SASS Wire Forum

Kilts

Deputy Dangit

Then again shooting Ruger pistols, an Italian rifle, a Chinese shotgun, and wearing rolled up sleeved striped banded collar shirts with a Gus hats and a pair of Levi's 550s with Dan Post boots, canted holsters designed specifically for speed, and a shotgun belt doubling as a bra? Yeah that's straight out of 1884 alright.

Sarcasm aside, I like to see authentic costumes. With the myriad of occupations and nationalities in the 1865-1899 time frame, and the massive geographic area of the 'Old West', I'd opt for originality, I think it's cool.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEVER ON A WINDY DAY!!! I DON"T WANNA KNOW!!

Like it or not Kilts are period. If you don't like it don't wear one, but don't whine about it.

I have shot several state matches and a regional while wearing one.

I won the North and South Dakota State SASS match overall, a couple of years back and shot the entire match in a Kilt.

Some period photos of Kilts in the USA in the 19th century:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f99/kilts-19th-century-usa-68811/

TJT

Aye, an a fine figure you and JP cast as connoisseurs of fine scotch whiskey as well!

CR

Then again shooting Ruger pistols, an Italian rifle, a Chinese shotgun, and wearing rolled up sleeved striped banded collar shirts with a Gus hats and a pair of Levi's 550s with Dan Post boots, canted holsters designed specifically for speed, and a shotgun belt doubling as a bra? Yeah that's straight out of 1884 alright.

Sarcasm aside, I like to see authentic costumes. With the myriad of occupations and nationalities in the 1865-1899 time frame, and the massive geographic area of the 'Old West', I'd opt for originality, I think it's cool.

Well said. Period.

After the unfortunate dust-up at Culloden Moor, Clan McBane got a FREE RIDE to the New World, sans the plaid and the claymore, as Intentures (why I am in favor of reparations for slavery! LOL!). Sadly, our Masters met with untimely and unnatural deaths, and since then Clan McBane has had a limited sense of humor. However, the Clan tartan appears to have been designed by a blind drunk Irishman!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Mr. Pettifogger, in regards to "That doesn't make it appropriate attire for a SASS match."

I recall being at a Minnesota State Championship a few years back. Cat Ballou was announcing the winners of the costume contest at the awards banquet. J. P. won one of the categories, I think it was the Military Uniform Category but might be wrong about that. I do remember that Cat was very impressed with this cowboy's attire. Are there any Minnesotans who were there and remember that? Apparently Cat thought it was appropriate.

Also on Page 5 of the February 2013 Chronicle there is a picture of Dominator SASS 62912. It reads he "really gets into character at the Florida State Championship, The Siege at St. Augustine, held this January. His costume is that of a Spanish soldier from the 16th Century, complete with sword. However, he did wear a brace of sixguns when he competed in the match in the Cowboy Category." That's not even the correct century. Real nice picture of him, though, and he looks great.

So -- We don't believe what we read in the Chronicle and we don' listen to what Cat says??

In a heavy Scottish accent.

"They can take our lives, but they can't take our freedom!"

....Clan McBane has had a limited sense of humor. However, the Clan tartan appears to have been designed by a blind drunk Irishman!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Hey!!! Hey!!! Hey!!!

Wellllll......ok, you may be right.

EC

Ain't nothing can be done about it..... I guess. I've never liked it. If you don't want to play Cowboy, then don't... the Scottish Games would be a good place. This this is no different than the Baseball team uniforms, Hawaiian shirts, shorts, a British Soldier from India, or a Big Game Hunter ..... bla, bla, bla. The dress code has NEVER been enforced the way it was intended... I realized that when I watched a girl shoot in a Speedo Bathing suit, the Blues Brothers win the Costume contest, shooter dressed like a Space Man and on and on and on... all at EOT no less! So... looking at it from that view point.. I guess that a Kilt is not so bad after all. But IMO.. they all seem to forget that:

THIS IS COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING.

Snakebite

I'm pretty sure that the Scottish character Actor Bernard Fox (a.k.a. Dr. Bombay on "Bewitched") at the beginning of Big Jake is wearing a kilt. If it's in a John Wayne movie, I'd say you're good to go!

Really? Since when is Hollywood period correct?

Wouldnt it be fun to have a "Scotsman" category and sr. Scotsman of course on the club level. All who can trace ancestors to a recognized klan could wear the appeopriate kilt with accoutrements. That would liven things up ! I am of the Gregor klan the "Children of the Mist" (Mc or Mac means klan). Anyother other Gregors out there plase give me a shout. Btw we have full blown Highland Games Scottish Heritage Festival in Minden La. Area in the spring. It is worth the trip !

I'm pretty sure that the Scottish character Actor Bernard Fox (a.k.a. Dr. Bombay on "Bewitched") at the beginning of Big Jake is wearing a kilt. If it's in a John Wayne movie, I'd say you're good to go!

Yes, he was in the movie but he was a sheep herder. He wasn't a cowboy. The title of this sport is COWBOY action shooting.

Hmmmm, don't see anything in the rule books that specifies costumes have to be "cowboy". As a matter of fact, Handbook #1 pretty much gives carte blanche NOT to be cowboy:

The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star, and develop a costume accordingly.

Groundskeeper Willie said it best: "Now, the kilt was only for day-to-day wear. In battle, we donned a full-length ball gown covered in sequins. The idea was to blind your opponent with luxury!"

Of course, the Scots wore kilts for centuries before they helped populate America. The kilt was for everyday wear. Ergo; kilts were in the old west.

Cheers,

FJT

I dunno what it is about this topic but I find this one of the more fascinating ones to come up occasionally on the Wire. Usually it's the refrain of 'It's *cowboy* action shooting.' Well by definition, then we couldn't dress like John Wayne as Captain Brittles from She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. He's a soldier, not a cowboy. We couldn't do up a Texas Ranger or a US Marshal like Rooster Cogburn or Wyatt Earp, they're lawmen not cowboys. No Tom Horn impressions, he was a shootist, not a cowboy. No Billy the Kid, he was an outlaw, not a cowboy. Doc Holliday was a dentist and gambler, not a cowboy. No saloon girls or Victorian ladies, cause they're not cowboys. No one dressed in city duds emulating JP Morgan, they were city folk or captains of industry, not cowboys. Harry Flashman? No, he was a soldier and fictional, not a cowboy. http://www.literary-liaisons.com/article007.html Those guys? Nah, they're not cowboy enough. Joseph Finch, Earl of Aylesford. He moved to Big Spring, Texas in 1883. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffi34

I realize a lot of this is hyperbole, but when you limit the game to merely *cowboys* because of the title, you're skipping the flavor, and noting what Philly Slim posted above, you're limiting what's even in the rule book.

Hmmmm......I'm thinking a kilt could be one of the additional "costume" items required to be worn that will be allowed in the VERY SOON TO BE ADOPTED......Baptist Steampunk Duelist category.

But I could be wrong. At least that's what my wife often says. <_<

EC

Whew, I'm glad we got this resolved. Since the United States is home to every Nationality then, except for a couple of costuming categories, any costume from anywhere on earth is an acceptable SASS costume.

Apparently. ;)

As long as it's "PERIOD".

Hmmmm, don't see anything in the rule books that specifies costumes have to be "cowboy". As a matter of fact, Handbook #1 pretty much gives carte blanche NOT to be cowboy:

The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star, and develop a costume accordingly.

Eggsackerly!! I note that few of you that seem so deadset against British officers, Scotsmen or even Germans quoting the "Cowboy" don't seen to mind bankers in bowlers, barmaids sans bras or any number of other deviations from "Cowboy". So frankly, that dog don't hunt. I've know a few 60 & 70+ year old cowboys...

I guess if you want to wear a dress, you should be able to. :ph34r:

Fillmore

Yup, I've seen kilts at regional

Not sure who the gent in the middle is but the other two are jp and tjt. Two cowboys I'm honored to shoot with fairly regularly.

Ifwe all had to dress like cowboys it would get old really quickly. No bankers, soldiers, railroad.men... Oh yeah there also wouldn't be any saloon girls... I think ill take the variety

Evil - the shooter in the middle of the photo is Slick McClade, an excellent shooter and a fun guy. That pic was at Comin' At Cha a couple of years ago.

I agree: variety of costuming is part of what makes this game fun.

TJT

Even not being Scot or of Scottish origin I sometimes shoot wearing a kilt (Wallace Clan as it was the first I found on ebay -Hunting tartan for day wear, Formal for evening) and I love wearing it, I even wear a sporran everyday (with my jeans!!!)

Evil - the shooter in the middle of the photo is Slick McClade, an excellent shooter and a fun guy. That pic was at Comin' At Cha a couple of years ago.

I agree: variety of costuming is part of what makes this game fun.

TJT

Crap i am embarrassed now, i have the guys number on speed dial just in case something happens to my rifle, and i didn't even know what he looks like

Crap i am embarrassed now, i have the guys number on speed dial just in case something happens to my rifle, and i didn't even know what he looks like

Evil, don't feel bad, I've met him several times, had him do my pistol sights, and I thought it was him but wasn't sure enough to say so on here :D I really suck at names.

I guess grass skirts should be acceptable too, because at least Hawaii, unlike Scotland, became a part of the United States in the 19th century.

Aloha.

I guess grass skirts should be acceptable too, because at least Hawaii, unlike Scotland, became a part of the United States in the 19th century.

Aloha.

And Hawaii is about as far west as you can go. ;)

Don't beat yourself up too bad, Slick's got a face that's worth forgetting. :P

Cool info, thanks for adding something interesting to the discussion.

TJT

Whew, I'm glad we got this resolved. Since the United States is home to every Nationality then, except for a couple of costuming categories, any costume from anywhere on earth is an acceptable SASS costume.

it wood appear that is the trend

Sure there were Scots and there were plenty of Germans and other groups too. Even so, someone of German ancestry wearing shorts, a shirt with a set of H supenders and a traditionl hat with a feather ain't cowboy. Like I said the "period correct" argument can be used to justify anything as having been in existence in the 1800s. That doesn't make it appropriate attire for a SASS match.

I love ya too, Larsen, but I have to disagree with you also...by your definition....Victorian dresses aren't "cowboy" and wouldn't be appropriate for a SASS match.

Now...here's my answer to the original question based on the rule book........Quoted from page 2..."clothing must be typical of the late 19th century...." If it existed in the 19th century...it's legal. Frankly, as a costume judge...I enjoy seeing folks step out of the box...using their imagination...not wearing the same thing that everyone else is wearing.

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

I love ya too, Larsen, but I have to disagree with you also...by your definition....Victorian dresses aren't "cowboy" and wouldn't be appropriate for a SASS match.

Now...here's my answer to the original question based on the rule book........Quoted from page 2..."clothing must be typical of the late 19th century...." If it existed in the 19th century...it's legal. Frankly, as a costume judge...I enjoy seeing folks step out of the box...using their imagination...not wearing the same thing that everyone else is wearing.

If some guy wants to wear a Victorian dress, who I am to argue?

Archived