SASS Wire Forum

.38 bullet for 1873 Rifle

Twitchy

I know this has been discussed, probably to death, but can someone recommend a good .38/.357 RNFP for feeding in my 1873 Taylor clone? I have a couple thousand 125's that are really more of a stubby SWC that jam every time. It was one of their slicked up versions by Cody Conagher, so I'm pretty confident its the bullet not the rifle.

I can use the 125's for pistol, so I'm not upset about that, but really want something reliable for feeding. I tried Remington UMC RNL (just to feed, not to shoot) and they fed fine. I could only fit 8 or 9 at the most in the magazine though, maybe because of the longer bullet length, I don't know. I would like to get ten in the tube.

Using smokeless powder, and I'm not new to reloading pistol cartridges. I'm not as concerned with economy as much as reliability. Would like to be able to purchase 25 or 30 for a trial but will take a chance on a recommendation for 500 if I have to. I just would rather spend money on shipping once than a couple times. Thanks, Twitchy

Do you reload now.I have some that I will send you to try.Both my 73s run them great and AOL of 1.50.They will run them shorter or longer but my 92s like 1.50.PM me your address and I will drop a few in the mail.If you just want to know what works,Go to Lone Star Bullets,2nd Chance Bullets(they or down now) Parker Bullet.There are so many.Als 125s and 157s work great in my Cody.I have done 2nd Chance 105 gr,125gr and 158 gr. and they all run good.There are a lot more good cowboy bullets that you can try.You will have to find what your 73 likes.My Cody will run all most anything.

What is your OAL?

I use Bear Creek molly coated bullets: 125gr RNFP. I load mine to 1.51 OAL and they work great!

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I know this has been discussed, probably to death, but can someone recommend a good .38/.357 RNFP for feeding in my 1873 Taylor clone? I have a couple thousand 125's that are really more of a stubby SWC that jam every time. It was one of their slicked up versions by Cody Conagher, so I'm pretty confident its the bullet not the rifle.

I can use the 125's for pistol, so I'm not upset about that, but really want something reliable for feeding. I tried Remington UMC RNL (just to feed, not to shoot) and they fed fine. I could only fit 8 or 9 at the most in the magazine though, maybe because of the longer bullet length, I don't know. I would like to get ten in the tube.

Using smokeless powder, and I'm not new to reloading pistol cartridges. I'm not as concerned with economy as much as reliability. Would like to be able to purchase 25 or 30 for a trial but will take a chance on a recommendation for 500 if I have to. I just would rather spend money on shipping once than a couple times. Thanks, Twitchy

I bet you dollars to donuts that I know which bullet you're using and if so, it will not load out long enough to work in the 73. I'm sending you a PM with "the cure."

I think you will find that Truncated Cone Flat Point bullets will always feed best in Lever Guns. Just pick one that will seat properly at your needed OAL. Somewhere between 125;s and 158's should get the job done.

RBK

125 TC crimped in the crimp groove is what I use. I also have used 105 TC crimped in the crimp groove as well. Both cycle as fast as I can lever them in my 73.

There are several good bullet vendors here on the Wire that make quality cast bullets. Choose one of these vendors and buy some TC and try them. I think you'll find that they work well in your 73.

You live in NE Ohio, you have 2 good casters to contact:

Lifer (Patriot Casting) has a good 125 or 130 grain truncated cone.

Doc Adams (Appalachian Bullet Company) has a good 125 grain RNFP.

I like both and they both feed well in my Taylor's Trapper (which is what I think you have). I buy from whoever I see first when I need to restock. Although, I do prefer the RNFP by a little bit.

Doc Adams has some small sample packs, I assume Lifer has some of the same. I don't have their numbers handy at the moment. I am sure someone else will chime in shortly.

There isn't much you can do with the bullets you have except load them in your handguns. For the rifle I suggest my rifle customer use 105Gr Truncated Cone, 125Gr Truncated Cone Or 130Gr Truncated Cone. Crimped in the crimp groove, they feed flawlessly in Toggle Link Rifles chambered for .38/.357

Coffinmaker

I disagree with the folks that say a 105 TC and a 125 TC crimped in the crimp groove with fun flawlessly..

Please bare with me..

That is the bullet that I shoot in my '66's.. they are 1.435 OAL in the crimp groove

and they run flawlessly...

Just got a custom '73 18" barrel.... They locked up the rifle on the first round..

Loaded up some 1.50 OAL.. Locked it up on the first round..

Finally loaded up some 1.80 OAL.. finally cycled...

Talking with the supplier of the gun.. the ramp & angle has to be redone..

They forgot to do that :angry:

I very cautiously reworked the ramp... kept comparing it to the '66 ramp angle & depth.. :blink:

My '73 will now run the 105 TC or 125 TC flawlessly at an OAL of 1.435 :)

I needed this OAL because that's the OAL that Lacey's (my wife) Marlin rifle uses.. :blush:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes ;)

...Just got a custom '73 18" barrel.... They locked up the rifle on the first round..

Finally loaded up some 1.80 OAL.. finally cycled......

Cowboy Rance, I'm guessing you just made a type on that 1.80 OAL. That length will never feed in any '66 or '73. Maybe you meant 1.60?

I disagree with the folks that say a 105 TC and a 125 TC crimped in the crimp groove with fun flawlessly..

Please bare with me..

That is the bullet that I shoot in my '66's.. they are 1.435 OAL in the crimp groove

and they run flawlessly...

Just got a custom '73 18" barrel.... They locked up the rifle on the first round..

Finally loaded up some 1.80 OAL.. finally cycled...

Talking with the supplier of the gun.. the ramp & angle has to be redone..

They forgot to do that :angry:

I very cautiously reworked the ramp... kept comparing it to the '66 ramp angle & depth.. :blink:

My '73 will now run the 105 TC or 125 TC flawlessly at an OAL of 1.435 :)

I needed this OAL because that's the OAL that Lacey's (my wife) Marlin rifle uses.. :blush:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes ;)

Rance, his gun was built (and finished I assume) by Cody Conagher. Any rifle that is not finished ("they forgot to do that") might hang up. That's an interesting situation you have there. My Conagher rifles always fed truncated flat points seated in the groove great...although I eventually started loading them longer to further reduce how much the next bullet had to be pushed back into the magazine by the lifter.

Cowboy Rance, I'm guessing you just made a type on that 1.80 OAL. That length will never feed in any '66 or '73. Maybe you meant 1.60?

Even 1.60 would be risky, as 1.595 is max OAL for the 357 Mag. I have had Marlins fail to feed at 1.613. Hang up on the feed tube. I don't know of any rifle needing anything in excess of 1,55., and specific 38 Spl rifles need less than that.

RBK

I load .38spl, 158gr RNFP, OAL 1.58" crimpped just below the groove.

My Rossi M92 liked that OAL and when I bought my Taylor & Co 66 short Rifle, it just gobbled them up. So why fix it if it ain't broken.

Good Luck.

Frenchy

Meister makes a 130gr TC bullet that should do the trick. Excellent bullet!

YOU....loading a .38??????????? Now we are not talking 44-40 here. ha, ha, ha. O'but maybe for that injun woman.

Shot a many Meister bullets in my earlyCAS days, would even pick up a load when I was out Phoenix for WR (company was there then). 125-130s were my choice too, but I believe I use their RFP, then went to the similar AA (then Hampton then MasterCraft--AA's mold). Lone Stars 125 TC works good for me also in all my 73s and I seat very few 38 CAS lengths at 1.50 or over (if any), most run around the 1.44-14.7 mark .BT, Hope to see you a C in Feb.

For a number of years now, I have been using 147 TCL 9mm bullets in my. 38 SPL '66's/ Marlin 1894's and they run flawlessly.....some think I am nuts using a .356 bullet.....over a good rest back to 100 yards I am gettin outstanding accuracy.

(Sometimes easier to locate )

Might work for you as well.....I'm pleased!

Bugler

Check your messages.

Thank you all for the responses, especially about OAL. I am going to try some TC's (Thanks Buck, got your PM, was tied up yesterday). Appreciate all of the positive feed back and suggestions. Now if I can remember which parts convert my 650 back to .38 I'll be cookin with gas, it's getting kinda old crankin em out one at a time.

My Cody loves the truncated cone (TC) bullets. As long as the OAL is at least 1.43" I don have any problem. Run a 110 TC tha t I get from Anvil Al. They run great in rifle and pistols. Even take down the knock downs with no problem.

I had the same problem with my Winchester 73. I had a couple of hundred 125s still in the box. After a couple of jams and some help from the wire and started looking closer at the OBL. I now use them in 357 shells and I purchased 158s for the 38s. Both work fine and both shoot fine in the Bisleys.

Archived