SASS Wire Forum

Kilts

Deputy Dangit

I can just picture a lady shooter showing up in a Hijab and Burka, and her husband in his Thobe and Ghutra.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess grass skirts should be acceptable too, because at least Hawaii, unlike Scotland, became a part of the United States in the 19th century.

Aloha.

What?? Hawaii became a state in 1959, that's the 20th century!

The Territory of Hawaii was annexed to the United States on July 7, 1898. This was in the 19th century.

Snakebite

Ok this settled it. Timber jack sent ya an email but just in case. Im of the brus line where's a good place to get my families tartan?

Personally, I think this laissez faire attitude and those who are proponents of it, as it relates to "period correct" 19th Century clothing appropriate for SASS,........ is JUST PLAIN WRONG. I don't think it's cool, funny or appropriate. It believe it to be out of place in this sport, that actually does have clothing (not costume) guidelines, which unfortunately have not been well-enforced. The perhaps-unstated rule regarding period-correct clothing is that it means "cowboy period-correct." I seriously doubt that there were many every-day kilt wearers and other out-of-place clothing in the old west. Whether it was "out there" in the 19th Century or not is irrelevent, because if it was, it was so rare as to draw stares and unfavorable comments even then. Mexican clothing was common of course, as were others, but just because someone finds an obscure reference or photo of kilt or lederhosen or other such clothing does not make it appropriate to wear for SASS.

Remember .... SASS came into being to pay homage to the Old West as we "remember" it in those old movies from the 20th Century period of the 1930's through the 1960's or 1970's. I think most members would like to take it a step further and be able to be absolutely period correct in our clothing back to the Old West. However As far a "period correct" goes, it simply is not easy to find truly period correct "cowboy" clothing, but getting as close to that as is practical, affordable and reasonable should be (my opinion) the goal of the membership.

Let's put it in perspective.

At what percentage (combined) of kilts, Irish tam hats, swim suits, silly prison stripes, 60's style business suits, Wonder Woman outfits, German leather short pants and you-name-it get ups are you willing to tolerate before it's no longer "Cowboy Action Shooting," but instead, "Halloween Action Shooting" with old guns? At that point, I think most members would probably lose interest and move on to some other sport.

Remember .... SASS came into being to pay homage to the Old West as we "remember" it in those old movies from the 20th Century period of the 1930's through the 1960's or 1970's. I think most members would like to take it a step further and be able to be absolutely period correct in our clothing back to the Old West. However As far a "period correct" goes, it simply is not easy to find truly period correct "cowboy" clothing, but getting as close to that as is practical, affordable and reasonable should be (my opinion) the goal of the membership.

At what percentage (combined) of kilts, Irish tam hats, swim suits, silly prison stripes, 60's style business suits, Wonder Woman outfits, German leather short pants and you-name-it get ups are you willing to tolerate before it's no longer "Cowboy Action Shooting," but instead, "Halloween Action Shooting" with old guns? At that point, I think most members would probably lose interest and move on to some other sport.

And you'd be wrong. It came into being to shoot the old guns. And costuming was added to make it unique. I think it was in '87 I got 2nd place in the men's costume contest wearing my mountain man buckskins & moccasins. The winner was dressed as a " Californio", ridin' britches, lacy, frilly shirt & waistcoat. I've seen far too many shooters dress up for the various awards, banquets in bowler, tophats & tails, yet I haven't gotten offended. Why should you if I dress up in an ancestral kilt, sporran, sock, dress shit of appropriate style and tails? I'm as proud of my Scottish heriitage as the next man is of his. If my fantasy is that I'm a Scottish land baron in the old west, how's that knockin' skin off your nose.

I'm absolutely sure most members (if by "most" you're willing to accept between 45-55% as "most"), WOULD like authenticity in their dress and in some of their gear. As long as you don't include holsters, belts, boots, or actual firearms in that need for "authenticity"; then you might drop down to about 25%. Whoa, ain't that about the number of classic cowboys?

This whole discussion is rather pointless, UNLESS, your purpose is to make SASS into that other authenticity oriented group. And watch participation plummet! Oh wait... maybe that WILL improve MY chances to be Top Overall at EOT! And on the authenticity front, my kilt & clobber will fit right in with that authencity crowd. Do your earthwalkers? (As just one example of what's legal, but not "cowboy"; and that list is long, but does not include my tartan).

Just to show that there's no hard feelings, next time I wear the clan colors (Kenzie), I'll dab some "instant tan' on the knees so yer not blinded!

There was an episode of "WAGON TRAIN" that had a band of Scotts that were attired in kilts and insisted on playing their bagpipes while traveling with the wagon train, Much to the annoyance of Maj. Adams (Ward Bond).

There was an episode of "WAGON TRAIN" that had a band of Scotts that were attired in kilts and insisted on playing their bagpipes while traveling with the wagon train, Much to the annoyance of Maj. Adams (Ward Bond).

Grapeshot, that pretty much makes one of the points I was making in my original reply, which was: "The exception does not make the rule."

I could cite similar occurrances, such as in Bonanza where the Italian family squatted on the Ponderosa, etc. The point is, how much is acceptable and what do you do to reverse it. How many members are offended by this stuff but are too polite to say anything, because "The Cowboy Way" gets shoved down their throats if they did? Actually the cowboy way would be to voice an opinion that this garb is not acceptable.

Anyway, we could do this back and forth for a long time and not agree, but would still be friends. That's my opinion, anyway.

And you'd be wrong. It came into being to shoot the old guns. And costuming was added to make it unique. I think it was in '87 I got 2nd place in the men's costume contest (A)wearing my mountain man buckskins & moccasins. The winner was dressed as a " Californio", ridin' britches, lacy, frilly shirt & waistcoat. I've seen far too many shooters dress up for the various awards, banquets in bowler, tophats & tails, yet I haven't gotten offended. Why should you if I dress up in an ancestral kilt, sporran, sock, dress shit of appropriate style and tails? I'm as proud of my Scottish heriitage as the next man is of his. If my fantasy is that I'm a Scottish land baron in the old west, how's that knockin' skin off your nose.

I'm absolutely sure most members (if by "most" you're willing to accept between 45-55% as "most"), WOULD like (B)authenticity in their dress and in some of their gear. As long as you don't include holsters, belts, boots, or actual firearms in that need for "authenticity"; then you might drop down to about 25%. Whoa, ain't that about the number of classic cowboys?

©This whole discussion is rather pointless, UNLESS, your purpose is to make SASS into that other authenticity oriented group. And watch participation plummet! Oh wait... maybe that WILL improve MY chances to be Top Overall at EOT! And on the authenticity front, my kilt & clobber will fit right in with that authencity crowd. Do your earthwalkers? (As just one example of what's legal, but not "cowboy"; and that list is long, but does not include my tartan).

Just to show that there's no hard feelings, next time I wear the clan colors (Kenzie), I'll dab some "instant tan' on the knees so yer not blinded!

A....I don't think anyone would argue with the idea that those types of dress you refer to ARE of the Old West era, being pre-Civil War or close to it. For instance, I consider The Mountain Men to be a Western. I'm not really being super specific about the period represented with the clothing or in a movie. The term "cowboy" refers to the geographical region the movie is set in, really. There are many movies I'd consider 'Westerns," that don't have too many "cowboys" in them (i.e. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Shootist, etc.).

B....Sure, I agree that most would like to be as authentic as possible, and I think that's pretty much what I said.

C. As I said in my reply, the membership should strive to be as authenic in their dress. "as is practical, afordable and reasonable."

But you're right, it IS only a discussion of opinions and of course, there are no hard feelings,

If you want to see anything goes as far as dress at a "cowboy match" goes, be sure and attend the Castaway Cowboys match in Norco, Ca. with The Cowboys this Sunday. The only requirements are boots and a hat, everything in between has no restrictions. Some of its really, really good and some of it is really, really, really bad!!!!

Grapeshot, that pretty much makes one of the points I was making in my original reply, which was: "The exception does not make the rule."

I could cite similar occurrances, such as in Bonanza where the Italian family squatted on the Ponderosa, etc. The point is, how much is acceptable and what do you do to reverse it. How many members are offended by this stuff but are too polite to say anything, because "The Cowboy Way" gets shoved down their throats if they did? Actually the cowboy way would be to voice an opinion that this garb is not acceptable.

Anyway, we could do this back and forth for a long time and not agree, but would still be friends. That's my opinion, anyway.

Hey Mr. Brules,

How did you do at your regional match??

Phantom

The perhaps-unstated rule regarding period-correct clothing is that it means "cowboy period-correct." I seriously doubt that there were many every-day kilt wearers and other out-of-place clothing in the old west. Whether it was "out there" in the 19th Century or not is irrelevent, because if it was, it was so rare as to draw stares and unfavorable comments even then. Mexican clothing was common of course, as were others, but just because someone finds an obscure reference or photo of kilt or lederhosen or other such clothing does not make it appropriate to wear for SASS.

Remember .... SASS came into being to pay homage to the Old West as we "remember" it in those old movies from the 20th Century period of the 1930's through the 1960's or 1970's. I think most members would like to take it a step further and be able to be absolutely period correct in our clothing back to the Old West. However As far a "period correct" goes, it simply is not easy to find truly period correct "cowboy" clothing, but getting as close to that as is practical, affordable and reasonable should be (my opinion) the goal of the membership..

First, thanks for your ethnically insensitive manifesto on your view of cowboy action shooting clothing, which is a world wide sport.

Second, if you wish to discuss period correctness, do some research. The 19th century saw the height of English imperialism in the world, "the sun will never set on the British Empire" is more than just an expression, because at this time in the world, it was quite literally true, the empire was so expansive that it was always daylight somewhere in the empire. This meant there were Scottish regiments stationed around the world, units wearing kilts across the world, not just in Scotland. There were (and are still are in some cases) kilted regiments from, England, South Africa, Austraila, Canada, and the United States. Just to name few. You really think these men were embarrassed of the uniform they wore? As for regiments in the U.S., check out the 79th New York Highlanders active from 1858 to 1876, They wore kilts for their dress uniform. And the regiment was active for service thoughout the Civil War. The 79th came into existence though the New Calidonian Society of New York. These people were proud of their heritage, as are those of us descended from Scots today and they wore kilts as an expression of that heritage. This was an immigrant nation and for the most part these immigrants were proud of who they were and where they had come from.

Finally, just because your idea of the period is confined to what you have seen on TV, doesn't make it right or even informed for that matter. But trying to enforce that view on others is plain wrong. I take costuming for this sport very seriously, but I do it for my own enjoyment, I generally do not attempt to enforce my views or opinions on others, except In cases such as this.

I think, based upon MY experiences in Cowboy Action Shooting, that most shooters enjoy some creative period costuming.

1st Place - Best Dressed Man 2009 SASS Convention (in a kilt)

2nd Place - B-Western Costume 2009 SASS Convention

1st Place - Military Costume 2011 SASS Convention (in a kilt)

1st Place - B-Western Costume 2011 SASS Convention

I've only been able to make it two conventions, but I won't list all of the other costume contests over the years. But from the people I have met and seen at convention, regionals and state matches, while wearing a kilt, responses have been great, and if so many people think as you do, how do you explain the awards for costuming?

I said it previously and I'll say it again. Kilts are period to the time and the region. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it is MY heritage and I am proud of it.

Timber Jack Thompson - Clans MacTavish and Keith

Veritas Vincit

Hey Mr. Brules,

How did you do at your regional match??

Phantom

Nevermind Mr. Brules, I looked at the scores. Doesn't look like you shot the match. Thought you would have since you have them listed as a member club.

Interesting...

Phantom

A....I don't think anyone would argue with the idea that those types of dress you refer to ARE of the Old West era, being pre-Civil War or close to it. For instance, I consider The Mountain Men to be a Western. I'm not really being super specific about the period represented with the clothing or in a movie. The term "cowboy" refers to the geographical region the movie is set in, really. There are many movies I'd consider 'Westerns," that don't have too many "cowboys" in them (i.e. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Shootist, etc.).

B....Sure, I agree that most would like to be as authentic as possible, and I think that's pretty much what I said.

C. As I said in my reply, the membership should strive to be as authenic in their dress. "as is practical, afordable and reasonable."

But you're right, it IS only a discussion of opinions and of course, there are no hard feelings,

Don Quixote - Charge away, lance at full ready!

The perhaps-unstated rule regarding period-correct clothing is that it means "cowboy period-correct."

Sorry, that's just flat out wrong. I quoted Shooter's Handbook #1 and it specifically states "a character or profession of the late 19th century". There's a reason your "unstated rule" is unstated, because it's not a rule. If you want to limit your costuming to strictly cowboy then by all means, do so. But don't try to force your erroneous interpretation of the rules on other people. That's DEFINITELY not the Cowboy Way.

Well, this proves it, the movie Red Sun... since there was a movie made about it, it is certainly OK to dress as a Samurai Warrior in our game. I wonder what other characters have been seen in a Western Theme movie... it seems that is all that is required to make it totally legit. Period Correct? Well, sure, so was the dress code of the Zulu Warriors and the British Army who fought with them, and I'm sure that both were represented in the US at that point in time. Polynesians, Eskimos and many, many more.. they were all period correct, but they were not a measurable part of our "Old West", certainly the Chinese and Irish were, and no doubt that there were MORE townies than Cowboys in the old west. Somehow I think that the Founders of the Game intended for us to look down the line of people at the various matches and events, and see a microcosm of what we would see if looking down the streets of a old west town. Here is a secret.... whisper it lightly.... (this game is about Cowboys)

Snakebite

Sorry, that's just flat out wrong. I quoted Shooter's Handbook #1 and it specifically states "a character or profession of the late 19th century". There's a reason your "unstated rule" is unstated, because it's not a rule. If you want to limit your costuming to strictly cowboy then by all means, do so. But don't try to force your erroneous interpretation of the rules on other people. That's DEFINITELY not the Cowboy Way.

?

First, thanks for your ethnically insensitive manifesto on your view of cowboy action shooting clothing, which is a world wide sport.

Second, if you wish to discuss period correctness, do some research. The 19th century saw the height of English imperialism in the world, "the sun will never set on the British Empire" is more than just an expression, because at this time in the world, it was quite literally true, the empire was so expansive that it was always daylight somewhere in the empire. This meant there were Scottish regiments stationed around the world, units wearing kilts across the world, not just in Scotland. There were (and are still are in some cases) kilted regiments from, England, South Africa, Austraila, Canada, and the United States. Just to name few. You really think these men were embarrassed of the uniform they wore? As for regiments in the U.S., check out the 79th New York Highlanders active from 1858 to 1876, They wore kilts for their dress uniform. And the regiment was active for service thoughout the Civil War. The 79th came into existence though the New Calidonian Society of New York. These people were proud of their heritage, as are those of us descended from Scots today and they wore kilts as an expression of that heritage. This was an immigrant nation and for the most part these immigrants were proud of who they were and where they had come from.

Finally, just because your idea of the period is confined to what you have seen on TV, doesn't make it right or even informed for that matter. But trying to enforce that view on others is plain wrong. I take costuming for this sport very seriously, but I do it for my own enjoyment, I generally do not attempt to enforce my views or opinions on others, except In cases such as this.

I think, based upon MY experiences in Cowboy Action Shooting, that most shooters enjoy some creative period costuming.

1st Place - Best Dressed Man 2009 SASS Convention (in a kilt)

2nd Place - B-Western Costume 2009 SASS Convention

1st Place - Military Costume 2011 SASS Convention (in a kilt)

1st Place - B-Western Costume 2011 SASS Convention

I've only been able to make it two conventions, but I won't list all of the other costume contests over the years. But from the people I have met and seen at convention, regionals and state matches, while wearing a kilt, responses have been great, and if so many people think as you do, how do you explain the awards for costuming?

I said it previously and I'll say it again. Kilts are period to the time and the region. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it is MY heritage and I am proud of it.

Timber Jack Thompson - Clans MacTavish and Keith

Veritas Vincit

Jack,

My "ethnically insensitive manifesto"? Believe me, if it were, there would be no doubt in anyone's mind about that, but it certainly was no such thing! I think you are taking this much too personally ...... please don't do that. My opinion is not an attack or bias against your's or anyone else's ethnic, racial, regional, etc., etc. heritage. If it were, believe you me, I'd have no qualms saying so! But it's not.

Yes, CAS is a world-wide sport, but I doubt any participants would say that a suit of armor or dressing as a Japenese Samurai (remember that old Charles Bronson western?), a French Foreign Legion uniform or a camo outfit is appropriate. I don't think it's appropriate, anyway.

This is my opinion and I will defend my opinion in spite of any pile-on naysayers who wish to attack me personally (this comment is not aimed at you, Jack), just as I will defend anyone who is being attacked in such a manner, even if I disagree with their position.

Jack, you don't have to agree with me any more than I must agree with you. It's a discussion and these things don't need to become unpleasent.

I am proud of my ethnic heritage as well, but since that heritage is not, in my opinion, "cowboy-" or "western-appropriate", I don't believe it is appropriate to wear the clothing associated with my heritage for Cowboy Action Shooting. So, I would not.

As far as the awards being given to those dressed in what I consider inappropriate attire, I diagree that those awards were appropriately given. And, since they were awarded, that's just the way it is, but my opinion stands. As I said, you don't have to agree with me any more than I must agree with you, but I trust we may still converse and offer support for one another. In keeping with that, if the sport allows you to wear a kilt to shoot in, then by all means wear it.

Philly,

Why don't you take a couple deep breaths into a paper sack and re-read what you wrote? "force (my) erroneous interpretation," huh? Your interpretation is okay, right? :lol: Give me a minute to stop laughing here, okay? I am positive you are a good guy, Philly and I don't want to engage in an ugly back-and-forth with you. Your interepretation and your opinion, are as good as mine and neither of them are "erroneous."

"The Cowboy Way?" I'm glad you brought that up. Seems to me that recently (last few days) there was a topic posted here by someone who wanted a definition of, "The Cowboy Way," I was going to throw in my 2-cents worth, but I guess the rest of the topic replies (which I did not read) turned into a dog fight and the topic was deleted ("hidden" is the term) before I could press the "post" button for my reply. Wow! :lol: The Cowboy Way ......... ? I know what it is and try to live it. It's not just "the cowboy way," either. Philly, I know you wouldn't do this, but unfortunately, though, I do see the term bandied about inappropriately when one is attempting to shout down, intimidate or bully another member on this site.

Yeah, I think yer right, Cowboy Rick!! I guess Don Quixote is probably accurate. Gotta stop this.......no more "kilts" for me. :lol:

Philly,

Why don't you take a couple deep breaths into a paper sack and re-read what you wrote? "force (my) erroneous interpretation," huh? Your interpretation is okay, right? :lol: Give me a minute to stop laughing here, okay? I am positive you are a good guy, Philly and I don't want to engage in an ugly back-and-forth with you. Your interepretation and your opinion, are as good as mine and neither of them are "erroneous."

"The Cowboy Way?" I'm glad you brought that up. Seems to me that recently (last few days) there was a topic posted here by someone who wanted a definition of, "The Cowboy Way," I was going to throw in my 2-cents worth, but I guess the rest of the topic replies (which I did not read) turned into a dog fight and the topic was deleted ("hidden" is the term) before I could press the "post" button for my reply. Wow! :lol: The Cowboy Way ......... ? I know what it is and try to live it. It's not just "the cowboy way," either. Philly, I know you wouldn't do this, but unfortunately, though, I do see the term bandied about inappropriately when one is attempting to shout down, intimidate or bully another member on this site.

Yeah, I think yer right, Cowboy Rick!! I guess Don Quixote is probably accurate. Gotta stop this.......no more "kilts" for me. :lol:

You can laugh all you want, you're still wrong. I didn't give you my interpretation, I gave you a direct quote from the Shooter's Handbook. What you did was try to impart your own opinion of how this game is supposed to be played and tried to pass it off as an "unspoken rule". Like I said, there's a reason it's unspoken, because it's not a rule.

By and large I am a nice guy, but I get my hackles up when someone tries to force thier opinion on me. It especially irks me when they try to disguise it as a rule.

Personally, I think ...

At what percentage (combined) of kilts, Irish tam hats, swim suits, silly prison stripes, 60's style business suits, Wonder Woman outfits, German leather short pants and you-name-it get ups are you willing to tolerate before it's no longer "Cowboy Action Shooting," but instead, "Halloween Action Shooting" with old guns?

First, comparing a historically correct kilt to a Wonder Woman outfit, is highly offensive, and likely to be taken personally.

So, it's fine for you to claim, you were just stating your opinion and it's not personal. But, that statement is somewhat disingenuous in light of such a comparison.

You don't like kilts and don't feel they are "cowboy". That's an OK opinion and does not cast aspersions. I happen to disagree.

What, I am trying to point out is just because you feel that way, please don't try and claim it's because they are not "period", they are and there is a lot of evidence to that effect.

It's fine to have your perspective that you don't like kilts ect, because you simply don't like them and doesn't fit with YOUR definition of Cowboy.

But please don't confuse your view with being historically accurate reflection of the 19th century American West. Most people in the West were NOT Cowboys, they were a minority.

You and some others just want everyone to dress as old time cowboys, but to me that's like trying to do civil war battle reenactments with everyone dressed as a union soldier. It only represents a one segment of the period and fails to fully depict what happened during a particular time period and who the parties were that really helped to shape history.

In short we disagree on what SASS is: I say it's a celebration of the 19th century American West and all of the colorful characters that lived in it. And for you it's about everyone dressing and being a Cowboy.

I would just ask that while you might not like others views of the sport, that you be constructive and not offensive. Thank you.

Timber Jack Thompson

IMHO we paint with a pretty broad brush when it comes to Cowboy Action Shooting costuming and I think that is a good thing. Like it or not were not reennacters (however you spell it) we're playing a game. Look around you at the match this weekend. Aren't there some great outfits our pards wear that look great but might not be totally period correct? I myself like to converse with a cowgirl dressed like a saloon girl when she comes over to the unload table. I'd never dress B Western, but would never criticize anyone else for doing so. I usually dress as a 49er (he weren't no cowboy) or a 1870's bison hunter (he weren't no cowboy either) and to me that's about a third of why I love this sport so much. I get to play the part of an old west character that I would have loved to been. The guy wearing the kilt is doing the same thing. The guy wearing the British officers uniform, or the railroad conductor, the prisoner, the school marm, the rebel wearing the kepi, the scout wearing the fringed buckskins, the fireman, the Indian, the vaquero, the brothel inspector and on and on.

This thing we love so much would die very quickly, IMO, if there were hard fast rules enforced that eliminate most of the above. We'd pretty much all look the same.

Ya, my wife would probably frown on Wonder Woman or any other DC character at a sass match.

Full disclosure... My wife leans more to the steampunk side when she dresses for a match. That being said, she has dressed as a steampunk version of Rogue from the x-men. To most, it looked like she was dressed in a green and gold dress and corset outfit with some gears in an x shape on it and a white feather in her hair. But if you knew who the x-men were, you would totally see what she was going after.

But she is a Marvel fan. She has another outfit that is a take on Iron Man.

She would probably not go for the Wonder Woman look herself. But done right, she might tip her hat to it.

Point is, if you go straight authentic cowboy, then you exclude steampunk, towns folk, and the like. Heck, I have even heard of a guy who dresses as a member of a California fire brigade, complete with a reproduction of a 19th century leather fire helmet. Kind of looks cool, but it ain't a cowboy.

Branchwater - I agree with you.

I do not mean to say that only "period" stuff is OK, in rereading my comments I could see them taken that way, but that was not my intent.

I think the steampunk stuff is cool and fits well with our game and brings in more people, it's the variety in costuming that makes this game fun.

TJT

Philly,

So...why weren't you at the Regional?

Were you working the event???

Just curious.

Phantom

I can just picture a lady shooter showing up in a Hijab and Burka, and her husband in his Thobe and Ghutra.

wow, you make a great point that perhaps some might want to consider

just cuz of the 1800's would it really help the whole of COWBOY action shooting as a whole

just sayin :o:o:o

I've read all the posts, and some interesting posts there have been. In the "cowboy era" the "cowboys" were mostly teen agers, or early 20s, most weighing less than 140 lbs. Take a look at our demographics, how many fit that description. Obviously if "cowboys" survived past their mid 20s, they moved on to other professions. Personally I think this whole question isn't worth the length it has run. If you don't want to wear a kilt, don't.

You can laugh all you want, you're still wrong. I didn't give you my interpretation, I gave you a direct quote from the Shooter's Handbook. What you did was try to impart your own opinion of how this game is supposed to be played and tried to pass it off as an "unspoken rule". Like I said, there's a reason it's unspoken, because it's not a rule.

By and large I am a nice guy, but I get my hackles up when someone tries to force thier opinion on me. It especially irks me when they try to disguise it as a rule.

Well said!

Phantom

Who still thinks some folks don't really play the game...they are...Wire Wranglers!!!

perhaps it should be allowed in h0nor of this here feller

At the World's Fair in Paris in l889, Hopkins was approached by Rau Rasmussen, a freighter who dominated most of the trade from Aden to Gaza, to enter his Paint Mustang in a three-thousand-mile endurance race across the Arabian desert. Rasmussen had heard of the American mustangs' hardiness and asked Hopkins if he would be willing to pit one of his best against prized Arabian horses. Hopkins accepted the challenge. The desert endurance race was a true test of a horse's strength and stamina. To be able to complete the course, a horse must have a healthy constitution, incredible power, a staunch spirit, strong legs, and sure steps. Beginning in Aden, in southern Arabia, the course followed the Persian Gulf and then turned inland over the barren sandy land along the borders of Arabia, Iraq, and Syria.

Theshow had been held annually for a thousand years, and in the past had always been won by an Arab horse. In the words of Anthony A. Amaral, writing of this famous race:

Slightly over one hundred horses started on the ride from Aden. The great caravan of skilled Arabian riders rode their most prized mounts. They were spirited, accustomed to the dljcficulty of the sands, accustomed to the sun that sprayed exhausting heat upon them. Even among the mass of mounted horsemen, Hopkins stood out with parti-colored, 950 pound Hidalgo from the American plains.

Hopkins held Hidalgo at a steady pace as they made their way through the dry heat and over sandy soil. The march progressed to the Persian Gulf and up toward Syria and then along the border of Iraq and Arabia. Each day the riders started with the sun, following it until they were marching into it. Horses dropped by the way, some exhausted, some lame. At the end of the first week, the scarcity of water and the meager diet the horses were forced to exist upon in the barren country had culled the inadequate horses. The strung line of riders dwindled daily.

Entering the second week of the grueling trek, Hopkins made his move and started to pass the other desert riders. In the wake of the sand kicked up by Hidalgo, treasured Arabian horses of the Bedouins fell farther and farther behind, while Hidalgo kept to a steady pace.

On the sixty-eighth day of the ride Hopkins rode Hidalgo to the finish stone, leaving behind him three thousand scorching miles.

The tough Paint Mustang was the winner by thirty-three hours over his nearest competitor.

MM, I never said that it shouldn't be allowed. Talk about a pregnant pause and I'll bet that you could hear a pin drop.

Archived