SASS Wire Forum

Kilts

Deputy Dangit

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The womens can wear skirts! Honestly, I think this celebrates our countries diversified ethnic heritage. And it is period correct.

Shameless

If it's a sunny day, be kind and bring sunglasses for the rest of the competitors!

I would see nothing wrong in wearing it to a banquet, it's been done plenty before. But I don't know that I'd do a match in one. That's just my opinion.

No rule against it really. I'm sure there were some kilts worn in the old west somewhere.

Shooter's Handbook.
Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series...
....ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B Western movies and television.

I'm pretty sure that the Scottish character Actor Bernard Fox (a.k.a. Dr. Bombay on "Bewitched") at the beginning of Big Jake is wearing a kilt. If it's in a John Wayne movie, I'd say you're good to go!

24774-1688.gif

I'm pretty sure that the Scottish character Actor Bernard Fox (a.k.a. Dr. Bombay on "Bewitched") at the beginning of Big Jake is wearing a kilt. If it's in a John Wayne movie, I'd say you're good to go!

Yikes! Wear a kilt and git yore neck stretched? Seems extreme. :lol: :lol:

The "period correct" argument covers pretty much everything. However, the "period" we are recreating is the American west, not the Scottish highlands, Germany, England or anywhere else.

D.Dangit, sounds like a rather lame attempt to get out of brass picking to me.

:lol:

I'd allow it! Would really make it uncomfortable to sit on your spurs, though. And be real careful when taking your dallies.

Good luck, GJ

According to the rule book, B western is the only category that requires male participants to wear pants.

Ask me how I know!

But couldn't a B Western shooter wear a dress and bonnet like Marlin Brando in Missouri Breaks? Sounds B Western to me!

Can't remember the name of the "Western Movie" but it had Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara & Brian Keith, Keith's character was a Scotsman who had a cattle ranch in the American west and in at least one scene he wore what I think was his old Regimental Uniform including a Kilt.

A "Genuine Certified Western Movie" reference.

Kilts were worn by some Scots in the old west. There was a thread with a rew older pics a couple years ago.

I'm Clan MacLeod and wore my "Loud MacLeod" tartan kilt at a monthly last year, would also do it at regional or state, depending on mood - variety is the spice of life!

Heritage. Seems to me we celebrate that, and the old west was an international melting pot - as I read history.

Harvey

In "Beyond The Wide Missouri" starring Clark Gable, there was a Scotsman mountain man that on special occasions wore his kilt.

Blackfoot, I'd be careful who I said that around. Those Scotsmen & Irishmen can get dowright cantankerous about their kilts. ;)

The "period correct" argument covers pretty much everything. However, the "period" we are recreating is the American west, not the Scottish highlands, Germany, England or anywhere else.

There were Scotsmen in the American west... and I have no doubt that some were known to wear their traditional attire if circumstance dictated.

Blackfoot, I'm sure you were just attempting to make a funny turn of a phrase... Which in this instance is a blatant ethnic slur.

There were Scotsmen in the American west... and I have no doubt that some were known to wear their traditional attire if circumstance dictated.

Blackfoot, I'm sure you were just attempting to make a funny turn of a phrase... Which in this instance is a blatant ethnic slur.

Sure there were Scots and there were plenty of Germans and other groups too. Even so, someone of German ancestry wearing shorts, a shirt with a set of H supenders and a traditionl hat with a feather ain't cowboy. Like I said the "period correct" argument can be used to justify anything as having been in existence in the 1800s. That doesn't make it appropriate attire for a SASS match.

But couldn't a B Western shooter wear a dress and bonnet like Marlin Brando in Missouri Breaks? Sounds B Western to me!

Ladies, by rule, are the only ones who can wear a skirt in the catgory.

If he so desires, A gentleman can wear a prarie maiden dress in any category they want to except B Western. :lol:

I know we are being funny here, but, by rule, Brando's outfit does not meet any of the requirements for B-Western shooters, either male or female.

• Costuming: Shirts must be of the "B" Western style with snap buttons or any of the following: "Smiley Pockets," embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored yokes. Shield shirts are also allowed if it has piping or embroidery.

• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt loops, and/or piping or fringe.

• Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw hats. Hats must be worn.

• Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. "NO Lug") soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.

• Western Spurs with rowels are required for men. Ladies may wear skirts or split riding skirts.

Sure there were Scots and there were plenty of Germans and other groups too. Even so, someone of German ancestry wearing shorts, a shirt with a set of H supenders and a traditionl hat with a feather ain't cowboy. Like I said the "period correct" argument can be used to justify anything as having been in existence in the 1800s. That doesn't make it appropriate attire for a SASS match.

I love ya, Larson, but I have to beg to differ with you on this one. There was a lot of diversity in the old west as mentioned earlier in this thread. Scots, Germans, etc were all active participants in the old west and the cowboy way of life and they wore their traditional clothing as well. Two years ago at Winter Range, I wore a traditional Bavarian (German) dirndl costume and won third place in the costume contest. Someone named SourKraut should be able to remain loyal to her heritage, while at the same time maintaining the old west spirit.

Ladies, by rule, are the only ones who can wear a skirt in the catgory.

If he so desires, A gentleman can wear a prarie maiden dress in any category they want to except B Western. :lol:

I know we are being funny here, but, by rule, Brando's outfit does not meet any of the requirements for B-Western shooters, either male or female.

• Costuming: Shirts must be of the "B" Western style with snap buttons or any of the following: "Smiley Pockets," embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored yokes. Shield shirts are also allowed if it has piping or embroidery.

• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt loops, and/or piping or fringe.

• Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw hats. Hats must be worn.

• Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. "NO Lug") soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.

• Western Spurs with rowels are required for men. Ladies may wear skirts or split riding skirts.

If he wore anything under it,it's a skirt. Otherwise, it's a kilt :D

I just don't know of much history of the wearing of kilts in the old west or in B westerns. Someone might wear them if they felt the need to bring out their feminine side. :D

Lafitte

There ain't NOTHING feminine about a kilt!!!!!

Like others have said, some Scots will take offense at that comment. So much so, in fact, that if we were sitting across from one another right now we'd be going to blows. I don't tell racist jokes and I don't make ethnic slurs, and I expect to receive the same in return.

If he wore anything under it,it's a skirt. Otherwise, it's a kilt :D

As a kilt-wearing piper (for over 35 years I might add), I can attest only for myself that nothing is worn under my kilt....everything is in PERFECT working order.

EC

I couple of years ago I was on a posse at the Missouri State Championship in Branson Mo with 4-5 men in Kilts. It was a hoot. The match director didn't say a word.

... Those Scotsmen & Irishmen can get downright cantankerous about their kilts. ;)

Now, now, now, laddie... Scots wear their kilts, Irishers wear their mommies' dresses. :)

:P

BTW, the clan ancestors were in SoCal shortly after the Civil War. We've no idea if they brought kilts. However, it's certain they had whisky.

Whew, I'm glad we got this resolved. Since the United States is home to every Nationality then, except for a couple of costuming categories, any costume from anywhere on earth is an acceptable SASS costume.

Whew, I'm glad we got this resolved. Since the United States is home to every Nationality then, except for a couple of costuming categories, any costume from anywhere on earth is an acceptable SASS costume.

Apparently. ;)

Can't imagine kilts were very popular on horseback ridin through the brush. :D

Like it or not Kilts are period. If you don't like it don't wear one, but don't whine about it.

I have shot several state matches and a regional while wearing one.

I won the North and South Dakota State SASS match overall, a couple of years back and shot the entire match in a Kilt.

Some period photos of Kilts in the USA in the 19th century:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f99/kilts-19th-century-usa-68811/

TJT

Archived