SASS Wire Forum

Renewed my CCW today

Henry T Harrison

My wife and I went into the Mercer County Pa. sheriff’s office today to renew our CCW permits. What a pleasant experience. Since we had just moved into the county from suburban Pittsburgh we had to start as if these were new permits. We had downloaded and filled out the one page application before going in which was a big help. Within 15 minutes we were photographed, the NICS checks were done and minus $20 each we were out the door. A young deputy held the door for us congratulated us for getting our permits and commented that everyone should be carrying. There is nothing like living in rural Pa.

ONE page...?? :blink:

Ours is close to 20...!

AND the price tag is about ten times yours... :(

The last time that I went to renew mine in San Diego it felt like a KGB interrogation and then they asked for a few more documents that Mrs. Lose and I felt weren't any of their business so it didn't get renewed.

Good to hear a positive story. I'm in Cuyahoga Cty. OH, VERY anti gun, Cty. sheriff basically said back when our CCW law was passed he was going to make it the most difficult thing to get as he didn't agree with it. Lucky thing we can apply to adjoining counties for our CCW which just about everyone did. Its changed a lot, better, different sheriff, but still convoluted, time consuming and downtown Cleveland, they should give you the CCW no questions asked if you survive the drive down there, I'll pass. 4 year renewal, got rid of the law requiring a refresher class on 2nd renewal. Couple of pages document, passport photo, fingerprints 1st time and money, 1/2 hour, a week to process, usually less, pick it up.

Henry-Aren't you a LEO?

If so-Why do you need a CCW?

LG

I'm retired so I do need a ccw, Just a normal civilian now it cost me the same $20 for four years as my wife and no I did not tell them I was retired LEO until after I had the permit. Here in the county treasurers office there is a 4x4 stainless glass window hanging on the wall emblazoned with the 2nd

I'm retired so I do need a ccw, Just a normal civilian now it cost me the same $20 for four years as my wife and no I did not tell them I was retired LEO until after I had the permit. Here in the county treasurers office there is a 4x4 stainless glass window hanging on the wall emblazoned with the 2nd

Interesting-When I left the PD, my dept ID was 'endorsed' for CCW.

LG

$50.00 every four years here and go get your picture taken at the DMV. No questions asked, 90 mday grace period. If you let it expire, you start all over at an average cost of around $210.00.

Process was easy here in Michigan when I got mine back in October. Simple form, pic, appeared before the county gun board 2 months later after the background check.... Handed my card with a 'congratulations' ;) renews every 5 years.

GG

Here is the BS I would have to go through:

http://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw.php

On 2/13/2014 the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office dropped the "good cause" standard for issuing conceal carry permits after the requirement was struck down that day by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The court ruled that the Second Amendment bars California counties from requiring law-abiding gun owners who want to carry concealed firearms to demonstrate special, individualized needs for protection.

On 2/28/2014, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decided to withdraw their decision in the above case by a decision to rehear the case En Banc. The Court has ordered a stay on the issuance of their previous mandate from 2/13/2014, which only required an applicant to state a need of “self defense” as their reason for desiring a CCW License. Therefore, as of 2/28/14 the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office will revert back to requiring all applicants to supplement the “good cause” statement for the CCW License in accord with Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office Policy 219 and California Penal Code section 26150(a)(2).

http://www.sonomasheriff.org/pdf/BOF_4012_CCWapplication_112012AAA.PDF

WOW-9th 'Circus' overturned themownselfs, for once. :rolleyes:

What a 'piece-of-work' they are :excl::angry:

LG

Yeah....political pressure from our AG, Kamala Harris (sp?) "Local law enforcement must be able to use their discretion to determine who can carry a concealed weapon,'' Harris said. "I will do everything possible to restore law enforcement's authority to protect public safety, and so today am calling on the court to review and reverse its decision.''

Wonder what other civil rights she thinks "local law enforcement" needs to decide who can and can't exercise them?

9th is nut'n but a bunch of COWARDS who caved to a rage'n b---h.

LG

All it takes is one judge to call for an en banc hearing. There is also another case, I think Yolo Co. that the 9th decided in favor of our civil rights. http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/05/6212877/yolo-county-concealed-weapons.html

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/memoranda/2014/03/05/11-16255.pdf

Renewed mine for $70. It's now good for life.

I assumed my life but perhaps they meant the life of the Union?

They jacked up our permit fees to about $80 several years back. They are still easy to get with no testing or good cause required. Just a clean record and a set of fingerprints. I think they just wanted more money. I've got a LE carry anywhere permit but I need the regular carry permit to make gun buying easier. (No silly call in back ground check) When I retire next year, I get my carry permits for free.

"I will do everything possible to restore law enforcement's authority monopoly to protect public safety, and so today am calling on the court to review and reverse its decision.''

Fixed that for you.

The Federal LEOSA of 2004 (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) allows all "qualified LE" and "qualified retired LE" to carry concealed weapons in all 50 states without a CCW/CPL. It's the "qualified part" that is tough. Not a big deal for current LE but retired guys have to go to a local agency and qualify yearly on the weapon they plan to carry. If they cant find a place to do so, then they can't carry. As an example One of our sgts retired and moved to FL. He can't find an agency willing to let him shoot the qual near him so he no longer has the privilege. At our agencies open range days we have numerous retired cops that show up to qualify.

The Federal LEOSA of 2004 (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) allows all "qualified LE" and "qualified retired LE" to carry concealed weapons in all 50 states without a CCW/CPL. It's the "qualified part" that is tough. Not a big deal for current LE but retired guys have to go to a local agency and qualify yearly on the weapon they plan to carry. If they cant find a place to do so, then they can't carry. As an example One of our sgts retired and moved to FL. He can't find an agency willing to let him shoot the qual near him so he no longer has the privilege. At our agencies open range days we have numerous retired cops that show up to qualify.

That sounds bad.

Seems there should be relief for the "unwilling agency" problem. Seems like a "postal qualifying" (like "postal match") should be legal. That would of course require trusting the retired cops to honestly follow the rules. We did trust them before so..............

That sounds bad.

Seems there should be relief for the "unwilling agency" problem. Seems like a "postal qualifying" (like "postal match") should be legal. That would of course require trusting the retired cops to honestly follow the rules. We did trust them before so..............

And this opens up the "why should any of us have to beg permission from the state" can of worms. And, the second can, right next to it, of why LEOs and former LEOs get the special treatment. (and, to the person who always accuses me of cop bashing any time I post anything that casts doubt on anything that cops do, don't do, etc, no, this isn't cop bashing, just questioning The Way Things Are)

Well... I don't take either side on the issue but the fact that police help put a lot of people away and probably have people looking for them when they get out of jail is probably a good reason enough.

GG

And this opens up the "why should any of us have to beg permission from the state" can of worms. And, the second can, right next to it, of why LEOs and former LEOs get the special treatment. (and, to the person who always accuses me of cop bashing any time I post anything that casts doubt on anything that cops do, don't do, etc, no, this isn't cop bashing, just questioning The Way Things Are)

I had more training in criminal law in the academy than attorneys get in law school and was required to attend and test on updates every year. I qualified 3 times a year with every firearm I carried as well as quarterly firearms training for over 30 years Thats over 300 trips to the firing line to qualify. Add experience and other training and that might be why.

I don't claim to be better than anyone else just better trained than the average civilian

I had more training in criminal law in the academy than attorneys get in law school and was required to attend and test on updates every year. I qualified 3 times a year with every firearm I carried as well as quarterly firearms training for over 30 years Thats over 300 trips to the firing line to qualify. Add experience and other training and that might be why.

I don't claim to be better than anyone else just better trained than the average civilian

May be the case for you, but I know cops that don't know crap about firearms and civilians that are trained as well or better than some cops. Just something to think about. Being a cop ain't the end all be all for firearm training....though in general it's a good start....will concede that point ;)

GG

May be the case for you, but I know cops that don't know crap about firearms and civilians that are trained as well or better than some cops. Just something to think about. Being a cop ain't the end all be all for firearm training....though in general it's a good start....will concede that point ;)

GG

It’s not about knowing how to shoot, but when to shoot and more importantly when not to shoot that is important and that is where the training comes into play

Stay safe

Archived