SASS Wire Forum

H110 for Colt 45?

Haskell Rascal

I am needing assistance with loading for a Colt 45 Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel .
I am wanting to use H110 and 255 grain RNFP cast bullets and also 300grain RNFP cast.This will be used for hunting deer or hogs but not but I am not wanting to break my wrist! Can someone point me in the right direction?

This powder is designed to burn best at presures of 29,000 Psi and upwards and the use of heavy for caliber bullets (like your 300 gr, choice) with a firm crimp ...

Ask yourself if the gun and your wrists are up to it ...

Do you have a Chronograph ???

We can't list charge weights on the Wire....

PM me ,,,, If you wish and I can get you started ....

Jabez Cowboy

H-110 is a fine powder if you are shooting a OLD STYLE RUGER BLACKHAWK in .45 Colt ...

I was shooting 300 grain bullets out of mine at over 1,300 Fps. (7 1/2 barrel) with great accuracy,,,,,, but it's Hard on wrists so I'm told...

This load should prove more than enough for Hogs or Elk ....

Jabez Cowboy

Go to the Hodgdon web site and look at their reloading data. Also you might give them a call. You are going to be limited to velocity due to being lead bullets, about 1400 fps or so without leading the barrel. Besides you really do not need wrists, I used H110 in 44 mag loads for a long time

I found the W296/H110 loads in 44 mag (300 gr) and 41 mag (260 gr surprisingly easy to shoot. They don't recoil as badly as you might think.

I've never loaded for the 45 and was a bit surprised to see the post that indicated that lead bullets would be required. Hornady makes a 45 cal 300 gr. XTP Jacketed Hollow Point that should work for anything in North America.

H110 is one of my favorites in the big bore pistol calibers.

My FAVORITE is actually LilGun.

When you find the right load data for your particular bullet and H110, please note the reloading info. H110 is not suppose to be loaded 'down'.

Most of the load data you read will be right at the correct load data with little variation.

296, 2400, H110, AA #9 and LilGun are all good powders for 'hot' stuff in both the .44 mag and .45 Colt.

..........Widder

I, too, am a big fan of H110. Used it for many years in several different 44s for IHMSA competition as well as for hunting. Of the last 15+ years it has been my most used and favored propellant in the 454 Casull (FAs). There was much of a "pet" load used amongst many sillouette competitors, accurate with several different brands of bullets out to 200 yards. As for 454, well trust that I use a right heavy charge, and yes it can get your attention. You seem somewhat concerned as to recoil, understant it is not a powder to consider downloading. In a 45 C revolver of strong enough frame, Ruger or Smith it should be just fine a reccommended weights. I would suggest mag primers.

I have a load in 357 Mag. using "Lil Gun" and 180 grain jacketed bullets that gets me 85 FPS. more than any Listed Top Load of either Win296 or H-110 ,,,, and does so with 12,000 Psi less presure ....

It also gives equal or better velocities with LESS Presure in Heavy loaded .44 mag. and .45 colt ...

Jabez Cowboy

PM sent with some info for you. :ph34r:

A fellow named Elmer Keith believed that RNFPs were poor choices for hunting as they tended to only push their way through muscle and leave holes that simply closed. He believed the SWC actually cut tissue and left a caliber-sized hole. Any righting by Brian Pierce concurs. It makes sense.

I have used 2400 and 255-grain SWC in my Vaquero with good results on semi-hard targets: phone books and such. H-110, W-296 and Accurate #9 require magnum primers and tend to be on the very upper end of the pressure curve to perform well. 2400, Accurate #7 and W-231 will nearly match the velocity with less pressure and standard primers.

Why is it shooters always want to turn the 45 colt into a 44 magnum?

I have good results with 300 gr bullet on top of 2400 powder.And I don't have to wear a shooting glove ;)

I have traded the H110 to a pard for some 2400. It should work with my 255 and 300 grain bullets and be easier to handle from everyone's opinions. It seems like the H110 is pretty good if you need a sledgehammer for the job but not so good if you only need a fair sized ball peen!

No need to reinvent the wheel Go to Paco Kelly and it tells why the old cowboy guns work on game. I had to back off 1 grain from his top loads because of cratering in my Rossi 45. His top load worked in my RV and you do know when they go off. Any how top loads with 300 lead and H110 will go the long way through a mule deer at 200 yards (rifle) and should take down anything short of a TRex. Makes for a great combination on horseback.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

Cowboy, I do believe that stand would give me nosebleed! ;)

LOL.....It's not a high as it looks. The GoPro camera has a wide angle lens that I'm use to looking at but it does "look" high. About 20 Ft is all.

PS. I don't shoot 45 LC but I talked to a guy that doesn't surf the web but he absolutely loves 45 LC and has been shooting them since the 70"s. He likes Unique for hunting loads. He said the H110 will work (in a strong Ruger....not NMV as we all know) but you can't really down load it much because of the case volume. IOW you will be really pushing the gun with that load. So he likes Unique better because it gives you a more manageable hunting load.

Good luck either way.

Why is it shooters always want to turn the 45 colt into a 44 magnum?

I have good results with 300 gr bullet on top of 2400 powder.And I don't have to wear a shooting glove ;)

That is a great question and I can only answer for myself.

Basically, its because I don't own any .44 mags. Really.

But I own a few .45 Colt caliber pistols and Marlins.

Using my pet loads of LilGun and favorite projectiles, I can get .454 Casull performance out of my 16.5" barrel Marlin (in .45 Colt) that is equal to the .454 in a pistol.

Granted, if I had a .44 Mag Marlin (or 92), I could probably also get those type performances out of a short barrel rifle equal to .454 performance in the pistol.

I just don't own a .44

I will say this about LilGun. Of my hottest loads, used in my Ruger RuperBlackhawk Hunter in .45 Colt, I get no pressure signs like I do with H110 and AA9. Most of my cases fall right out of the chambers, primers don't flatten out, and recoil is most managable.

But, when it barks, you can definately tell that its a thunderboomer. It give the name 'Warthog' a new meaning.

I'll be glad to post velocities/bullet weights if anyone cares to know.

Best regards

..........Widder

I have found over the years that less is usually best. As a matter of fact I just spent the last two days disassembling a bunch of OMG 44 Magnum reloads from 20 years ago. I reloaded them when I was in the anything less than a 454 won't get the job done belief. I now convinced that 1200 fps will get the job done. If 1200 fps won't do it than I need to be reaching for a rifle.

Archived