SASS Wire Forum

Taliban releases Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...

Good news.

I still want to know why he walked away with a bottle of water and a compass.

Well...

Good news.

I still want to know why he walked away with a bottle of water and a compass.

Yes, there are many questions about the details of his capture. And those will be addressed by the Army.

But the release of the only US POW is good news, especially with our impending withdrawl from the region.

I will not rain on the parade today.

Great news, for sure.

Yes, there are many questions about the details of his capture. And those will be addressed by the Army.

But the release of the only US POW is good news, especially with our impending withdrawl from the region.

I will not rain on the parade today.

No, I don't mean to rain on the parade either.

I'm very glad he's free.

However, 'Boma seems to have bought his freedom with Gitmo prisoners and the surrender of Afghanistan.

It's great that he's home...but why does the article use the term "rescued" three times? Not nit picking...just wondering who is characterizing a prisoner exchange as a "rescue", and why.

LL

Don't know other than today's "journalists" seem to have a hard time with words and their meaning.:rolleyes:

I'm very glad he's free.

However, 'Boma seems to have bought his freedom with Gitmo prisoners and the surrender of Afghanistan.

Prisoner exchanges have been common since the middle ages. The Israelis have even done it.

Prisoner exchanges have been common since the middle ages. The Israelis have even done it.

Yah. I just don't like negotiating with non-state terrorist groups like the Taliban. Especially with releasing 5 of their baddest actors from Gitmo. I have little doubt we'll come to regret those releases.

Yah. I just don't like negotiating with non-state terrorist groups like the Taliban. Especially with releasing 5 of their baddest actors from Gitmo. I have little doubt we'll come to regret those releases.

It's the way of the world. With the exception of a few rogue loony states like NK there will be no more formal prisoner exchanges between legitimate nations in our lifetime I'm afraid.

I hear ya

GG

Hmmm..it's been a black eye for the present administration - not keeping one of their primary promises - to close down Gitmo. Faced with the realities of being in charge, they found themselves in the same position as the Bush folks - just what do you do with a bunch of really bad actors that nobody wants? The NYC trial idea collapsed, as did the Saudi offer to take a few. It must have been a relief to have an unassailable reason to swap five of them. I hope they gave them all watches with GPS chips as going away presents....

LL

Regardless of what the circumstances of his capture may have been, I am happy that an American family will have their son back.

In the almost 40 years since we actively moved to leave so many known POW's behind in Southeast Asia, Sgt Bergdahl's release is the first moment of celebration on this issue since Jessica Lynch was rescued in Iraq. Those who have ridden the miles, lobbied the Congress, helped write and lobby legislation, protest, write letters and make phone calls in support of this man and his family are in full celebration mode today.

There is no time or reason right now to do anything but celebrate that an American soldier is free from his captors and back in American custody. Take a moment to imagine the relief that his family and friends feel right now as if he's your own son.

While I'm happy for Sgt. Bowe and his family, it also makes me nervous for all our boys over there that are vulnerable to capture. The Taliban will chalk this up as a victory and want to do it again!!

Mixed feelings on this one fer sure! :(

Rye

The Taliban has frequently attempted to capture US troops. They just rarely succeed.

While I'm happy for Sgt. Bowe and his family, it also makes me nervous for all our boys over there that are vulnerable to capture. The Taliban will chalk this up as a victory and want to do it again!!

Mixed feelings on this one fer sure! :(

Rye

As Utah Bob is saying... This guy was hardly the first attempt.

The military is reeealy good at not letting people get captured though. When they follow the rules at least.

As part of the outprocessing medical examination, I hope they implant a GPS tracking device. Bend over and cough, Habeeb.

Radenna.jpg

The more I see about the 'Boma Five, the more worried I become. These are accomplished, trained and dedicated terrorists and mass murders; organizers and leaders of killers -- the very worst of the worst. Two are wanted by the World Court for horrific violence. Qatar is only promising to hold them for a year. Now comes the revelation that laws were cynically ignored in releasing the terrorists from Gitmo... For a Rose Garden photo-op? Mein Gott.

Regardless of what the circumstances of his capture may have been, I am happy that an American family will have their son back.

As most of us are UB ;)

GG

I'm glad he's coming home, but I'm sure the terrorists he was traded for aren't going to go into retirement.

good news indeed. why was he in civilian close in the photo with the President that I saw earlier?

Huh? He's in Germany right now. I don't think he's met with Obama yet.

There is no time or reason right now to do anything but celebrate that an American soldier is free from his captors and back in American custody. Take a moment to imagine the relief that his family and friends feel right now as if he's your own son.

Amen Brother

A story today says Sgt. Bowe was disheartened by the mission and was "embarrassed" to be an American. They think this is why he possibly walked off camp. Was he thinking about deserting??? Hmmm…..there's a lot more to this story than we know right now.

But in the weeks before his capture, Bergdahl had made murky statements that suggested he was gravitating away from the soldiers in his unit and toward ­desertion, a member of his platoon told Rolling Stone.

“I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools,” he concluded. “I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.”

These are quotes from Sgt. Berdahl

…and then there's this:http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/fellow-soldiers-bergdahl-deserted_794063.html

Archived