SASS Wire Forum

If ya knew you only had one year to go......

Two Spurs

Wolfgang's thread got me to thinking about how we look at our day...life in general as it were.

If you knew that you only had one year to go before you cashed in your chips (or maybe freeze-dried for a ton of years- Stallone movie???) how would you fill the time?

Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Hi Two Spurs,

I've given this some thought for a few years (my cancer and the death of my Mom did that to me). I'd sell all my "stuff," mostly clothing and sewing things so Hubby wouldn't have to deal with them after I was gone. I'd ensure that all important income stuff was bequeathed to him without effort on his part.

I think you might have been looking for more of a "bucket list;" :unsure: however, these are the things that concern me now.

Regards,

Allie Mo

My will has been made out for years so my material stuff is not an issue. Financially, my widow would be in good shape so that's also covered.

My time would be spent with family, friends loved ones letting them know that I am OK with this because I have led a good life and just want to leave them with good memories while I can still give them. Last thing I want is for the last memory of me to be a lump in a bed with tubes and wires sticking out.

My wife wood git all da money stuff, so no worries der.

My children wood git to fight over my guns and reloading equipment.

And again, my wife wood git my saddle.

But what wood I do in da mean time ? Love my wife more deeply and git to more SASS Matchs fer shore !

I'm not sure, but there'd be some really sick folks at the credit card companies when I'm gone!! :lol::lol::lol:

My motorcycle would get one more new paint job and tune up!! Way more miles to be put on it! S.A.S.S. matches on my ol' scooter would be just the be all and end all!!

Schoolmarm and my mom and brother know what to do with me when I'm done and the left overs are all spoken for!!

Figure out who would give my cats a good home and figure who to leave my guns and other minor things to. Then I would shoot as much as I could as many places as I could and visit people who were important to me at different times in my life. If I could come up with the money I would go to Africa on a photo safari (gee why would I want photos I don't know). I would go to as many matches as I could possibly go to.

Travel.

See Scotland, the Antipodes, Rome, Hawaii, Micronesia, Alaska, Scandinavia, Israel, Chile, and Paris, Prague, Bavaria (again). Sail the English Channel, Bass Straight, Mollicia Channel, Windward Passage, the Caribbean.

Piss off every TSA agent I could.

You know, the usual.

Having the knowledge wouldn't free me up to do whatever I wanted as the money just isn't there.

I would do my best to make sure all my affairs were in order to ease the burden on my survivors.

I would continue to work so as to keep money coming in.

I would make sure folks knew how I felt about them and spend as much time with them doing enjoyable things.

Now if the death sentence magically came with a ton of cash, well, then I do have a list :D

First I'd go to Italy then I'd sell my house and everything in it except my cowboy stuff and buy a motor home or trailer and travel around the country. I'd like to meet and shoot with some of you pards. I'd like to go out in Tombstone and ya'll can just throw my ashes there at boothill or load 'em in some shotgun shells and with a healthy dose of black powder shoot me down range!

Rye :)

Ideally, Catherine and I would travel the USA to see the things I have always wanted to see, especially things out west. Realistically, however, it would probably be sent trying to pay down any outstanding personal debt so she would not have to deal with it afterwards. Regardless, I would spend as much time with her as possible, and do the best I know how to let my remaining time be a testimony to my faith.

If that were the fact I fear I would not get done a lot of things I want to do........

.......So,......I believe I would finish teachin' my boys how to play guitars. I'd spend every second I could with my baby girl. I'd love my wife in every way a woman needs to be loved.

Most likely my folks, my brother and sister, and all other would be left to tell people what I did and what I stood for.

Other that that, I'd buy a nice hole in the ground somewhere.

I've always had what some of my close friends and family say is a cold way of lookin' at this. That is....Dyin' is just a part of livin', it happens to us all.

Here recently a very dear friend of mine gave me a sweeter way of lookin' at it. I think this way is more of a comfort for those left behind.

Everything.....EVERYTHING......is on it's way to somewhere.

I sure would miss all of ya! But I'd get to go up yonder and meet a few that have went on before us.

~EE~

OH....I almost forgot....I'd catch a day ....'bout sixty-five degrees with a nice breeze blowin'.......and just sit outside and feel the wind on me.

At age 51 I'm dealing with and battling stage 4 prostate cancer right now (found it May 2011) and I know that I probably won't make retirement age. In fact, I have a 20% chance or less of making it 5 years. I'm trying to take in as much fun as I can and starting this CAS is one of those things I want to do before I go. I am an avid hunter and have been hunting out west several times and I plan on antelope hunting Wyoming in Oct.

My wife and I plan to take some trips the next couple of years and especially to the Southwest so I can see and visit such places as Tombstone, Prescott, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc. I'd love to take in Trails End next year as a part of a SW tour as well.

Except for our mortgage we are debt free and my insurance policies and 401K should take care of my wife until she passes. We are also in the middle of a lawsuit against my former doctor as he missed my cancer not once but twice in 18 months when I had a 14 PSA and then 131 PSA. The trial is set for next year (Sept 2013). If we get anything at all we plan to take a cruise to Alaska and I plan to hunt brown bear while there as well. A WW2 battlefield tour in Europe with my son is also on my bucket list.

After going through the cancer with my wife and all that she had to go through.I started doing more of what we wanted to do,so if I only had a year we would just do more of what we are doing now.

As everyone says, make sure the practicalities are fully arranged: insurance papers, pensions, money. Most everything is in joint-tenancy with Calico to avoid probate. No debts.

We could travel some, but not extravagantly. I haven't been to Washington State or Alaska; would like to travel together to Ireland and England; New England in the autumn. I have a fund for just that purpose. Make sure I'd top a few mountains on horseback at every chance. In fact, doing that last one on Saturday, again.

I'd visit my siblings and inlaws, and tell them just what I think of them. They are the salt of the earth, fine, upstanding people, and I love them dearly - no ifs, ands or buts.

I would express to all my CAS friends how much I value their friendship and opinions, especially those on the OTHER side of the political fence. People who agree with me don't exercise my brain! But, of course, today this paragraph can be disregarded.....;)

Most importantly, I would show (and tell) my wife how much I love her, daily, as I do now.

And finally, I WOULD MAKE HER DO THIS YEAR'S TAX RETURN, DARN IT!:lol:

Salud, dinero y amor, amigos!

eGG

I notice one reoccurring theme in all these answers. While trips, toys, wants are mentioned, in every single one, Family and close friends (which are Family By Choice) are center stage. No other sport can lay claim to being as family oriented as ours, even if nobody in our direct Family shoots CAS with us like in my case.

That makes me proud to be part of this august Family....

We are also in the middle of a lawsuit against my former doctor as he missed my cancer not once but twice in 18 months when I had a 14 PSA and then 131 PSA.

I don't have all of the facts of course, but it is hard to believe a doc would overlook a PSA value above 6 or 7. Several things can elevate the PSA a little without it being cancer, e.g. recent intercourse, enlarged prostate, or prostatitis, but not at the level of 14, much less 131. That is malpractice.

Not sure to much would change. I have a job I love( school maintenance) and am surrounded every day by a few hundred kids I think the world of. I would work as long as I could. I also would spend as much time as possible with my daughters.

My only regret would be knowing my time with Miss Barbara was coming to a close.

Archived