SASS Wire Forum

minimum gun requirements

DMW

Hi all,

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I sure can't find it. I really want to get into Cowboy Action Shooting, but I am on a really tight budget. What would be the minimum I would need to be able to participate, as far as guns ?

DMW

Go to a local shoot.....

There will be plenty of handsome cowboys and pretty ladies there that will answer your questions. Take whatever western guns you have and any extra that may be needed will be shared.

Just wear a pair of jeans and a western style shirt so you blend in.

Best to find a local club, show up with what you have & good chance someone will loan you some hardware so you can shoot. We normally have 2 revolvers, 1 rifle & 1 shotgun. If you do this try & take a couple boxes of .38 lead bullets with you & a box of 12 ga #7 or #8 shot. Where do you hail from? That helps us to recommend a local club.

In a match we normally shot 50-60 pistol, same rifle & a box of shotgun.

If you want to buy the right guns the first time, do as mentioned above and go to several matches. When you see a gun you're interested in, ask the owner to tell you about it. Chances are, you'll wind up getting to shoot it a time or two and that will give you a chance to see if you like more than the looks of the gun.

For pistols, lots of folks like Ruger Vaquero's. A used pair of these will run you about $800-$1000. A used Uberti clone of the Winchester Model 66 or Winchester Model 73 will run a little less, and a good shotgun can be had for $400-$500.

Yes, all those can be bought cheaper by making some concessions or going the cap-and-ball route for pistols. You can also double those prices (almost) if you buy high-end, new guns.

Good luck with your hunt and Welcome Aboard!

Most of us cannot afford to buy all the guns and gear at once to get started. It's very common to see someone show up at a match, express interest, and have a bunch of guns, ammo, and leather offered up for that person to try or use for the match. Going to a local match, as suggested, will both allow you to start checking out options, and test them, probably even use them in a match or several. Around here, several of us often loan guns and leather to the new folks while they get outfitted. Courteous thing to do is push the guncart for the cowboy or cowgirl loaning you the stuff, and bring your own ammo if possible. Check with the gun owners for the right kind of ammo for their guns. There is a big variety so it may be difficult to find exactly the right stuff, but, again, check with the locals. And don't think you have to have everything to start. It's perfectly fine to accept the generosity of your new friends; just don't abuse it. Also, while you're talking to them, ask about other locals who might have guns or leather they are wanting to sell. Can often pick up good advice and good deals.

Good luck, and welcome to the Fun.

IMO buy the pistols and the leather first. Long guns are plentiful and more importantly easy to borrow. Nothing is harder than taking off your rig every stage and a new shooter putting it on every stage.....we do it....but it's more relaxing and pleasant NOT to if you can. Long guns are abundant and many shooters have extra there, at home they can bring and even for sale so you can test drive them....so again IMO get pistols and leather first because long guns are easier to borrow.

As you recover by one long guns…..then the other.

If your REALLY tight just get the holsters for what you intend to buy later the new Ruger Vaquero and all the Colt clones can use the same holster...it will make borrowing guns much easier.

I am new to SASS and although have been researching for a couple of years, have only just started to get serious a couple of months ago and shot my first match last week. All of the advice and websites mentioned are great resources.

The best thing you can do is a ton of web searches, go in early and watch a few matches and troll your local gun stores, gun shows and follow the pricing scenarios on places like gunbroker and of course, the SASS Wire.

Eventually, you will need to pull out the credit card and I believe Cowboy Junky offers excellent advice. The leather is a good place to start altough I've seen one gentlemen who forgot his leather and shot from his jean pockets. Deciding on a set is tricky as the price range and setup can be very confusing. Believe it or not, I use a single buscadero rig for a single six - yup a .44 vaquero fits in there. Then, I bought a shotgun belt for a decent price and attached a Galco cross draw on that, so it looks like a two gun rig. Works well for me, until I decide what I prefer as I shoot more.

Beg, borrow or use your old Blackhawks and SBH if you can as they are allowed in SASS and can be had for pretty cheap. I've even seen those huge 10 inchers out there and they actually look and shoot fine. Once you decide you want to stay in the game, then the huge investment opportunities can be decided.

- DJ

Hi all,

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I sure can't find it. I really want to get into Cowboy Action Shooting, but I am on a really tight budget. What would be the minimum I would need to be able to participate, as far as guns ?

In addition to what others have said, *immediately* change your profile to add your location; for all any of us know, you may be living next door (or at least within driving distance) of someone who can help. Hook up with them as soon as possible, as far in advance of the next match as you can manage. If you happen to be in northern New England, for example, I can arm the two of us no problem. If you're tall and "dstinguished" around the middle, I can even dress you.

I recently ran the numbers, and the absolute cheapest you can expect to go (unless you go the cap-and-ball route) is a total $1500 for guns and leather; unless you can afford to jump all in, plan on taking several months to assemble your own stuff. In the meantime, dress yourself at the Salvation Army and expect to borrow the essentials.

Find out the name and number of the contact person for that club you want to attend. Call them a week or so before the match and tell them what you have and what you would like to shoot. Most will have you a selections of guns waiting for yo that you can use for the shoot.

Yeah, If you tell him you want to shoot 38/357 and 12 ga, take enough ammo of your own to cover the match.

I started actually shooting last February, but I started acquiring my several months before. I’m sure like most; I bought a piece at a time. I started with the revolvers first then leather, shotgun saving the rifle for last. My thoughts were the handguns take the most time to master (and you may want to try different styles of shooting to determine holster rig you’ll need). The leather next, allows you to start handgun transitions,etc. Now after watching a few matches I noticed most folks had problems with their shotguns, so I got that next with six snap-caps. Lastly I got my rifle. I still shoot with close I had in the closet. But now that my wife is getting involved I see that changing. Just something to add to the already great advise.

Coho

Howdy Pard

This question comes up on the Wire every now and then.

Nobody ever mentions that in the shotgun department you can shoot a single shot with an extractor.

Will you be a speed demon with this choice? Nope.

Will it get you "in the game" faster? Probably.

And at $100 you'll have a decent backup gun for the 97 you'll probably get later that keeps breaking.

(Least-wise that' what keeps happening to me).:lol:

Have a good time gathering your stuff. It can be lots of fun.

When I first started I printed up about 20 cards and passed them out at one of the matches I went to watch.

The card read something like:

Howdy, My new cowboy alias is Waimea.

I still need the following stuff to join the Game:

1. Shotgun

2. Rifle

3. Holsters

Later that day I bought a shotgun. And the next month I bought a rifle.

Both from great Pards that gave me a great price because they wanted to help out the "New Guy".

The card was a great ice breaker too.

Ride easy,

Waimea

:FlagAm:

And, of course, there is no maximum. Once you get hooked you will acquire all sorts of guns you suddenly find you can't live without.

+1.

It's a disease!:lol:

Waimea

Howdy Pard

This question comes up on the Wire every now and then.

Nobody ever mentions that in the shotgun department you can shoot a single shot with an extractor.

You can shoot a single shot with an ejector too. :lol: Just pokin' the lion a little there ;)

+1 to what everybody else said. This game ain't cheap to get into. Expect to spend about $2000 just on guns & leather, if you find them at bargain prices!

You don't need to splurge on clothing unless you want to. Jeans and an old work shirt will do - or an old dress shirt. Button-downs ain't period correct, but very few folk would call you on it. (You could even cut the collar off, and it would be similar to a period "band" collar.)

You can shoot a single shot with an ejector too. :lol: Just pokin' the lion a little there ;)

Dang it, that's what I meant to say!!

Thanks fer pointing it out, J Bar.

Waimea

All good advice so far. For those prospective shooters, I would suggest that you attend a local match before buying any guns or leather. Otherwise you might buy something and find out later it doesn't work as well as you thought it would. The gunleather that works best is not usually on the rack at your local big box store. Cowboy shooters can steer you to vendors who sell stuff that works for this sport. I get catalogs in the mail from several shooting supply houses. They often have western looking leather which might be perfectly good for some purposes but would not be good for cowboy action shooting.

Before you buy a gun, come out and look at what people are using. Ask about caliber choices, brands, and features. Cowboy shooters like talking guns and showing what they have. It's like Consumer Reports in person.

If (or when) you are ready to buy, you might find a good deal on used guns through a local SASS club. We have two new families shooting with our club. In the last couple of months they have picked up three revolvers, two rifles, two shotguns and gunleather at good prices from other shooters. Sometimes with the used guns you can "try before you buy". I have seen some really good deals on reloading equipment and clothing.

There is a "price to play", for sure. You don't want to pay twice by buying too soon.

For leather, check with your state department of corrections. My first rig was top notch and was made by an inmate doing life. Wrote him and told him what I wanted and he wrote back with a price of $150.00 for belt, 6 rd shotgun slide, & two holsters. Sent half the money up front to his imate account and the rest when he wrote me that it was finished. A week & a half later a box shows up in the mail & inside was a lined heavy leather rig. Holsters are lined with steel between the outer leather and inner lining with Tx Ranger conchos on the holsters. 17 years later and they still look like new. Bought 3 more rigs from him.

There's an absolute first step you must take before you do anything else, but you won't take it until it's too late. Just like the rest of us.

Your choice of guns and leather will be determined by the kind of shooter you expect to be. If you want to be fast, you're going to probably want something like Vaqueros with 4" barrels and really good holsters made to fit. This is usually the most expensive option. If you want to be authentic, are into it more for the clothing and fantasy, or for old-timey guns, there are almost no constraints and prices are considerably lower. If you ask for generic "what guns should I get" advice, what you get will be slanted toward speed by default.

what you get will be slanted toward speed by default.

Just Say, "NO"! Them drugs'll do yuh in! Whaddaya mean that's not the kind of "speed" he means? It's the only kind of "speed" I know.... 'Course they break out the sundial when I step to the line... Sorry, just couldn't resist... :rolleyes:

Good luck on your quest!

Archived