop I try to buy USA made. WM has recently made an effort in my opinion to stock more USA made things. If I ask clerks or salespeople in WM for USA made items most of the time they are very happy to help find them. That being said I buy more things at small gunshops stores etc., than I do at bigger places. kR

That is really the answer. You have to insist on made in USA. You have to make the effort and if enough of us really cared and insisted it would change. Unfortunately, the vast majority care more about price. Reasonable quality at a bargain price beats better quality and higher price in this market every time.

When Publix has 24 pack of beer on sale for $15 and WM sells the same 24 pack for $17.50, WM has to match the Publix price. The way I figure it, Publix wasn't going to make any profit on the item at that price, they just wanted to get you in the store. WM on the other hand, was probably making .50 profit per item, therefore for them to sell the item at $2.50 less than what they normally sell the item for......cost them $2 per item. Same goes for bogo items.

What are "bogo items"?

That is really the answer. You have to insist on made in USA. You have to make the effort and if enough of us really cared and insisted it would change. Unfortunately, the vast majority care more about price. Reasonable quality at a bargain price beats better quality and higher price in this market every time.

I have found what I want (frequently less expensive) made in USA items several times. kR

Well, not having any exerience in groceries I wouldn't know if Publix sells items at no profit or not. But if they did it just to get you in the store to buy other items and you go to Walmart instead, then Publix still loses out.

I have found what I want (frequently less expensive) made in USA items several times. kR

Having spent a large portion of my working life as a buyer and been involved in a lot of negotiations I learned early on that you have to be willing to walk away to be effective. If you accept the Chinese made product when told "this is the only one we carry" and buy it anyway you have made no impact. Ya gotta walk to send a message. Even then that message is meaningless unless enough people do it. Sounds to me like you're doing it right KR

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in my post.

I recommend a refresher course in International Economics as well as comparative and absolute advantage for those who think buying imports is a bad thing. I also suggest considering what will happen to prices if we buy strictly made in USA items.

There's a reason Chinese and other imported goods are so cheap, their labor pools are willing to work for much less than Americans do. You can end imported goods if you like, but you will inevitably end up paying more for those made in the USA goods, much more.

I prefer to buy goods that require low skilled labor from abroad and focus on producing goods that require a higher skill level here. Of course that puts a premium on education and training.

Nobody is forced to shop at Walmart. If you don't like them, then don't frequent them. Fighting to keep a company you never plan to frequent out of your town seems to indicate that what is really desired is to prevent OTHER people from having the choice to shop there if they like.

They must be doing something right. I personally know 8 people that work there and they all have over 10 years senority +. One has worked for them 19 years now. From cashier to manager. Now I find out my neighbor has worked for Wal-Mart for 8 years as a clerk and stocker.

Now why is Wal-Mart being picked on only? Target? K-Mart? Home Depot? Lowe? etc. chain stores. Their wages are the same starting, or less.

As to overseas, check out all the above, plus Sears, Penny's, Auto-Zone, check out your gun shops and see how many firearms, ammo, leather,scopes, etc. is made overseas.

MT

I wasn't trying to belittle Walmart employees, and I realize that most retailers are about the same. My point was simply that at one time we were a nation of manufacturers, now we are a nation of retailers selling products made overseas that at one time we made here. Lots of empty factories here in the USA. Now how we got that way is another matter all together. :)

I wasn't trying to belittle Walmart employees, and I realize that most retailers are about the same. My point was simply that at one time we were a nation of manufacturers, now we are a nation of retailers selling products made overseas that at one time we made here. Lots of empty factories here in the USA. Now how we got that way is another matter all together. :)

Actually we're #2 in the world! Only being displaced by China 2 years ago.

https://www.mapi.net/china-has-dominant-share-world-manufacturing

Demands for higher wages and benefits eventually drove many jobs overseas, so products would still be available on the market, and keep companies in business. (if these american companies didn't move out of USA, surely the product they made, and the demand for same, would have been manufactured by a newly foreign company) Today, most available jobs are in the service areas, Walmarts, and Fast Foods. What will happen to these jobs if the demands are met? Higher prices, closures, or/and less jobs? Whereas McDonalds, Burger Kings, jobs were part time, after school employment. Learn skills and discipline then move on and up. Now the demand is there to make these full time with wages of what factory skilled labors made?

Wal-Mart (still can't figure why Target, K-Mart etc. don't fit in there) doesn't force people to work there, they have a starting wage with chances for stock options, and growth to higher wages and positions for those willing to work.

Doeb anyone really believe that you can raise cost (wages, and benefits) without raises the price of its wares? That your hamburger, fries, and shake won't be double, or the groceries, beer and bread won't double? Will your wages, Social Security check be raised accordingly to be able to have buying power in the marketplace? Will all the fast foods stay in business, or just a few in large towns? What happens to all those that were working then? MT

Back in the day, America made goods that simple couldn't be produced in other countyries. Our manufacturing capability, especially after WWII was phenomenal. We had the workers, the know how, the money and the factories. But the world has caught up and in some cases surpassed us. Look at the American steel industry and Detroit. Fat and happy, they stuck with old technology and the tide washed over them.

We can stil compete, it's just going to take a lot of effort. And the old days won't come back.

Can we really still compete? With fast food workers demanding $15 an hour and the Government interfering in how businesses are run I'm not so sure we can, at least not in the manufacturing area. If food prices rise to support worker demands everyone up the line will demand more to cover the cost of living increases. That is not the way we can successfully compete with dollar an hour labor costs. If we are going to manufacture products we have to be able to do it faster and with fewer employees. We can perhaps do that but it doesn't create the number of jobs we need. It's a difficult problem but the first step in solving it is to get the Government out of the way and out of the pockets of everyone with the ideas and guts to try their solution.

Archived