SASS Wire Forum

got my first chicks

Trigger Mike

today I bought 8 chicks and 2 ducklings. My children are really excited. Even the baby. I have them under a heat lamp in boxes right now until they grow some feathers and size and it warms up some. We hope to have our own eggs and chicken for supper soon. I bought some leghorns, pulets and cornish. Next I will work on building a pen and roosting place for them. I saw some ready made ones but they were 150 to 250. the 150 was designed to be light so you could move it each day to a new spot in the yard. I like being retired. I am so busy now doing things I never did before. I bought some land to shoot on with my kids only I am too busy. I had more free time when I worked 40 hours a week and drove back and forth 2 hours each day, tomorrow I need to sow grass as right before I bought the house, the septic lines had to be replaced and there is no grass on a hilly slop and it is washing on me. more busy chores to do.

If you enjoy gardening also, you might want to think about a "chicken tractor..." :rolleyes:

Google or "Wiki" it.... they're pretty cool! B)

Good luck on eating those chickens dad.

Cat

You might want to consider getting a couple of goats. They can make great pets and they will keep the broad leaf weeds cleared out. You'll need a good hog wire fence to keep them in but they are great at clearing overgrown areas. They also BBQ up pretty good.

NEVER NAME ANYTHING YOU EVER INTEND TO EAT!

DD

Yes, my wife grew up in Riverside, CA and they raised all sorts of animals - and ate 'em. She was devasted when her dad slaughtered her pet pig 'Bessie'...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

NEVER NAME ANYTHING YOU EVER INTEND TO EAT!

DD

Actually, every holiday when we get a ham or prime rib for dinner, I name it when it comes home from the grocery store.....drives my teenage daughter crazy!!!

Oh, If you get any roosters. Separate them from the hens. You can't do much with them but they make good moving lures for coyotes and bobcats. Just tie them to a stake in a field and make them angry. Wait a while and the coyotes will come running.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

today I bought 8 chicks and 2 ducklings.

Just think... if you were the band, Dire Straits... you would get money for nothin' and your chicks for free.

ts

When I was a teenager, while I was choppin' cotton and a big eastern diamondback rattle snake stuck at me.

Fortunately, I knocked the snake away with the swing of my hoe and the snakes fangs sunk into the handle. That snake was so poisonous that it caused the hoe handle to swell up so much I had enough lumber to build a chicken coop.

Unfortunately, the swelling went down and kill all my chickens!

Trigger Mike, be careful what you build your chicken coop out of.

so far they have survived and grown. I bought a good sizerabbit pen with harwire cloth all around and have them in that in the basement garage under a heat lamp. The ducks I put outside since the weather is warm enough inside a chicken wire fence. My plan is to enclose the current coop with plywood and use dog fod bowls lined with straw for nest inside it, build a small area lined with chicken wire ad bury deep enough to ward off foxes and put a roll of wire on top to keep the hawks out and let them out every morning and sut them in after dark at night. I do want to add goats to clean out some of the overgrown areas as I discovered dark black moist soil in the weed areas near the home since this used to be a cattle farm years ago before being sold a couple of times. The down side is I am now two hours from the nearest SASS match

Archived