SASS Wire Forum

Guns stolen

Snakebite

Looks like another bunch of Cowboy guns have been ripped off. El Lazo and Sinful had their truck broken into at the motel last night in Soladad.

The thief's got 5 stainless OM Rugers in 357, 4 5/8 barrels, Browning BSS, Browning 45/70 High Wall, a couple of 20 " 73s, two 97 shotguns (16ga and 12 ga) knives, ammo, two sets of leather, hats, gun cleaning box and on and on and on.

It was a clean sweep. If anyone on the west coast see some good of this stuff, let El Lazo, Sinful or me know.

Snakebite

Man! I hate to hear stuff like this. Hope some dumbass shoots himself in the leg trying to figure out how a single-action works! Start checking pawnshops up and down the state. My condolances to El Lazo and Sinful.

Find 'em - and then find a tall cottonwood tree,

a stout rope, -- opps - probably can't do that anymore.

- Boneyard Bill

It may be a pain in the backside, but NEVER leave your guns unattended in a vehicle while you spend the night in a motel. It happened to a couple in AZ back in the late '80s, and I won't do it. And if you leave the room, don't leave them there either. You never know the type of people that're staying there also. Doesn't make it any easier to hear of it happening to others. What Baddog said.

SOBs!! i hate it for these great guys.

there is no good advice for traveling. we cant leave them in the room or in the rig or strap em on our backs. its a shitty risk we take. rico had his entire rig hauled away from a winter range motel a few years ago, single barrel and crazy little woman had a car window smashed for their leather. it goes on and on and it just sucks.

cc

Suggestion: POST ALL THE SERIAL NUMBERS & DESCRIPTION!

With 100,000 SASS members on their trail you never know

what you might turn up....I do like the idea of a big

Cotton Wood and a stiff rope! :ph34r:

Good luck :)

Quick Draw Grandpa

These guns will never see the light of day. Knowing the demographic, these will all be sold off underground.

This really sucks. Were there stickers on the truck? Were they singled out or were other vehicles hit?

As a coin dealer, I am aware of dealers who are targeted at a show and then followed to a restaurant, rest area, or hotel where the vehicle is burgled.

This sucks, these are my brothers.

Stay vigilant.

Fillmore

It may be a pain in the backside, but NEVER leave your guns unattended in a vehicle while you spend the night in a motel. It happened to a couple in AZ back in the late '80s, and I won't do it. And if you leave the room, don't leave them there either. You never know the type of people that're staying there also. Doesn't make it any easier to hear of it happening to others. What Baddog said.

My first thought as well, Griff, but I didn't want to sound like an inconsiderate jerk. I NEVER leave firearms in my vehicle, and if I leave the motel room, the firearms go with me. I am never out of sight of the firearms when traveling to matches. Even when we stop to fill up with gas, one of us stays with the vehicle while the other answers the call of nature. If I am not camping at the range for a multi-day match, there is always a kind soul willing to put your firearms in their camper while you go stay in a motel. Never leave your firearms alone! Ever! Not even for a meal. If we don't have someome at the range watching the firearms, we do carry out or delivery. Sounds paranoid, but we have never lost a firearm. I hope there is justice in this case, but like most thefts, "Did you have insurance?" And it is dropped into the black hole.

Just by chance....start looking at all of the local and area pawn shops that sell guns. Most of these clowns are not too smart. They want money more than they want the guns. Just sayin.

KK

Howdy,

A friend of mine had about a dozen smaller guns stolen from his gunshop.

A few guns were recovered within a year.

One small revolver turned up ten or so years later.

It was traded at a gunshow a thousand miles away and somehow the number

got checked.

And one other thing, one gun had the serial number scratched off.

The county let the dealer remove any parts he wanted but the frame had

to be destroyed.

Hope you have some luck on this.

Best

CR

You guys are sure right about leaving guns in the car/truck. They know better too, but were planning an early departure and just didn't do it. Believe me, they know what a mistake they made.

In the rare event that I stay at a motel... I do leave my guns in the truck.. they are locked in a GUN VAULT in the back of the truck. I won't say that they can't get into it, but it ain't gonna happen very quickly. I also suggest that everyone put a kill switch on the ignition of their vehicle. Even a good thief will have a hard time taking the truck if he can't get it started.

Snakebite

You guys are sure right about leaving guns in the car/truck. They know better too, but were planning an early departure and just didn't do it. Believe me, they know what a mistake they made.

In the rare event that I stay at a motel... I do leave my guns in the truck.. they are locked in a GUN VAULT in the back of the truck. I won't say that they can't get into it, but it ain't gonna happen very quickly. I also suggest that everyone put a kill switch on the ignition of their vehicle. Even a good thief will have a hard time taking the truck if he can't get it started.

Snakebite

+1 0n the gun vault!! I have gone that route. Iinsurance company's don't cover more than $1000-1500 total for guns! We all know that's not even close, especially after a $500 deductible:( This really blows!!!

Ringer

Snakebite since you are the OP,

One question that should be answered here is did the truck have any stickers decals etc that might indicate firearms?

I'm checking.... I can tell you that long ago I remove ALL references to guns or shooting organizations from my vehicles.

snakebite

+1 0n the gun vault!! I have gone that route. Iinsurance company's don't cover more than $1000-1500 total for guns! We all know that's not even close, especially after a $500 deductible:( This really blows!!!

Ringer

Yeah... insurance just doesn't do it. Before I built my own Gun Vault (which turned out very nice indeed), I used a hard side (aluminum) airline gun carrier. Chained it to the floor in such a way that it was very difficult to get any kind of bolt cutters on it. Not as good as the vault, but certainly better than just laying in the floor! When I went to the room, I would chain it to the bed frame or something too large to move with.

Snakebite

This is a real travesty and could hit any of us at any time. We'd like to think that somehow we'd be "smarter..." but really it's impossible to predict.

Gun vaults are great! Except... they have 4 wheels on them. Anyone have a new truck and automatic door locks? I'm not a practiced locksmith... don't need a key and I can be in your truck faster than I can type this message. And if I have a partner.. faster than that.

If there was ever a reason to leave guns at the range "Security" would be #1. It would be really thoughtful if clubs could make provisions for those of us who travel and motel it. Ski resorts have check-in check-out at the slopes; I wonder if that would be possible at major shoots for our guns.

Let's face it, it's not just losing the guns, it's also losing the months and costs that it takes to get them running the way you want them to run.

Yikes!

I hate hearing this stuff. Our guns are treasures, especially once slicked up.

I sure appreciated it the time you locked my guns in your trailer at Chorro Valley so I didn't have to take them to the hotel that Saturday night. Sunday night I took them to my room and didn't leave until the am.

Hubby says no stickers on our cars. So, I wonder about that and if other vehicles were hit too. It could be that thieves just figure there will be something of value, like tools, in a truck.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Our truck was broken into in Tucson after Bordertown a couple of years ago. I had all the guns in locked Evil Roy Americases in the bed of the truck with a thick steel cable running through the handles and the rings in the bed of the truck. I parked in the back of the lot, thinking nobody would even notice my truck. They got everything but our leather and the guns. When the police officer woke me up to tell me about the break in, I was terrified that I would have to explain how I could have been so lazy and stupid as to let the guns get stolen. I was so relieved to see the cases that had been moved, but were still locked and in the truck. The motel had a video of the break-in but nothing ever came of it. The police just were not interested in a property crime but if I ever see some dude in Tucson wearing my black boss of the plains, we're going to have an 'incident." I'm so sorry that happened to you both. Make a list and call your insurance carrier. A lesson for all of us.

Let's face it, it's not just losing the guns, it's also losing the months and costs that it takes to get them running the way you want them to run.

That's the bottom line. It is getting harder and harder to find BSS, earlier .38 Marlins, and USFA pistols. Then if you do luck out finding them, you have to get your favorite gunsmith to tune them up. Then it is off to the range to file pistol sights and put the rifle on paper. Lots of money spent that insurance won't cover.

Speaking of insurance, I bought the NRA insurance to cover all of my firearms. At least I'll get compensated for the firearm(s) itself.

I have a carrier on my insurance policy on the guns I typically take to shoots....check into it....It's really inexpensive.

KK

Sorry to here about the loss.

1. Prayers on the way.

2. Post the serial numbers to any thing missing so all the SASS members can keep a eye too.

3. Check any and all pawn and gun shops you can.

4. We all need to start pulling our guns out of the cars ,This is starting to become a trend.

5. Put a alarm on your car.

God bless and good luck .

Sorry to here about the loss.

1. Prayers on the way.

2. Post the serial numbers to any thing missing so all the SASS members can keep a eye too.

3. Check any and all pawn and gun shops you can.

4. We all need to start pulling our guns out of the cars ,This is starting to become a trend.

5. Put a alarm on your car.

God bless and good luck .

6. remove all decals, stickers that might indicate guns on board.

Sorry to hear this. These are two nice folks. I had the pleasure meeting and shooting with them last year at the Jersey Lilly match. Hope they can get them back in the long run.

I checked in with the boys. There were no stickers on the truck at all. El Lazo wasn't sure if any other vehicles were hit that night. He thinks he probably lost $10K in all. There was insurance but it has it's limitations.

As I mentioned earlier, some vendors have been followed from an event and then hit somewhere along the way. With the location of the Range where they were, this is not likely.

A savvy crook might see them in there cowboy duds and put an annual shooting event nearby together.

My guess is an inside job with a hotel employee who heard why they were there and there you go.

Fillmore

I heard about it the next morning.heard the truck was parked under a tree just where camara couldn't see anything.it had to be an inside job.I met them both at the shoot.nice people.I wish them well.im ready for a good old fashioned Hangin when found.keep your heads up!! Lead ace

I'm not going to add anything to what SHOULD have been done. I think enough Monday evening quarterbacking has been done.

El Lazo, I am very sorry for what happened and I know what a big hit this is. It's also the other stuff, too; not just the guns. It's not a matter of simply replacing these old friends and getting the same response. That won't happen for a while. I am so sorry this happened.

Snakebite ... thanks for the heads up with this information.

Cat Brules

I have a carrier on my insurance policy on the guns I typically take to shoots....check into it....It's really inexpensive.

KK

I recently moved and went through the insurance process.

I was told you indeed could get an additional rider policy on guns. Problem for us was I would have to specifically itemize each gun......with two of us shooting it soon became apparent it would cost to much. Don't forget the $500 deductible per gun/item??

That's when we decided on the truck gun vault, alarm system and locking tailgate that will not open with the auto lock, key only.

Any thing can get stolen, but they are going to have a hard time with mine!

Ringer

My guess is an inside job with a hotel employee who heard why they were there and there you go.

Fillmore

I was staying at the same Motel as the couple who had their firearms stolen. We kept ours with us as we went to dinner. They placed theirs under the beds in the room.

It was a Motel maid who called someone and told them about the guns. While away from the Motel, eating a meal the room was broken into and guns taken. Several years later a few were found, but not all of them. Keep your guns with you and park where you can watch your vehicle while eating in a restaurant. Take them into the room and don't leave without them.

Jake

Archived